Destination Weddings Discussions

New Friday night rules

Well tonight is the first Fridsy night my dtr must stay home and not go stay up her fathers. She usually goes from Friday-Sunday....since she was little. Most of you know what took place a month ago and some of her punishment is ending. Why you ask is this new Friday rule??? Well her idiot father never told me he got a new job and works Friday nights from 8 PM until 4 AM. Therefore, my dtr can pretty much do anything during this time because nobody is around to see where she is going or when she comes home. Let's face it, a 17 yr old more than likely will not be just sitting at her dads house! Am I being too over protective?
~jenn~ Photobucket Anniversary

Re: New Friday night rules

• I think you are doing the right thing. She needs to earn your trust back.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I don't think so, besides isn't the point of her to go to her father's to spend time with him? She would just be sitting there by herself or causing trouble. I think she is probably happy that you made this new rule, even though she'll never tell you. Great way for you guys to spend some quality time together! :)
    ~*~ Ask me about DW Knottie of the Day and Nestie of the Day! ~*~

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I don't necessarily think that you are being too over protective especially because of what happened last month.  Plus when you took her cell phone away, she just went out and got a new one.  I think that is a little too secretive for me.  Please remember that I do not have kids so my be completely wrong.
    Anniversary imagemy read shelf:
    Cathy (CathyL7910)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Ya, getting the other cell phone really put me over the edge! A bunch of my family members are going out to dinner so now she can join us....and Lora, your right, if he's not home what's the point. Her cousin does live there too and they are like sisters but she can still hang out with her Saturday and Sunday! Erin, that is a huge thing fir me too, I don't trust her tight now. I would just be worried about where she was.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-theme-boards_destination-weddings_new-friday-night-rules?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Theme BoardsForum:54Discussion:778417a0-7a1d-49b7-be27-8e7463fa6007Post:a60cb645-4ba3-4bc0-816f-a657698b9d92">Re: New Friday night rules</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't necessarily think that you are being too over protective especially because of what happened last month.  Plus when you took her cell phone away, she just went out and got a new one.  I think that is a little too secretive for me.  <strong>Please remember that I do not have kids so my be completely wrong.
    </strong>Posted by Cathyl7910[/QUOTE]

ditto
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Ohhh boy.  I shouldn't say this, but you don't want to know what I would have been doing when I was 17 put in that situation haha!

I agree w/ PP, the whole point is for her to be spending time with him, so now there's no reason for her to be there until Saturday.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I think you are being a good mom.  Your daughter may think otherwise, but really you are doing the right thing.  She doesn't need to end up pregnant at 17, like we did. 
  • I agree, you are doing the right thing.  She abused your trust and needs to earn it back.  I know if I was 17 and had that freedom I would have been up to no good!
    imageAnniversary
  • Exactly Kimmy! Ok, I'm glad you all agree. I feel bad cause I never have to punish her and now that I had to this month, I feel bad. I did stick to my guns with the car and phone and because she was sneaky and got a trac phone I'm not giving her back her cell for a while, but she will get her car on the 2nd like I said.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-theme-boards_destination-weddings_new-friday-night-rules?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Theme BoardsForum:54Discussion:778417a0-7a1d-49b7-be27-8e7463fa6007Post:56077ea7-c595-41d1-9fe8-3dfee1b8a68d">Re: New Friday night rules</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ohhh boy.  I shouldn't say this, but you don't want to know what I would have been doing when I was 17 put in that situation haha! I agree w/ PP, the whole point is for her to be spending time with him, so now there's no reason for her to be there until Saturday.
    Posted by EmilyL113[/QUOTE]

Lol, I know what I was doing at 17 too, that's how I ended up with a baby at that age!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-theme-boards_destination-weddings_new-friday-night-rules?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Theme BoardsForum:54Discussion:778417a0-7a1d-49b7-be27-8e7463fa6007Post:d1b121e5-9a53-456b-9a46-94df3a32d468">Re: New Friday night rules</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think you are being a good mom.  Your daughter may think otherwise, but really you are doing the right thing.  She doesn't need to end up pregnant at 17, like we did. 
    Posted by kimmykupcakes[/QUOTE]

Kimmy took the words right out my mouth!!!  I was a great student and a well behaved teenager at 17.... but yet.... still made bad choices... and at 34 have an almost 16 yr old!

So I think you are doing the right thing... she might not be happy now but she will understand one day.  I'm sure my daughter would love to switch places... she went to her dad's house today but was begging me to let her stay with me...lol
    Jen's Bio ~ Updated 4/30/2012
    The day I married my best friend!

Anniversary
  • You're 110% in the right.  My question is what's he going to do with her on NYE?  Is he going to stay home and watch her?

• I came from a very protective house, TRUST ME she will love you for it one day. \

I don't know what happened last month but don't back down, you aren't being too protective, she is your baby and you don't want to see her make mistakes. && I agree she will understand when she has a daughter of her own one day Laughing
  • Lindsay~ I believe her cousin will be there with her because she lives there as well. They are 2 yrs apart and more like sisters. She also works till 9 pm tomorrow night and 8 am Sunday morning so she will probably won't do much. Lindz~ to make a long story short, FI and I went away and her father is supposed to have her Friday-Sunday. He called me at 11:15 looking for her when he's supposed to get her around 6 pm. Turns out she was at our house with one of her friends and 6 boys, three were drinking and someone stole about $250 from the house. It took her 3 days to finally tell me the truth on how many pple were there and who they were. She's been grounded since Dec 2.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards