Texas-Dallas and Ft. Worth

Coordinator?

So, the more I get into my wedding plans, the more I think I would LOVE to do this on a regular basis, like maybe work at a wedding venue. So, any advice from the brides who have either hired a coordinator, or used a coordinator that was provided by your venue? 

Re: Coordinator?

• bsn1752bsn1752 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My venue provides one
  • cfibelkorncfibelkorn member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    you can google how to be a wedding coordinator and there are a million results :)
  • edited December 2011
    My venue provides a day of coordinator, and they also have a girl that is in charge of all the decorations.

The venue is kind of like an "all in one" place and if you pay for the package, they will do ALL the decorating (ceremony and reception) for you. You meet with the decorating coordinator, and go over your vision, pick our your colors, and tell her exactly what you want and she does it all for you. From centerpieces, to linens, to chair sashs and covers, to cake table decorations, to pew decor. It's fabulous for someone like me who doesn't want to pay for an outside coordinator, but doesn't want to do all of that myself either. I just have a vision, explain it, and someone else takes care of it all! Perfect!

I found myself thinking that would be a fun job sometimes, too. Better than sitting behind a desk every day!

But, then I realize I would have to give up my weekends that I have time with friends, and FI, and I realize 8-5 M-F doesn't sound too bad afterall ;)
  • bsn1752bsn1752 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    NMac2010 - where is your wedding?
  • edited December 2011
    The Country Abbey, in Justin.

It's a small venue, nothing super fancy, but they're pretty great. We just googled "affordable wedding venues in dfw" and it popped up, and when we visited, FI ended up knowing the owners. Small world. The church was build in like 1898, which we both think is pretty neat! The owners bought it about 5 years ago, and turned it into a wedding venue.
  • edited December 2011
    There is some course or something. I've thought that too, but I'll just stick with helping my friends and family for now.

I am looking for a coordinator. My venue provides one, but she's not really a coordinator. They normally ask what they have to do and that's how they judge how much they will charge. The more work the more we have to pay. Also, depending on the budget, how many people are in the wedding, how many days you want them for, etc. Hope that helps.
    Update 6/13/2010
    June 2011 SiggyChallenge: Wedding Cake
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    A lot of the venues I looked at had event planners on staff -  are you thinking of looking into a job at a reception venue? I visited a bunch of places I hadn't necessarily thought of as wedding venues - art galleries, museums, restaurants - and a bunch of them had dedicated event planners. It wouldn't always be weddings at a place like that, but it's another option. Then there's always country clubs and hotels ... I think all of them had someone on staff for that. So, if you're interested, maybe you could job shadow someone or look for a job going that route.

I found my planner via a reception venue, although she's an independent planner/coordinator. Early on there was a venue I loved and was in my budget. I mentioned I was looking for an affordable planner and they made a recommendation. I didn't even wind up booking that space, but I still really liked everything about it and trusted their referral.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards