Wedding Etiquette Forum

A phone call or another postcard in the mail?

We are cancelling our AHR that was set for October due to a conflict with my new job that will start in a month or so (can't take the amount of time off we wanted to). We literally sent out the wedding announcement/save-the-date a week ago! And now we are cancelling. We are going home back to Maine and New Hampshire at the end of next month because it was cheaper (-$600) to fly at that time and we can take a full 2 weeks to split between the states/families and really enjoy our vacation. The guest list was 110 people. Should I send out ANOTHER postcard to make this announcement? Make a few more personal phone calls to explain the situation? Luckily it's so early that no one has made any big plans for October, I just feel like an idiot cancelling this party a week after we said to save-the-date. Such is my luck.
PersonalMilestone Anniversary

Re: A phone call or another postcard in the mail?

• Forgive me what does AHR mean? I personally would do phone calls to answer questions, a new invite will make people confused i would think.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Dream Honeymoon/Actual Honeymoon Disneyworld Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • AHR = At home reception
  • kara811kara811 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    At Home Reception.

I would do a postcard again to formally announce the cancellation/postponement. That would be a lot of phone calls to make for 110 guests. 
  • I think that a printed postcard or note will suffice
  • ESquared423ESquared423 member
    First Comment
    edited May 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_phone-call-another-postcard-mail?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:7acd45b9-8e9e-43ad-b6b0-021a3eb5c3f2Post:6fd13654-b391-4a56-bd85-f6c19267cf05">Re: A phone call or another postcard in the mail?</a>:
    [QUOTE]At Home Reception. I would do a postcard again to formally announce the cancellation/postponement. <strong>That would be a lot of phone calls to make for 110 guests. </strong>
    Posted by kara811[/QUOTE]

True. I was going to have my husband call his side and me call mine..our list divides up pretty evenly, and even though it's 110 guests, some are families of 4 or 5 and couples and so on, so I guess it'd probably be about 30 phones calls each to make. I just feel bad/weird sending the save-the-date and then 3 or 4 weeks later here comes another postcard saying 'oops, nevermind'. I didn't anticipate going back to work until the fall, but I got a job opportunity that was EXACTLY what I need/want, so I wasn't going to let it pass by because of a party. It is what it is I guess, hopefully everyone understands and seeing them much sooner than expected will be nice.

ETA: What do you think the postcard/note should say? "Due to an unexpected conflict with work and not being able to take the time off we had hoped for, we are regrettably cancelling the reception planned for October 15, 2011. We will be making a trip home mid-summer and hope to see you during that time. Thank you for understanding. Love, E + E"
  • I would call. I do think people would be confused and/or have quesitons.But I'm a people person, so that is my comfort zone.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_phone-call-another-postcard-mail?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:7acd45b9-8e9e-43ad-b6b0-021a3eb5c3f2Post:64014ca1-6745-47f1-abed-db46c4ece118">Re: A phone call or another postcard in the mail?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: A phone call or another postcard in the mail? : True. I was going to have my husband call his side and me call mine..our list divides up pretty evenly, and even though it's 110 guests, some are families of 4 or 5 and couples and so on, so I guess it'd probably be about 30 phones calls each to make. I just feel bad/weird sending the save-the-date and then 3 or 4 weeks later here comes another postcard saying 'oops, nevermind'. I didn't anticipate going back to work until the fall, but I got a job opportunity that was EXACTLY what I need/want, so I wasn't going to let it pass by because of a party. It is what it is I guess, hopefully everyone understands and seeing them much sooner than expected will be nice. ETA: What do you think the postcard/note should say? "Due to an unexpected conflict with work and not being able to take the time off we had hoped for, we are regrettably cancelling the reception planned for October 15, 2011. We will be making a trip home mid-summer and hope to see you during that time. Thank you for understanding. Love, E + E"
    Posted by ESquared423[/QUOTE]

Do you expect anything to change between now and October?  October is still far away...

If not, I think you're sample is fine.  It's a bit wordy, but it's a complicated situations, so what can you do?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_phone-call-another-postcard-mail?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:7acd45b9-8e9e-43ad-b6b0-021a3eb5c3f2Post:3ab3e2da-5cf8-47d5-bc9e-b3e2f21097de">Re: A phone call or another postcard in the mail?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: A phone call or another postcard in the mail? : Do you expect anything to change between now and October?  October is still far away... If not, I think you're sample is fine.  It's a bit wordy, but it's a complicated situations, so what can you do?
    Posted by Joy2611[/QUOTE]

I know it's months off, but I don't anticipate a change. The job will only allow me  to take one week off (instead of the 2 we had hoped for) so, once you take out the 2 days for travel time/re-adjusting to the 6 hour time change, we would have 2 days in New Hampshire with his familiy and 3 days in Maine with mine..and one of those days is the AHR which will be busy and crazy..fun, but crazy. It just seems way too hectic. For $600 less we can go for 2+ weeks in the summertime and just relax, ya know?

I agree..I think the example I gave was wordy..I wasn't sure how to condense it any more without sounding too vague. I think we're just going to opt for making personal phone calls. And I was thinking, whoever we didn't get a chance to speak with before going home in a couple weeks, we'll see them then and can just inform them while we're home.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards