North Carolina-Outer Banks

Liquor License

where do i go to get the one time use liquor license? did anyone else have to do this?

Re: Liquor License

• I have to do this for my July wedding because my caterer doesn't have a license to provide hard liquor, even though they can serve it if I provide it.  I haven't done it yet, but they told me to go to the NC ABC commission and get the Limited Special Occasion Permit:  http://abc.nc.gov/application/menu.aspx?f=31

The cost is $50 and it looks like it requires a copy of your criminal background report from the state you reside and info about your rental contract for where the liquor will be served. 

Guess I shouldn't wait much longer to get on that... thanks for the reminder!

• my wedding is may 5 :(
  • You should then hire bartenders that have the license, I think that would cover you! Check Charlenes recent post on bartenders
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • enichole22, do it as quickly as possible it takes a few weeks they told me but they will work with you if its very close.

Wedding Countdown Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • Once again, this board is the best... thanks for bringing this up; forgot this was something we needed to look into!  Thanks!
  • An update.  I talked to my caterer, after wondering if I really needed this since they own a restaurant and have a license.  I think their license is specific to their location (restaurant).  We will need to get it, which  I am working on now.  Also, she told me that if we are transporting alcohol across the VA/MD border (We are) having the liquor license would help us if we did happen to get stopped.  While this is unlikely, its still good peace of mind for only $50. ;)
  • I am also working on getting the liquor license for my daughter's wedding. Here is what I have learned: Since the wedding is at an event home and my name is the one on the rental agreement, the license has to be in my name. I also rechecked with our caterer and yes we must have the license, because his license only covers serving liquor at his restaurant. Spoke to Diane Burch at the NC ABC Comission office and she also confirmed this. Read all the instruction on the application. A criminal background check is required for the person whose name will be on the license. If you live in Maryland, that means one has to get fingerprinted ($20 fee) and then request a state background check ($18 fee). The license cost $50 but it has to paid by a certified check (my bank charged a $1 fee for the check). The license has to be notarized (free at my bank) but the county I live in charges a $1 fee for authnicating the notary. I spent the entire afternoon yesterday figuring this all out. Tomorrow afternoon I have an appointment to get fingerprinted. This has been a major pain! $50 has turned into $90!! But I will do it, don't want to do anything that could get the reception shut down if the ABC board decides to do random inspections the day of my daughter's wedding! Our caterer also suggested having the licenses handy the day of the wedding. Post somewhere on the front of the house or give to caterer or the wedding planner.
  • Just for a shot at the easy route I tried the bartenders for hire group. Unfortunately even when you hire them you still have to get your lisence. They don't have one either. Guess the real way solution is serve beer and wine! Haha. My crew won't settle for that. Looks like I will be taking a day off to get the lisence too.
  • Jen, your profile says "DC AREA" are you in VA or MD?  Or actually DC?  Haha!  We are in VA.  The requirements for NC ABC is that you get a background check from the county in which you live.  This was actually really easy for me.  I just went to a Loudoun County Sheriff's dept, paid $7 and they checked my background in less than 10 minutes, I left with a notorized document.  The application you fill out has to be notarized.  Luckily for me, my mom is a notary and works with me.  The VA notary rules basically just say that she can't do it for a spouse or in a situation where she is benefitted directly.  I got a cashier's check from my bank for $50.  My bank charged me $10 ;(  You can also just go to 7-11 and get a money order for much cheaper, but I didn't have the time today.

The only thing that is holding me up now, is there is a section on the application where the owner of the property is supposed to fill it out.  Well, I have my notarized form in VA, so I can't get the Fearings to fill it out.  I called the NC ABC, they said we could just include a copy of our signed event agreement from  108 Budleigh.   I thought great!  Until I realized that Bonnie never sent me a countersigned copy of our agreement :(  I only have one with my signature.  I have emailed and called her and am waiting for a response.  Until then, everything else is done.  I only have 3 1/2 weeks left though!
  • How far in advance can you get the license? We will be getting married in Oct...this seems like a hassle, something I'd rather try to take care of now rather than later!
    115 Invited image
    73 Accepted image
    37 Declined image
    5 Are MIA image
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • hmmm, kjerl, not sure.  Call the NC ABC though.  The lady there is VERY helpful :)

• After reading through the licensure requirements, glad we decided not to have an event home~sounds like some red tape for sure~ will be worth it for your receptions~never knew these things~interesting for sure.  :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • jendem8jendem8 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    Make sure to verify whether or not you need a license with your caterer and/or bartender.  We're using Kelly's and they have an off-site ABC license... so we don't have to do anything, even though we're bringing the liquor!
    image June 22, 2012
  • Definitely verify though, because our caterer, Ortega'z does not have an offsite liquor license
  • Just Dropped the license paperwork in the mail!!! We are in Fairfax County VA so went to the criminal records place, got my background check 10, made a copy of my rental agreement from village realty 0 snuck it in at work, got the cashiers check and notary at the bank 50 our bank did both for free. Quite a series of errands for why seems like a small detail. Now I'm moving on to event insurance. Have you guys tackled this yet? I think it will be easier, but my regular insurance agent homeowners can't write it because it's outside of VA. She recommended specialeventinsurance.com.
  • We are actually using Kelly's ( at 108 Budleigh) - thanks for letting me know about the off site license.
    115 Invited image
    73 Accepted image
    37 Declined image
    5 Are MIA image
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • jendem8jendem8 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    Awesome!  We're at 108 Budleigh as well... good choices! Smile
    image June 22, 2012
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards