Wedding Photography and Videography Forum

"featured photographer on the knot"

Does anyone know How and why a photographer becomes one of the "featured" photographer on the knot? I'm trying to decide on a photographer and wanted to know if it was due to rankings or reviews or other criteria? Thanks!

Re: "featured photographer on the knot"

• Angie.LapkovAngie.Lapkov member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    They are "featured" because they pay for the spot. I don't believe there are criterias or ranking or any of that stuff.
  • edited December 2011
    Which featured section? Do you mean the Best of Weddings?
    "If wine is getting in the way of your work, get rid of the work."
    Updated Bio
    E-mail Me!
  • iselbgiselbg member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I have no idea how these companies get rated we used Diamond Productions located in Clark, NJ  which was featured on the Knot. I saw a fancy plaque in their office that had the Knot on it. We now had to hire a lawyer to get our video and wedding album! We got married 17 months ago and it's a huge mess! Check as many references and posts as you can. Get EVERYTHING in writing before the wedding day! Good luck!!

• edited December 2011

I would definitely meet with the photographers whose work you love and whose personality you like.  Then meet with them and find out if you click! Someone said to me that you the person who will be with you most on your wedding day other their your groom is your photographer - so LOVE them & their work!

Check out  http://www.ashleytheresephotography.com

• edited December 2011
    It's the $200 a month cost for the better ad space. I'm a vendor.
  • edited December 2011
    Being featured doesn't guarantee some good work. You'd need to use other ways to find out about the quality of the work. I used samples, previous weddings' full albums from the photographer and checked out some wedding websites to see if I wasnt seeing anything bad about the company.
    At the end I was more than satisfied with the work(and the price too). Just in case you wonder, I used Dreams Sudio Photography.

• dcnzweddingdcnzwedding member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Angie is right!...they more they pay , the more they get publicity...lol

I have visit a "big name" photographer thinking he is the one who will be taking my photos on my wedding day...lol..lol... NOooooooo

they told me that i will meet my photographer on my engagement session ( ohhh!)
    besides they told me that he is the owner and they have like 10 photographers and they do like 3 weddings every weekend so they are "great"...hummm 

I dont even know any of these 10 photographer and i am going to pay them $6000 for my wedding photos?....oh noo noo noo

• irisleafirisleaf member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    All the featured photographers are listed by how much they pay each year to be listed here on The Knot. 

Many of these companies have been around for a while and do lots of weddings every year, and they do tend to charge alot for there photography.

I would go by who is featured here but by reviews from previous clients, the amount you are willing to pay, and ALWAYS MEET THEM FIRST.  If you don't mesh well then you won't mesh well on your day.

Pick a photographer you love, (their work, personality, price, and customer service)

That is how I am picking my photographer, (and BTW my day job is photography too, so I am very critical of workmanship and customer service)
  • edited December 2011
    Just trust your gut... there are plenty of websites giving away 'virtual awards' for photographers, and like others have said, most of them are paid for. Choose someone because you absolutely love their work.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards