Wedding Invitations & Paper

when to send my invites out-- wedding is june 18

My wedding is June18

My rsvp date is May 21-- now I am thinking this is too early to rsvp but I can't change the invitations now.

Should I send out my invitations next week like planned? This is 11 weeks from the wedding but only 6 weeks from the rsvp date.

thanks ladies
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: when to send my invites out-- wedding is june 18

• 11wks is WAY too early.

Send out April 23rd...4wks for rsvp is pretty standard.

on the rules for this board it says 6-10 weeks and I thought that was too wide of a range.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I disagree.  I think you could send the invites out anytime this month and no one will think it's too early.
    Anniversary
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_send-invites-out-wedding-june-18?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:a83f3e66-f06e-481d-a478-0710d6f3c3f5Post:0de3dbb6-2845-468e-af23-80a6bcc3ba92">Re: when to send my invites out-- wedding is june 18</a>:
    [QUOTE]I disagree.  I think you could send the invites out anytime this month and no one will think it's too early.
    Posted by sbolger17[/QUOTE]

6-8wks is the preferred timing on TK and I believe this is ideal.
  • Postage is going up April 17 ... so I would send them out within the next couple weeks to save a bit of $$. 
    Anniversary
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_send-invites-out-wedding-june-18?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:a83f3e66-f06e-481d-a478-0710d6f3c3f5Post:d96a26e3-179a-4d0d-90db-064c4780d4ab">when to send my invites out-- wedding is june 18</a>:
    [QUOTE]My wedding is June18 My rsvp date is May 21-- now I am thinking this is too early to rsvp but I can't change the invitations now. Should I send out my invitations next week like planned? This is 11 weeks from the wedding but only 6 weeks from the rsvp date. thanks ladies
    Posted by heinz11msw[/QUOTE]
    Would you mind if I sent you a PM about this?
    Siggy Challenge: Bridesmaid Dresses
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • gemini- oh no! I already put stamps on all my envelopes!

cindy- sure!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_send-invites-out-wedding-june-18?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:a83f3e66-f06e-481d-a478-0710d6f3c3f5Post:0de3dbb6-2845-468e-af23-80a6bcc3ba92">Re: when to send my invites out-- wedding is june 18</a>:
    [QUOTE]I disagree.  I think you could send the invites out anytime this month and no one will think it's too early.
    Posted by sbolger17[/QUOTE]

<div>You CAN send them when you want.  But there is a reason invites go out 6-8 weeks before the wedding.  It is the ideal window to give people enough notice, but to not be too early that people forget to RSVP or can't yet commit.  Sure she could send them out tomorrow if she wanted to, but if she did, she'd wind up chasing down an excessive number of people that don't RSVP.  6-8 weeks is not just some arbitrary window made up by etiquette gods.  People use it because it works.</div><div>
    </div><div>OP, the last week of April is perfect.  That leaves 3-4 weeks for them to get their RSVPs in, and still a good amount of time to wait for and track down stragglers.  </div>
  • I think 6 weeks is a good number.  Its a medium between the 6-8 or 10 weeks suggested, and the 4 weeks everyone seems to suggest.  I have always read at least 6 weeks. 

I am wondering if they mean 6 weeks of the RSVP by date, or the wedding though? 
  • Here's the etiquette rule:

Q.How far in advance should you send invitations? What is the proper date to ask for the reply card?
    A. Invitations should go out six weeks before the wedding -- that gives guests plenty of time to clear their schedules for the day and make travel arrangements if they are out-of-towners. It also lets you make the RSVP date a little earlier -- say three weeks before the wedding date -- so you can get a final head count and start making a seating chart (if you'll have one) before the final-week-before-the-wedding crunch begins.

So your wedding is June 18.
    Your invitations go out on May 14, six weeks ahead
    Your RSVP date is supposed to be May 28, three weeks ahead

This, exactly:

You CAN send them when you want.  But there is a reason invites go out 6-8 weeks before the wedding.  It is the ideal window to give people enough notice, but to not be too early that people forget to RSVP or can't yet commit.  Sure she could send them out tomorrow if she wanted to, but if she did, she'd wind up chasing down an excessive number of people that don't RSVP.  6-8 weeks is not just some arbitrary window made up by etiquette gods.  People use it because it works.

Here's the etiquette rule:

• edited April 2011
    Well, now that postage is changing I have to send them out by april 16. I am not wasting another dime on this wedding. Guess thats the way it has to be. Also, my invitation lady didn't care to tell me that May 21 may be too early for a rsvp date. I can't change that now. Invites are all packaged and ready to mail out.

On the plus side, everyone knows when the wedding is because 90% of guests are close friends and family and we know they will be coming because they told us they are. So, hopefully we would only have to make a few calls (like fiance's moms friends who we aren't that close with... and I will have fiances mom call them, lol).

thanks ladies!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I believe it is just post cards and a few other things that are going up. I don't believe it will effect most invitations, unless you have a postcard in there.
  • edited April 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_send-invites-out-wedding-june-18?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:a83f3e66-f06e-481d-a478-0710d6f3c3f5Post:43161fb5-33d4-47d0-b4b4-017744c9272f">Re: when to send my invites out-- wedding is june 18</a>:
    [QUOTE]I believe it is just post cards and a few other things that are going up. I don't believe it will effect most invitations, unless you have a postcard in there.
    Posted by lorinschmisseur[/QUOTE]

It's postcard and />1 oz postage ... so most heavy invitations (more than a regular stamp) are impacted, too.
    Anniversary
  • My Wedding is June 18 as well and my RSVP date is May 21 as well. I plan on sending mine out on April 30 (seven weeks before the wedding)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards