Not Engaged Yet

College Stress--How did/do you deal?

Hi there, everyone.
I'm on the verge of hopping into my car and driving to, I don't know, Vegas or something rather than going to class. Which would be dumb, because I'm ten weeks away from graduating.

I. Am. So. Stressed. Out.

This final semester in college is really doing a number on me--I thought I'd be fine, since I quit my serving job (which means weekends!) and haven't been subbing very often, but the workload is REALLY getting me. In addition, life is not going as well as I'd wish, on top of it: Mom almost broke her leg while she was already IN the hospital (now she's in a nursing home), Dad moved in with a woman that I LOATHE and now doesn't make any effort to call me unless I have mail at his house (we used to see each other once or twice a week), and I almost never see my friends--argal;kasdf;jad;fka;sdlfjas. Thank goodness for BF! =)

Has anyone else gone through this/is anyone else going through this right now? What did/do you do to cope? Any advice or suggestions? Vibes? Rants, moans, or complaints?
Daisypath Wedding tickers

"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation. Your character is what you really are while your reputation is merely what others think you are." -John Wooden

Re: College Stress--How did/do you deal?

• peekaboo2011peekaboo2011 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    You really want to know how I dealt with it?  Like, really?  Because it's totally not the right answer.

I took a crapton of credits last semester (including ochem.  UGH), and so I always had freaking homework.  Or papers. Or lab reports.  And research.  And students who were like "OMG why are you the meanest TA ever?!?!  I "studied" so I should get 100 on my practical just for showing up!!!"

And some days, I curled up in bed, threw my books across the room and watched Disney channel until my brain shut up.  Other days, I called BFF and said "we're drinking" and then I drank away the pain.  I didn't deal well with a lot of stuff.  Seriously.
    I french with my man
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • edited December 2011
    I am in my last year of undergrad and am dealing with major Senioritis. I have a massive work load and am working two jobs. I am losing motivation quickly and am seriously stressed. I don't really have any advice for how to make it better, because I am trying to figure that one out too. Just know that you aren't the only one =)

One thing is: I tend to cry. It seems to help just release the frustration sometimes. Its usually just when I am at home and think about all the crap I need to do. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    [QUOTE]And some days, I curled up in bed, threw my books across the room and watched Disney channel until my brain shut up.  Other days, I called BFF and said "we're drinking" and then I drank away the pain.  I didn't deal well with a lot of stuff. [/QUOTE]

I am so jealous. I have no television at my house, and I have a weird alchol allergy--seriously, sometimes having ONE glass of anything causes me to feel horribly ill for hours. If it makes you feel any better, if I physically could, I would probably be dealing with stuff in that way, too, lol. =/

[QUOTE]I am losing motivation quickly and am seriously stressed. I don't really have any advice for how to make it better, because I am trying to figure that one out too. Just know that you aren't the only one =)[/QUOTE]

This is so nice to know; at the very least, other people are going through this and surviving too, right? Maybe?
    Daisypath Wedding tickers

"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation. Your character is what you really are while your reputation is merely what others think you are." -John Wooden
  • Elle1036Elle1036 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    The best advice I have is to take it one day at a time.  There were times when stuff starting piling up and I was so sleep-deprived and ovewhelmed that thinking about everything coming up over the next several days/week/month/whatever would cause me to shut down completely.  Just keep thinking about "today".  What needs to be done "today?"  What fun thing do I have to look forward to "today?" and block out anything past that.
  • polkadot111polkadot111 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I  make a list and cross of the things that don't NEED to be done. I feel like the profs give you SO much homework and reading and studying that there comes a point where you have to just say, "forget it" and only work on the stuff that NEEDS to be done. You only have so much time in a day.

I also give myself little rewards. Like if i read a chapter and do the assignment that goes with it, then I'll let myself have ten minutes of tk or fb or other online stuff time. It helps me get stuff done.
    Used to be bourgehm. +1,500 posts. Silly knot
  • edited December 2011
    My senior year was awful, I was also in a LDR with FI and we would go months without seeing each other.  I honeslty pushed through and rewarded myself with an episode of desperate housewives each night.  I pushed through as hard as I could and kept a planner on me at all times which also functioned as a personal journal so I could get my frustrations out in writing.  Most of those entries were BSC "WHYHASNTHEPROPOSEDYETARGHHHHHSSCCHHOOOOOOL".  It made me feel a little better lol.  I also did a bit of sewing to take care of my OCD.  Also, my job was purely OCD driven which helped me feed the OCD and calm me down a bit.

That last semester is the hardest.  All motivation is gone out the window.  You have to keep on keeping on! Good luck!
  • audrewuhaudrewuh member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_college-stress-diddo-deal?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:62f116b3-669d-4fd2-bc24-43c175651f85Post:76cd10a2-b6d1-48b7-92b6-e040de895b78">Re: College Stress--How did/do you deal?</a>:
    [QUOTE]The best advice I have is to take it one day at a time.  There were times when stuff starting piling up and I was so sleep-deprived and ovewhelmed that thinking about everything coming up over the next several days/week/month/whatever would cause me to shut down completely.  Just keep thinking about "today".  What needs to be done "today?"  What fun thing do I have to look forward to "today?" and block out anything past that.
    Posted by Elle1036[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>This. </div><div>
    </div><div>I had to student teach and work once I was done at school each day. It's all about finding the fun part of "today" and aiming for that. And remember, you're almost there!</div>
    --------------------------------------------------------------

"You're our early 20's BSC scarecrow. They cower at your maturity." - lennonkdc Anniversary
  • ravenrayravenray member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I can't start this out at all well.
    I would veg on TK or FB or watch a movie.  Something, anything to get my mind off the hW/test/whatever.  And sometimes I didn't.  Sometimes I just powered through it all and was a royal bitch for days!  So ya.  You can do it but there are going to be ups and downs.
    "Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained"-C.S. Lewis

Married! May 27th, 2012

• thejucheideathejucheidea member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    The way I relaxed was illegal and I can no longer do it because the government sucks :|.

Now, I spin five days a week for an hour because I have to focus on not busting my ass instead of all the sh*t I needed to leave at work anyway. I got a membership to Message Envy and I'm starting acupuncture this week. I hope it helps for stress, especially leading into the holiday season which is, and I do not even exaggerate here, when everyone dies. It sucks.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards