Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

Do I have to have programs?

I'm doing a big DIY wedding on a small budget with not a lot of help.... so I'm thinking of foregoing the program. I hand made our invitations, and they don't match the save the dates we sent out, so it's not like I have extra paper laying around to do programs. Is it a big deal if I don't have them? Or is there something else I can do instead? My parents are VERY traditional. I feel like they wouldn't like this idea...

Re: Do I have to have programs?

• Options
    I don't think programs are required for a ceremony, however it is nice to let your guests know the order of the event. For example, most weddings, regardless of religion, ask guests to stand at certain points of the ceremony. Some guests may know this, and others won't. Same if they are asked to participate in any prayers (generally the Our Father).

Also, if your parents are super traditional, they will probably expect you to have a program.

To be honest, there are tons of free program templates you can find on the internet. You really only need paper that can be printed on to make them. I was given a bunch of wedding items, and one of them was a pack of blank programs. There are 100 in the pack but I'm looking at 200 guests. Instead of trying to find another pack that matches, I plan on scanning the front of the program (there's a picture on the page) on my printer and then importing that image onto a new document and following template directions for a basic one sheet, folded program. If it works, I'll be able to print 200 programs for the cost of paper ($1 at dollartree for a pack of 150) and ink, which I always have for my printer anyway.

Good luck with this!!
  • Options
    We're not doing programs. I don't think it's a "must have". It's really up to the couple
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_do-i-have-to-have-programs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:b7646477-5a95-405b-b24d-fc2d26946b72Post:2ca442a0-64ad-476b-ab90-4ecc7d404364">Re: Do I have to have programs?</a>:  I know I could make them myself, but since I already used our printer for everything else, I'm out of ink. So buying more can be expensive, and we used specific paper for the invitations that I can only get at a store 30 minutes from me. Just a lot of work and money for something the majority of people will be throwing away.
    [QUOTE]I don't think programs are required for a ceremony, however it is nice to let your guests know the order of the event. For example, most weddings, regardless of religion, ask guests to stand at certain points of the ceremony. Some guests may know this, and others won't. Same if they are asked to participate in any prayers (generally the Our Father). Also, if your parents are super traditional, they will probably expect you to have a program. To be honest, there are tons of free program templates you can find on the internet. You really only need paper that can be printed on to make them. I was given a bunch of wedding items, and one of them was a pack of blank programs. There are 100 in the pack but I'm looking at 200 guests. Instead of trying to find another pack that matches, I plan on scanning the front of the program (there's a picture on the page) on my printer and then importing that image onto a new document and following template directions for a basic one sheet, folded program. If it works, I'll be able to print 200 programs for the cost of paper ($1 at dollartree for a pack of 150) and ink, which I always have for my printer anyway. Good luck with this!!
    Posted by futuremrsbruno[/QUOTE]
  • Options
    jmp2004jmp2004 member
    First Comment
    If you aren't having a wedding where the guests will be expected to do more than just watch, I'd definitely say to skip them.  If it is, however, a wedding that includes something like a Catholic Mass, where guests may not be familiar with the process, you might want to do them.
  • Options
    I'm thinking the same thing.  People throw away the programs anyways.  No one ever keeps them.  You can always put chalkboards and write the program on there.  

Like this:

That way people can read it if they're interested. :)
  • Options
    If you are having a ceremony with religious or other types of rituals, then programs would be nice to explain what's going on to guests who may not know.  Otherwise, they are not necessary. 
  • Options
    Programs are optional.  They can be useful for translating or explaining parts of the service in foreign languages or religious aspects that won't be clear to a significant percentage of the guests, or for giving tributes to deceased or otherwise absent loved ones. 

But even if you have those elements, there is no etiquette requirement that programs be provided unless the venue has such a requirement.
  • Options

I'm thinking the same thing.  People throw away the programs anyways.  No one ever keeps them.  You can always put chalkboards and write the program on there.  

Like this:

That way people can read it if they're interested. :)
    Since OP posted this 15 months ago she's probably figured it out by now.

Anniversary

• Options
    We're having programs. We designed them ourselves on the computer and are printing them ourselves too, so it's barely costing us anything. We have different things in our program (I get bored waiting for ceremonies to start sometimes so the more reading the better!). We have How We Met, Fun Facts, who the wedding party are, and a little blurb about why the ring goes on your 4th finger.
  • Options
    @KnotPorscha Please close this zombie thread!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards