Michigan-Grand Rapids

Sticking up for the newbies...

Not the newbies here on TheKnot necessarily (although they are important too) but the newbies to the wedding business.

First, I must say that I was hesitant to even post this because I don't want to start a war but I think it is important for everyone to consider. So... a lot of you know how difficult it is to plan a fabulous wedding on a small budget. One way to do so is to hire vendors that do great work but are just starting out in the field, as their prices will be lower.

The photographer I used for my wedding had only shot a couple of weddings before mine. But she did 1000x better work than a lot of the "veteran" photographers I found in the same price range.

Of course you should be cautious when hiring someone new to the business- or any vendor for that matter! Experience doesn't mean you're good, it just means you've done it for a long time. Everyone has to start somewhere. Somebody has to be the "first client" or second or third... So give the new vendors an opportunity for your business... chances are, you will be getting an amazing deal.

Re: Sticking up for the newbies...

• AmoroAgainAmoroAgain member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
  • edited December 2011
    hmm. i think her point is that to say in response to other posts i've read about how stupid a bride would be to use someone who's "new" to the business.  Whether it be catering, photography, event planning, making invitations, etc. experience doesn't mean quality as she pointed it.  It's just a number.  Just my opinion, but i think she has a good point.  Some of the best vendors i researched for my wedding were people who were new to the business.  
    edited December 2011
    Huh.  I haven't read those, but I don't read every post either. 

Anyway, I used a brand new photographer, got an awesome deal, and awesome photos.  But, it's always a crapshoot.  You never know what you're going to get, and I was very pleased with that aspect of our day.
  • shrades77shrades77 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm sure it's my response to the DOC post you are referring to...and I never said it was "dumb to use a new vendor," I said it was my advice to get references and use someone with experience because I got screwed by a new DOC...so, no need to get all upset.  Also, Amanda - since you are the owner of "Remember This,"  you should probably know that vendors are not allowed on the knot.  Just giving you a heads up...
    **Rachel & Andy - 9.6.09**

Vendor Reviews l Pro Pic Preview image

edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-grand-rapids_sticking-up-newbies?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:95Discussion:586d26bd-1c99-44f1-baa0-6d1942bedd60Post:1924ed19-2adb-4f5c-9107-b758023e5d30">Re: Sticking up for the newbies...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm sure it's my response to the DOC post you are referring to...and I never said it was "dumb to use a new vendor," I said it was my advice to get references and use someone with experience because I got screwed by a new DOC...so, no need to get all upset.  Also, Amanda - since you are the owner of "Remember This,"  you should probably know that vendors are not allowed on the knot.  Just giving you a heads up...
    Posted by shrades77[/QUOTE]

Ooooh... SNAP Shrades!  You're awesome.
  • Amanda81509Amanda81509 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Actually, I was a member of the knot before I started my business. And I never advertise on here. No need to be rude. I prefaced my post by saying I didnt want to fight. Thats not why I posted. I posted because not only me, but people I know and people I used for my own wedding are new vendors and I don't want girls to get the idea that they shouldn't go that route. I respect your opinion but I also have the right to my own.
  • edited December 2011
    I don't get the whole bickering on the knot chat thing...really?  I just came to see if anyone had offered suggestions on a previous question I posted, and am baffled at the strange chat-room disagreements.  I'm assuming we are all grown women if we're getting married, why can't this chat be free of caddyness? (i have no idea how to spell that!)  Aren't we all strangers anyway- why argue?  It's just weird...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards