Just Engaged and Proposals

Purpose of Engagement Photos?

Just curious, I've learned about a lot of components of a wedding and one thing I read and have seen about. What is the purpose of them?

Re: Purpose of Engagement Photos?

• I think it's mostly about capturing the moment, and I guess most people add them to wedding albums and such. For posterity's sake, as it were :)

Also, it's a popular trend to send "save-the-date" cards and a lot of times an 'engagement picture' is added onto the card.

Another reason to get them is some people like to announce their engagements in local newspapers (I work for one, so I've seen many), some are professionally done, some are done on their own. We had my FI's mom take a few pics and I picked the nicest one for our paper.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • The Purpose of engagement photos are to use for engagement announcements, save-the-dates, bridal shower invites, or wedding invitations, sure... but more importantly..

It's a great way to get behind the camera of the photographer you are using for your wedding. You learn their style, how well you work together, how flexible you are and they are.. etc. You also get comfortable with just having someone in your face with a camera without making weird faces to being to "posed" so that your wedding photos look natural and beautiful. 
    I highly suggest if you have e-pics done you do them with the photog that you're using for your wedding for this reason. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_purpose-of-engagement-photos?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:683Discussion:9b54f60a-caad-4721-a569-97eb77449c66Post:bff88651-d855-48fb-aa3c-18eb7ba0c7d5">Purpose of Engagement Photos?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Just curious, I've learned about a lot of components of a wedding and one thing I read and have seen about. What is the purpose of them?
    Posted by kfritz36[/QUOTE

My husband and I were back and forth on engagment pictures because we did not see the purpose of them either. We thought there would be no point because we would have wedding pictures soon and would not care about the engagment pictures by then. However our photographer offered the engagment session for free as part of our wedding package so we decided to go ahead and get them done. I was so happy we did!

First of all it is just fun spending time with your FI doing something special for your wedding and having awesome pictures of the two of you to show off to your family and friends. Most importantly we were able to get a feel for our photographer before the day of our wedding. When we left we felt at ease because we knew he was going to be awesome the day of. We only ended up buying one of the photo's (although we loved them all) because we could not afford to buy a bunch.

I hope this helps :)
  • kaos16kaos16 member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    I feel like a lot of photographers include engagement photos in their packages.  I agree with PPs, it's a great way to check out your wedding photographer and get a feel for their style and ow you mesh with them.
  • Awesome, thanks a lot guys!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_purpose-of-engagement-photos?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:683Discussion:9b54f60a-caad-4721-a569-97eb77449c66Post:e5f4eade-5bbc-442b-8d6e-07009cdc8869">Re: Purpose of Engagement Photos?</a>:
    [QUOTE]The Purpose of engagement photos are to use for engagement announcements, save-the-dates, bridal shower invites, or wedding invitations, sure... but more importantly.. It's a great way to get behind the camera of the photographer you are using for your wedding. You learn their style, how well you work together, how flexible you are and they are.. etc. You also get comfortable with just having someone in your face with a camera without making weird faces to being to "posed" so that your wedding photos look natural and beautiful.  I highly suggest if you have e-pics done you do them with the photog that you're using for your wedding for this reason. 
    Posted by firsttimersluck[/QUOTE]
    Yep yep, all of this. An engagement session came in our package & I'm so glad it did. It was so fun & really helped not only my shy groom get out of his shell a bit, but also for our photog to see what our best angles are. That made wedding day photography so fast. We did all of our pics in <45min.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_purpose-of-engagement-photos?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:683Discussion:9b54f60a-caad-4721-a569-97eb77449c66Post:0240d3fb-f406-4aaa-913c-7b3a09b2f705">Re: Purpose of Engagement Photos?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Purpose of Engagement Photos? : Yep yep, all of this. An engagement session came in our package & I'm so glad it did. It was so fun & really helped not only my shy groom get out of his shell a bit, but also for our photog to see what our best angles are. That made wedding day photography so fast. We did all of our pics in <45min.
    Posted by rlavach[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Totally agree! </div><div>The E-shot helped our photog learn what my insecurities are ( ---> arms <--- ) and how to adjust to calm my nerves over that :) 

</div>
  • We are planning to use them for the save the dates and also to create poster boards for the bridal shower and as you enter into the reception hall for folks to look at. I nice appeal and cute way to set the tone. 

• I think the above have it covered! But another idea that you could do with them afterwards is have them printed in a photo book and use it as a guest book for your wedding :-)
  • I didnt really see a point either and somehow we have not had the time to do them and now i'm kinda sad we didnt...
    Love is All You Need
  • We did ours while camping with H's sister and her husband.  She is a professional photographer, which is awesome.  We used the photos for the STD cards.  I don't think I would do them if they weren't free (or included in a package).
  • So...we did them because there are all of 4 photos of us after 5 years together. No lie. To each their own!
    Visit The Nest!Visit The Nest!Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest!
  • I don't know if we're gonna bother either engagement pics. He doesn't want them anyway.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards