Wedding Woes

Maybe I shouldn't have let him travel alone - and a ? for travel peeps

H just called me saying he was boarding his flight, however the plane he is getting on is headed to Dulles instead of Reagan.  How does that happen? I just looked up his itenerary again and it clearly says "DCA Reagan."  I looked up the flight number on the airline's website and it says "DCA Reagan."  Can airlines just re-route you to a different airport without providing ground transportation?  I've had that happen once when a flight was cancelled but they rebooked us on another flight out of the airport across town and put everyone on a bus to get them over there, but can they change your final destination without offering to get you there another way?

I'm going to hope it was some ditzy gate agent making an incorrect announcement.  Because H's sister lives about 5 minutes from Reagan and he could easily take Metro to her house or cab it for relatively cheap.  Dulles is another story.  He said, "I guess I'll just a rent a car."  NOOOO!  You won't!  I think even a cab would be less expensive than renting a car at the airport without any advance reservation and returning it to a different airport.

Ugh. 

I just a friendly gal looking for options.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Maybe I shouldn't have let him travel alone - and a ? for travel peeps

• He's on the wrong flight I think. DCA is Reagan, IAD is Dulles. Ask a gate agent.
  • a cab is $50 from dulles to national.

and no, they can't just take you the a different airport and say "close enough."  unless fema is handling his transport.

http://tinyurl.com/8ympn6t
  • PMeg - I looked that up to see if maybe he had just looked at the boards wrong but per the airline website there is not a scheduled flight to Dulles leaving around the same time as his flight. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • WzzWzz member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    you know, i often wonder if propblems happen when people print their boarding passes online. i wonder if the flight attendant made an incorrect announcement.

do you think he went to the gate that was anouncing "washington dulles" instead of "washington reagan"?

and what the heck at the gate agents not chekcing the BP for the flight number?!?

he should go to the gate agents when he gets there and tell them that he boarded the wrong flight. see if they can help him out. hey, it's worth a shot. it IS their job to make sure the people get on the correct flights.
  • I told him to call me when he gets there to tell me where there is.  And actually, there are no direct flights to Dulles from Nashville on that airline, so if he did get bumped to a different flight he is going to be all kinds of pissed when they stop in Charlotte and he misses the dinner planned for tonight.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • WzzWzz member
    i just re-read your post. if you are worried, you should call him back and ask him what the hell he was talking about.
  • and if he needs a ride, you can call me.
  • He has already turned off his phone.  He apparently waited until they were shutting the doors to call me and could only talk for 90 seconds. 

Okay, now I am suspicious because this was a flight booked with miles meaning that he is numero zero on the priority list for his original flight.  I wonder if he got rescheduled on a Dulles flight that was running late and boarding about the same time as his DCA flight.  I think they might let FEMA handle miles award flights. Although I wish that info would show when I look up his itenerary on line. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Oh, HMO.  Wouldn't that be fun?  He will be in a mood.  And he brings bad luck wherever he goes.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • AuntFloAuntFlo member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited March 2012
    Is he one of those people who is really book smart but has no common sense  I married one of those.  I wonder how they make it day to day without people like us intervening, zsa.
  • I'd be dedder than ded and gone for a 'hmo loves mr. zsa: cutlery and airport edition' recap.
  • i have yet to be on a flight where the gate agent hasn't scanned my ticket. how in the world would they even let him on the wrong flight if they were doing that?
  • i just have one .. "theoretical" question: if i'm singing cobra starship, and i point to him for the leighton meester parts, will he sing along?

• AF - Yes.  Times a thousand.  He has the absent-minded professor think going to the nth degree.

HMO - No.  He knows about three songs and they are all by Chicago.

Barbie - If anyone can get on a flight without a valid boarding pass, it is him.  In fact, it happened once.  We were both on a flight but had booked the tickets at seperate times so we were checking in separately, standing side by side at self serve kiosks.  We both swipes our credit cards and both of them pulled up my name.  H saw that the destination was correct and didn't even catch the name thing.  So we both print our boarding passes.  The TSA agent checking ID against boarding passes didn't catch it and let us both through.  When the gate agent scanned the boarding passes one of them beeped.  She just shrugged and told us to go on.  Then when H and I tried to sit in the same seat we saw there was a problem and noticed that my name was on both boarding passes.  They had already given away his seat but did some sort of maneuvering and got him on board after a lengthy delay.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • WzzWzz member

hmo: picking up random husbands at airports since 1995.

• 6fsn6fsn member
    This whole thread has me cackling.  Please let us know when he gets...somewhere.
  • AuntFloAuntFlo member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited March 2012
    AND, why was he telling you?   What were you supposed to do about it?   I mean, other than worry for the next few hours until you hear back from him.   Men are so...  special.
  • I've given up managing H.

If he wants to wander in front of a moving train, god bless him. I just say a prayer (for H #2 to be smarter than this one).
  • He just called from National.  Phew! 

Sorry, HMO.  I know you were wanting to steal my man.

However, he did check his bag.  Because it was "easier".  Grrrrr.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • HAHAHAHA @ checked bag.  is he also going to take a cab to go two blocks?
  • Why take a cab when you can hire a limo to take you to a helicopter to take you to another limo?

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • DG1DG1 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment

Psh. On a nonstop flight, checking a bag is NOT easier. NOT NOT NOT! 

What on earth did he do when he was flying in and out of STL, where you have to wait 30-45 minutes for your bag on a good day?

• I love your husband.
    nft
  • In this case, I think easier = what I am used to doing, don't suggest anything else, because I am set in my ways and I might knife you with my apple-blade.
  • You guys have me convinced that I should open a consulting business where I tech people how to travel. I'd take people through packing, checking in, getting through security and how to behave appropriately during the flight. I feel like this could be a real money maker for me.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_maybe-i-shouldnt-have-let-him-travel-alone-and-a-for-travel-peeps?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:47Discussion:5fb948c3-67f4-494a-a0a5-39ad976227fePost:a7ab90de-34f6-42d6-8b9a-710006e6acf6">Re: Maybe I shouldn't have let him travel alone - and a ? for travel peeps</a>:
    [QUOTE]You guys have me convinced that I should open a consulting business where I tech people how to travel. I'd take people through packing, checking in, getting through security and how to behave appropriately during the flight. I feel like this could be a real money maker for me.
    Posted by PMeg819[/QUOTE]

Mr. Zsa could be your first client. 

Also, you need to have a section about children and flying.  There's a lot of people who need to be schooled on how to handle their kids on a plane.
  • Mr. Zsa has done a lot of traveling in his life.  Not as frequently as PMeg in recent years, but enough to know better.  He is unteachable.  Also, I would get mad at him for spending money on a class.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards