Wedding Etiquette Forum

Grandma is in hospice

She's not responsive and not interested in eating, so she's going to be put in Hospice care instead of the nursing home. 
my read shelf:
Amber Lea's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) imageTell Me A Tale

Re: Grandma is in hospice

• NebbNebb member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    Oh hunnie im sorry. How is your dad handling it?
  • I don't know.  My mom and aunt called and they were both crying.  I'm sure he's bottling.  
    my read shelf:
    Amber Lea's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) imageTell Me A Tale
  • I'm sorry, how are you holding up?
    Photobucket
  • She's 88 so it's been coming, but it's hard now that it is here. 
    my read shelf:
  • My dad's birthday is Friday.  God I hope she doesn't die on his birthday.
    my read shelf:
  • Aw Night I'm sorry to hear that :(
  • NebbNebb member
    Im sorry youre going through this, im sending hugs your way.
  • I am not a regular poster, however I am sorry for your grandmother, and I know how it is because mine died about a year ago. Loosing a loved one is never easy. I hope she doesn't suffer. Thoughts are with your family.
  • ggmaeggmae member
    First Comment
    N's grandmother died a few weeks ago, a day before his birthday and on FIL's wedding anniversary. I was very thankful that she didn't pass on his birthday. She was 89 and had been sick for a while before going into hospice - she broke her hip, then got c-diff, and eventually got pneumonia as well. We knew it was coming, but it didn't make it any easier. I'm sorry to hear that she isn't doing well. :(
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_grandma-hospice?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:ed454fd5-c318-4146-9f1a-9a10bd0d8470Post:c57bc1d0-ba0a-485d-9355-8dda51365acc">Re: Grandma is in hospice</a>:
    [QUOTE]~~~~~
    Posted by daffodil_jill[/QUOTE]
    I don't know what this means.
    my read shelf:
  • So sorry to hear that, Night.  ::hugs::
    BFP(1) DD1 born 4.17.10 @ 33w5d due to pPROM
    BFP(4) DD2 born 2.14.13 @ 35w5d due to pPROM

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • So sorry to hear this. Hopefully, (bad as this sounds, but I hope you know what I mean) her passing will be quick and easy on her. It's so much worse on everyone to see their family members suffer and linger when they're very ill.
  • Night, I remember this day with my grandma.  I am so sorry you are hurting, but know that it's the absolute best thing that could have been done for her.  She will be comfortable now, for the duration.  As difficult as it is to accept, I hope it brings your family peace.  Love from MD.
  • I'm sorry, Night.  That's tough on everyone . . . take care.  You and your family are in my thoughts. 

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_grandma-hospice?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:ed454fd5-c318-4146-9f1a-9a10bd0d8470Post:cf005df0-6738-4059-bfc6-96c3429b13ea">Re: Grandma is in hospice</a>:
    [QUOTE]So sorry to hear this. Hopefully, (bad as this sounds, but I hope you know what I mean) her passing will be quick and easy on her. It's so much worse on everyone to see their family members suffer and linger when they're very ill.
    Posted by september's bride[/QUOTE]
    I know what you mean.  She isn't in pain, or at least isn't showing any signs of it, so now it's just a matter of waiting.
    my read shelf:
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_grandma-hospice?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:ed454fd5-c318-4146-9f1a-9a10bd0d8470Post:3a42f125-4166-44d8-812a-53b5cfe71b96">Re: Grandma is in hospice</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Grandma is in hospice : I don't know what this means.
    Posted by Night_Sprite[/QUOTE]
    vibes
    Photobucket
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_grandma-hospice?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:ed454fd5-c318-4146-9f1a-9a10bd0d8470Post:25634ecf-5f14-4725-843d-d2cf4cd04d93">Re: Grandma is in hospice</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Grandma is in hospice : vibes
    Posted by shellydiane820[/QUOTE]
    Thanks.
    my read shelf:
  • NebbNebb member
    Is there any way you will be able to see her, before? My grandmother passed away last March and although she was completely out of it and then in a coma, it made it a bit easier to atleast have that chance to say goodbye.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_grandma-hospice?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:ed454fd5-c318-4146-9f1a-9a10bd0d8470Post:3b35f09d-92af-4c35-ab43-e71f748f6b6b">Re: Grandma is in hospice</a>:
    [QUOTE]Is there any way you will be able to see her, before? My grandmother passed away last March and although she was completely out of it and then in a coma, it made it a bit easier to atleast have that chance to say goodbye.
    Posted by Nebb[/QUOTE]
    Not really.  If I go home to see her, we'd probably have to miss the funeral because I can't be gone at the end of the semester.
    my read shelf:
  • I'm so sorry Night! :(
  • I'm really sorry.

My grandmother died 1 week before my grandparents 60th wedding anniversary. A few days after the funeral he and I sat in their backyard on a swing and talked. he said something to me that I've never forgotten and it's now been 21 years.

"you never have enough time with someone you love".  This from a man who'd had over 60 years (2 years of dating, 60 years of marriage) and it still wasn't enough time.

My first thought when my mom died was "I wasn't done having fun with you...." and I wasn't but it wasn't up to me.
  • NebbNebb member
    Well if you ever want to talk, offline, you know where to find me hun. Ill be thinking of you.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_grandma-hospice?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:ed454fd5-c318-4146-9f1a-9a10bd0d8470Post:3a42f125-4166-44d8-812a-53b5cfe71b96">Re: Grandma is in hospice</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Grandma is in hospice : I don't know what this means.
    Posted by Night_Sprite[/QUOTE]
    good vibes
  • Okay, I have several major projects due between now and May 14th.  Do I go home this weekend and blow off some important school work (like a presentation that's a good chunk of my grade) or do I stay knowing I might not see my grandma alive again, even though she wouldn't know me if I went?  Thoughts?
    my read shelf:
  • NebbNebb member
    I think first you should talk to your teachers and let them know whats going on, see if you can have anything pushed back or postponed. Even if she isnt there, I think on some level she will know you are there, and hear you if you say something to her. I think it will ease your mind to have the chance to say goodbye before she is gone.
  • ohwhynotohwhynot member
    First Comment
    edited April 2010
    I'm afraid I have to disagree with Nebb on this.  Everything you loved about your grandma is gone, really.  Hospice exists to keep her comfortable and ease her out of this life; she will probably be heavily medicated and asleep almost the entire time.  You indicated earlier, iirc, that she has advanced Alzheimer's, so it would really work no comfort to her to have you there.  If you believe it would work a comfort to you, and/or to other family members, then by all means go. 

This is going to sound blunt, and I'm sorry for that, but her time is probably short.   Her body is shutting down; her disinterest in eating and general unresponsiveness are signs of that.  If you can't get away twice, I think I'd place priority on attending her memorial service and getting and giving comfort to your family there. 

I'm sorry.
  • I agree with Nebb.  At least try talking to your professors.
    Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards