Not Engaged Yet

dog question - coughing

my dog, Bella, is 3.5 years old.  great health.  for the past week she has been wheezing on walks and snoring at night.  her nose is wet, but she feels hot.  she is eating and playing normally.  she has slightly runny eyes, but that's kind of normal for her.  mostly, I'm concerned because 2 nights ago she paced the whole night (which isn't normal for her) like she couldn't sleep or didn't feel good or something.  last night she slept in her crate instead of on her bed like she usually does. 

our vet is an hour away.  I called and they encouraged me to bring her in, but it's super expensive and time consuming (I'd have to take off half a day of work) to bring her in to have them tell me if it's just the common cold and she needs to just wait it out.

any advice?  I love my dog and if she needs to go to the vet, I'll definitely take her.  they mentioned they'd had some kennel cough going around so that's a possibility.  should I just take the hit (probably $100-$200 because they always want to do bloodwork and stuff, plus any meds PLUS take off a half day at work) or am I being over-protective and worry too much?

thanks.  :)

Re: dog question - coughing

• My dog got a little case of kennel cough last year.  It's not usually a big deal and it goes away on it's own after a few days.

Does she cough several times and then gag?  That's a good indicator of kennel cough.

It could also just be a little bug that she'll get over, but it could also be heartworm.  Even dogs that are on preventative medication get it sometimes, and that's obviously a really big deal and needs to be treated right away.
  • Sometimes my poodle gets like that. He'll have a few days where he keeps coughing. He also sometimes paces around the house all night like something is wrong, but will stop eventually after a few days. I would wait it out a few more days. It really could just be a little cold.
    Used to be bourgehm. +1,500 posts. Silly knot
  • Ok, this is not meant to be harsh at all.

If you had a cough that was nagging you for a couple of weeks and then had a night where you couldn't sleep. What would you do? Would you weather it out longer or would you say "OK, time to go to the doctor" ?

Also, have you taken a rectal temp? If not, do so (if you have a thermometer).
    "Stuart was scared, but he loved Margalo, Mommy. And there is nothing bigger than love." -The Bean
     "His farts smell like Satan's asshole mixed with a skunk's vagina. But it's okay, because I love him." -CSousa

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_dog-question-coughing?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:0f81cc3d-264b-496e-8fe2-1a7401bad234Post:150b822c-72cf-43b1-b530-f2d9983e4f96">Re: dog question - coughing</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ok, this is not meant to be harsh at all . If you had a cough that was nagging you for a couple of weeks and then had a night where you couldn't sleep. What would you do? <strong>Would you weather it out longer or would you say "OK, time to go to the doctor" ?</strong> Also, have you taken a rectal temp? If not, do so (if you have a thermometer).
    Posted by beanbot2002[/QUOTE]

I have to admit - I do this all...the...damn....time.
    I'm terrible - I HATE the doctors. BF usually forces my behind to go.

On the OP note - I agree with Elle.
  • KikiMiraKikiMira member
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited February 2012
    My Boston is super accident and sick prone, He's one years old and we've added up over 6G in vet bills. However most of his is all genetic.

When he acts a bit off, like if he was pacing at night, I know he is feeling off, I would take him in. Thats not normal and your dog probably has a respiratory infection. Which will need antibiotics to treat, however they have a new 2 week shot you can give them for the antibiotics. 

Paxton almost died last year when he got pneumonia. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Update: took her in. We are at home... Probably just a cold (lungs are fine!) but no walks for a few days. They gave me an antibiotic and a sedative to help her rest... She's napping next to me. :) seems like its nothing serious, just try to make her rest as much as possible. Just what I wanted to hear!
  • I'm glad your pup is gonna be alright!
    "Stuart was scared, but he loved Margalo, Mommy. And there is nothing bigger than love." -The Bean
     "His farts smell like Satan's asshole mixed with a skunk's vagina. But it's okay, because I love him." -CSousa

• Glad she's ok, Coco. You did the right thing.
  • zipis1zipis1 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    edited February 2012
    I would try giving her some benedryl first, as it could be allergies. How big is she? I'm still at work and have to run, but I'll be back later(PS: at this point in time it doesn't sound like anything that needs bloodwork).

Edit: Haha. I should have read through. Glad she's OK :P

• I was hoping you'd stop by zipis!

she's 15.4 lbs.  I've heard the Benadryl thing, and the vet mentioned that I might try it. 

she also agreed we didn't need bloodwork, unless she wasn't any better by Monday.  she has IBS flare ups about once a year (or so), but there's no stomach issues so I'm not too worried about that.  most likely a cold or allergies. 
  • Did they tell you the dosing for the benedryl? If not and you'd like to try it it's 1mg per pound of body weight. Most pills come as 25mg per pill, so about half a pill should do her. You could do it once a day or twice a day depending on how bad you think her allergies may be.

If you do try it, make sure you get ONLY benedryl (or diphenhydramine, to be technical, as generic would be fine), and not allergy+cold/sinus/whatever. Other drugs have the potential to be toxic, and since she's a wee little thing we don't want to make her sick :P

• Take the dog to the vet. You are a dog owner, be responsible.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards