Honeymoon Discussions
Options

Costa Rica or Hawaii at the end of June/beg of July

Good morning!
 FI and I are trying to figure out our honeymoon destination for the end of next June/beginning of July. We have been looking into Costa Rica and Hawaii.
Costa Rica- I love all of the adventure it offers! We would want to spend at least 10 days and do the rainforest/volcano area and then get some beach time. However, I have read it is the start of rainy season so that makes me extremely nervous.  The white water rafting, zip lining, canopy tours all look wonderful!Hawaii- We went to Maui last year and LOVED it! If we go back we would like to try some different parts of the island.  I don’t even know where to begin picking islands Kauai looks amazing! Here is the rundown…we love doing lots of excursions, getting some beach time, eating great food and having a few cocktails.Help! Thanks in advance.

Re: Costa Rica or Hawaii at the end of June/beg of July

• Options
    We're going to Costa Rica in mid-June. I'm so excited for it.

As a general rule the rainy season in that part of the world means an afternoon shower everyday. It also means most plants will be in bloom and everything will be lush and green! In Costa Rica there are many climates (sounds weird, but true) so it really depends where you're going to be.
  • Options
    I vote for Hawaii.  We just got back from there!  We were there the first 2 weeks of August.  Since you have been to Maui, I would look into other islands.  We went to Oahu and the Big Island.  Both were different and amazing.  We love excursions and used our Wrangler to make the most of them on both islands.  If you leave Waikiki, the beaches on Oahu are gorgeous.  Both islands had so much to explore.  I have also heard amazing things about Kauai.  Consider splitting your time between 2 islands.  Have fun planning!
    Anniversary image
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers image TO image
    my to-read shelf:
    Mel O's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
  • Options
    FI and I went to Costa Rica on vacation last December, at the tail end of the rainy season.  Rainy season means that there is some rain everyday, not that it is a constant downpour.  As PP said, it tends to rain in the afternoon, so it's a good idea to plan outdoor adventures in the morning and then spend the afternoon relaxing, reading, going to the spa, etc.

We really loved CR.  I've been to Hawaii as well, but thought that CR was a much better deal for the money. 
  • Options
    Hi NJbride... I've been to Costa Rica twice... once last May for a week, and for two weeks from the end of June-early July 2008. I visited Manuel Antonio and Arenal, and the "rainy" season really played no role in our enjoyment.  We ziplined, went canyoning, enjoyed the beach (and a lot of sun!), went to the Tabacon hot springs, on top of many other activities! Honestly, most of Costa Rica is a rainforest anyway - the sun doesn't make an appearance too often.  They won't cancel tours (such as ziplining) if it's raining, because thats the norm.  We actually were grateful for a rain shower when we were ziplining because it helped cool us off from the heat and humidity! I love Costa Rica and would not hesitate to visit in the "rainy" season... you get better deals and there are less crowds! If you want more info, please let me know! :) 
  • Options
    I don't think you can go wrong either way!
  • Options
    Thank you ladies! Now I just need to figure out what to choose! tough decision!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards