Connecticut

Bridal Trousseau on Main?

Feedback?  I made an appointment to go bridesmaid dress shopping here because it seemes like they carried alot of designers and it is mid-way for alot of my girls...
Any other bridal salons in the clinton, westbrook, old saybrook, guilford etc area... that have a wide variety to choose from?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Bridal Trousseau on Main?

•   Hey- I was in a wedding three years ago and I bought my dress from the Bridal Troussea at it's old location. I was the only BM who purchased there- we were scattered across the US and every BM bought her dress at a different location (it actually worked out b/c it was an Alfred Angelo dress but the dyelots could have been way off!). They didn't offer alterations for the wedding party- luckily the dress fit as is. It also took my dress a couple more weeks to come in then any of the other girls' dresses, although I had ordered it 3 weeks before everyone else. I called to ask if my dress was ready a week before it was supposed to be due- when all of my friends in the party reported they already had their dresses. It was there and it had major wrikles in it. I think they had just tossed it in the back when it came in (probably 3 or 4 weeks earlier) and hadn't called me.

This was right before the store switched locations. I got the feeling the store was really "bride" focused so if you came in with your attendants and you bought your dress there- the BM dresses may be more of a priority.

I don't mean to pan the store- the wrikles came right out when I had the dress pressed at Branford Dry Cleaners and it looked great! The staff was also very friendly and helpful. I would buy a bridesmaid dress from them again- I would just plan to have to get the dress pressed again. It really wasn't that big a deal. The new location is beautiful. I had my experience when the store was still located in  a house and I think they had a lot less space.

Hope this helps! If you need nice restaurant recs in the area let me know.
    I don't care what is written about me so long as it isn't true. -Dorothy Parker
  • I went for an appointment there last month! I really liked my consultant and everyone there was really helpful! The only thing I found with the BM dresses is that they were the most expensive ones I had seen anywhere. Even their wedding dresses were priced higher than any other place I had been. For instance one Alfred Angelo dress I really like is on average $180 but there it was $210. I know its only a $30 difference but with added alterations it could add up! 

The best part is the girls can atleast try everything on and then any shop you like that carries the designer can order a dress - even if its not there to try on. Hope this helps!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I didn't have great experiences there (even though it would have been really convenient, location wise).  The first time I went was for my wedding gown and they acted like they didn't want my business because it was too far away from my wedding.  I was ready to walk out of the appointment but my aunt made a special trip out there so I stayed.

I went back, against my better judgment, because friends were in town to go BM dress shopping.  Again, it was convenient.  Once we found our dresses, I had to hunt them down just to call in the order. They didn't call me back so I took my business elsewhere. 

I had a great experience at White Dress by the Shore in Clinton but those are very different styles from what Bridal Trousseau carries.
    I also had a great experience at Mariella's in Rocky Hill (a little farther).
    My mom got her dress at April Rose in Guilford. I was turned off by their commercial so I never looked there but they ended up being really great and they carried my designer (Casablanca). 

Good luck!!
  • edited January 2012
    I bought my wedding dress there, and also did try to go there to purchase my BM's wedding dresses (as I went with Alfred Angelo for my BM dress designer for the color, but let my ladies pick their own styles) so I can speak from both experiences.

They are very bridal dress SALE oriented.  What I mean by this is that (while they are super friendly) they are attentive and super quick to serve you while you are shopping for a wedding dress.  But their service quality drops somewhat after you've already bought your dress.

1) They basically coerced me into attending their Accessories Trunk Show in February 2011 once my dress came in in December 2010.  When I showed up for my appointment, everyone was in the back and I waited a long time for anyone to come out and help me.  I waited a long time for someone to help me into my dress to see what accessories went with my dress.  I felt very pressured to buy the accessories (which collectively would have cost more than my dress - no thank you!) and I didn't really like that.

2) They made me order my undergarments (crinoline and corset-style bra) from them (which the bra probably would have cost me about as much at Victoria's Secret, so they didn't make much money off of me, but still...).  When I asked specifically if this was something I needed to order from them or if I could just get it elsewhere (since I kind of would have liked a choice in the style of bra I got), they said no basically because I would need to have them there for my fittings so it would be easiest to have them there.  However, when I showed up for my fittings, they always asked if I had them (like I got them from somewhere else) and it took them until the week of my wedding to get me the correct crinoline.  I also waited a long time for someone to help me into my dress during my fittings because I had a corset back and that seemed to make things harder for them and I often showed up alone because I had a crazy schedule that MOH couldn't always come and I just set my appointments for when I had time.

3) When shopping for my BM dresses, we looked around for 20 minutes, got completely ignored and overshadowed by bridal dress shoppers and ultimately decided to go elsewhere.  (Bottom line, if you go with Alfred Angelo anything - bridal dress or BM dresses, go to Aurora in Guilford - much better service)

I ended up purchasing my dress there because I found the dress I loved at Harold's in New Haven and then called around to Maggie Sottero retailers in the area for the best price, which Bridal Trousseau had.  I went shopping there for Alfred Angelo, but also went to Mariella's in Rocky Hill, Harold's in New Haven, the Bridal Mall in Niantic...We ultimately ordered the BM dresses from Aurora in Guilford for convenience sake (since all of my BM's live on the shoreline area)
    "I don't know how it gets better than this. You take my hand and lead me head first - Fearless"
    Anniversary

Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest!
  • I live in Branford so went there very early on in my dress shopping.  I wanted to love it in there, it's really nice, but I too felt they were very "sale" oriented.  I found a dress there I liked (not loved) but it really wasn't what I wanted, and felt they were pretty pushy and trying to get me to buy the dress just because.  Maybe you will have better luck though!
  • I live in Branford so went there very early on in my dress shopping.  I wanted to love it in there, it's really nice, but I too felt they were very "sale" oriented.  I found a dress there I liked (not loved) but it really wasn't what I wanted, and felt they were pretty pushy and trying to get me to buy the dress just because.  Maybe you will have better luck though!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards