June 2012 Weddings

First Look Photos?

FI really wants to do First Look Photos (is that what they are called?) and I really want the first time he see's me to be walking down the aisle. However, I really like the idea of being able to greet people during the cocktail hour instead of dinner. And I like that I'd be able to enjoy more of our wedding by doing first look photos. I also think that seeing him before hand will make me less emotional walking down the aisle (i'm a cry baby, I still cry at full house episodes i've seen like 847,940 times) ... my concern is that I will end up regretting this decision =/ so what are  you opinions?

Re: First Look Photos?

• We aren't going to; but I don't think they're a bad thing.

We're getting married in my church and have about 2 hours between the end of the ceremony and cocktail hour for pictures. If we had less time, or were getting married at the venue (and had no time!) we would do one and all of our pictures before the ceremony.

I just really want the first time FI sees me to be coming down the aisle.
    Photobucket

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I personally don't like first looks.  I understand why some people do them, but they are just not for me.  I want the first time we see each other to be that moment when I am walking down the aisle.  I am very old fashioned with these kinds of things.  FI totally agrees with me, he doesn't even want to know what anything looks like.  He actually likes how Prince William didn't turn around until Kate was at the altar.  We won't be going that far with it though. My opinion is people have been going to weddings for years, and they will be patient while you take your pictures.  My plan is just to take as many as possible without the two of us being together, and just any of them where it is us together afterwards.  Shouldn't take too long.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Birthday
  • Nope.  I think if I cry, or he cries, it will make the moment all the more beautiful.  Plus I've been picturing this moment for quite some time. :)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_first-look-photos?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:26c79041-4cc8-4cd5-bdc7-8555fa147076Post:bcc08f2f-6764-4043-bde3-4e1b9d97cd5b">Re: First Look Photos?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I personally don't like first looks.  I understand why some people do them, but they are just not for me.  <strong>I want the first time we see each other to be that moment when I am walking down the aisle.  I am very old fashioned with these kinds of things.  FI totally agrees with me, he doesn't even want to know what anything looks like. </strong> He actually likes how Prince William didn't turn around until Kate was at the altar.  We won't be going that far with it though. My opinion is people have been going to weddings for years, and they will be patient while you take your pictures.  My plan is just to take as many as possible without the two of us being together, and just any of them where it is us together afterwards.  Shouldn't take too long.
    Posted by Liss1485[/QUOTE]

The bolded part exactly!
    Cappadocia, Turkey
    June 2012 March Siggy Challenge: Honeymoon location
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
    image 215 Invited so far!
    image 160 Are ready to party!
    image 30 Will be missing out!
    image 25 Are MIA!
  • We will be doing them.  I think it is alright to do pictures if you have a break between ceremony and reception.  Ours will literally be a wlk upstairs and start the cocktail hour.  I really don't want to be apsent from the first hour and a half of our wedding.

We want to do our first look at this little stste park with a lighthouse about 5 mins from our venue.  It give us a nice opportunity to get pictures with different backgrounds then just our venue.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • We are doing first look pictures. We want the opportunity to talk and pray together before the biggest event of our lives. Also, our reception is directly after our ceremony and I dont want to miss a lot of our reception because we are doing photos after the ceremony. Instead we are going to do a first look, then all of our wedding party photos before the ceremony. We are going to do most of our photos together before the wedding party photos and then sneak out for some "magic hour" photos during the reception. It works for us and we are really excited about it!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • daria24daria24 member
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited January 2012
    We are doing a first look, because I want the moment where we see each other for the first time to be private. FI and I are very private people, and I am excited to have some alone time before the ceremony. It's also nice that we will be able to make it to the cocktail hour.

I've never been sentimental about the walking down the aisle moment. I was in a wedding this past summer and the couple did a first look and the pictures are amazing. And he still cried seeing her walk down the aisle. 
  • We are doing first look photos. We aren't doing a coctail hour since the ceremony and reception are in the same building. We also have to be out of the venue by midnight and we don't want to waste time taking pictures after the ceremony. We will do all of our pohotos before except the whole family portrait of each side.

I also am a cryer and am hoping that a first look and time with FI before the wedding will make it a little better. (Probably not. haha) I like the idea of having a private moment alone also.
  • We aren't doing a first look.  I am also traditional and want the "first look" to be walking down the aisle.  We have 2 photographers for awhile during the wedding, so all photos of us with our wedding party and parents, etc. will be done beforehand so that we can have pictures after the ceremony go a little faster.  I am disappointed about missing the cocktail hour, but that's ok.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_first-look-photos?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:26c79041-4cc8-4cd5-bdc7-8555fa147076Post:f51d6292-cfc1-4a87-a7f0-f5258d52cf38">Re: First Look Photos?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We are doing a first look, because I want the moment where we see each other for the first time to be private. FI and I are very private people, and I am excited to have some alone time before the ceremony. It's also nice that we will be able to make it to the cocktail hour. I've never been sentimental about the walking down the aisle moment. I was in a wedding this past summer and the couple did a first look and the pictures are amazing. <strong>And he still cried seeing her walk down the aisle. 
    </strong>Posted by daria24[/QUOTE]

good to know!! Thanks for sharing =)
  • We are not doing a first look. I am also old fashion in I want the first time he sees me to be walking down the aisle. We are doing our pictures right after the ceremony while our guests commute to the reception.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_first-look-photos?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:26c79041-4cc8-4cd5-bdc7-8555fa147076Post:486c8c97-4266-4525-9769-f053fa878797">Re: First Look Photos?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: First Look Photos? : good to know!! Thanks for sharing =)
    Posted by Kfudge0714[/QUOTE]

I love your shoes BTW! :)
  • edited January 2012
    I am struggling with this same thing too. I am such a traditional bride and have always pictured the church doors open and have his breath taken away. But the problem is time. I have people coming from out of town and want to spend as much of the day with them as I can. I just don't know what I am going to do.
    imageLilySlim Weight loss tickers Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Having already had a "wedding" I can tell you this... I enjoyed maybe 60 seconds before I sat down to eat.  It was ceremony straight into photos and then we sat down to eat and the entire time was "pose here" and "put your hand there"

But... we had plenty of time after dinner to enjoy time with our friends and family - so I don't feel like I missed anything.    I would say go with your gut.  

• FWIW, I've been told by a few recently-married people that doing first look photos doesn't take away from the beauty and awe of the moment when the bride walks down the aisle.  I've yet to hear from anyone who has regretted doing it - and I have heard from a couple of people that they really wish they had.

FI and I do plan on doing a first look, I want the privacy and intimacy of *just us* because I'm worried that if it's in front of our families, I'll stage my reaction too much, or just be too nervous about them. 
    Mrs. Abbe Peanut Butter || Planning Bio
    June 2012 February Signature: Favorite picture of you & FI
  • I voted "other" for a few reasons.

If it was in our budget to have our photographers before the ceremony, I would of loved to have the first look photos done. However, we only have the 2 photographers from the start time of the ceremony. I won't even have any "getting" ready professional pics taken. I will have a camera handy and the bridesmaids will be doing their part in capturing the moments for me.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    June 2012 May Siggy Challenge: The invitations
    image 126 Are ready to party!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_first-look-photos?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:26c79041-4cc8-4cd5-bdc7-8555fa147076Post:e30ef9ae-df71-4963-be42-f0c713ab93f3">Re: First Look Photos?</a>:
    [QUOTE]FWIW, I've been told by a few recently-married people that doing first look photos doesn't take away from the beauty and awe of the moment when the bride walks down the aisle.  I've yet to hear from anyone who has regretted doing it - and I have heard from a couple of people that they really wish they had.<strong> FI and I do plan on doing a first look, I want the privacy and intimacy of *just us* because I'm worried that if it's in front of our families, I'll stage my reaction too much, or just be too nervous about them. </strong>
    Posted by DrPB2b13[/QUOTE]

TK ate my post, so sorry if I double post?!

But the bolded part exactly! I don't really like being the center of attention, so walking down the aisle in front of everyone makes me nervous and I don't want that to take away from the first time I see Fi! I am actuallly SOOOOO excited for the first look. It's my favorite part of weddings when I get to hear about them. Ah. Can't wait.

Every wedding I have been to that has done the first look has had tears from either the bride and groom during the ceremony anyway.

Of course it all is preference. So hopefully all of our different opinions will help you make a decision that is best for you!! Best of luck :)
    A+K
    "Be who God meant you to be and you will set the world on fire."
    --St. Catherine of Siena
  • I feel like I'm an "ugly crier", so I'm still debating whether or not I want to have a first look session, or wait until the walk down the aisle. I am 89% sure that I will cry when I first see FI on our wedding day, and I'm not sure I want to be making hideous faces all the way down the very long aisle at our church. However, I still really like the idea of waiting until the actual ceremony to see FI on our wedding day.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_first-look-photos?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:26c79041-4cc8-4cd5-bdc7-8555fa147076Post:22616c47-9356-42ef-8493-79af97d3f08b">Re: First Look Photos?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am struggling with this same thing too. I am such a traditional bride and have always pictured the church doors open and have his breath taken away. But the problem is time. I have people coming from out of town and want to spend as much of the day with them as I can. I just don't know what I am going to do.
    Posted by mjradney[/QUOTE]

We are not doing a first look because I want him to see my the first time coming down the aisle. To make up for time, about 90 min before the ceremony the bridesmaids and I will take formal pics indoors and outdoors, then go back to our suite, then the groomsmen and FI will do the same,'finishing up around 45 min before the ceremony - and the two groups will not cross paths. That way, after the ceremony we will only need to take a few pics of the entire group, then some of he and I together, and then we can get to the party quicker!
    Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I don't know if I should start a new thread but wondering for those who are planning first look photos if you are doing anything special for this moment? Or how you are planning to do it? Just wanting some creative ideas.
    imageLilySlim Weight loss tickers Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • No we are not, I want the church doors to open and that be the first time he sees me, we have a luncheon in our church hall for guest as the BP goes to take pictures after the ceremony before moving to our reception venue for dinner and dancing... I guess I am old fashion...
    image 220 Are ready to party!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • This was something we thought a lot about and we've decided to do a first look.  We're going to be in a place in our city that is important to us and also visually stunning, so I'm excited about those pictures.  It will be just FI and I and the photographers.

I'm also hoping this will calm my nerves because I don't want to be weeping through the ceremony.  

We're going to a second location in the city to do pictures with our WP, so we'll have a full two hours to get amazing shots and then not have to sacrifice any time during the cocktail hour.

We decided that having a celebration was very important to us and I'm glad we won't be missing any of it.
    June 2012 Siggy Challenge - Wedding Shoes - Which ones?
    Photobucket
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I was on the fence about it for a while...I went and read some posts on the photography board.  After that I decided I want to do them.  FI doesn't care either way.  He said it was up to me.  I get nervous now just thinking about our wedding day and walking down the aisle.  I am hoping that seeing him first in private will help calm me down.  Plus I wanted more time to spend with our guests.  We are actually going to take as many pics as we can with the wedding party before the ceremony.  This way the WP can enjoy the cocktail hour as well.  Plus I figure our make up will be as fresh and pretty as possible if we do them first.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited January 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_first-look-photos?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:26c79041-4cc8-4cd5-bdc7-8555fa147076Post:ab92dd2b-fe0c-4390-a331-1677223658f6">Re: First Look Photos?</a>:
    [QUOTE]This was something we thought a lot about and we've decided to do a first look.  We're going to be in a place in our city that is important to us and also visually stunning, so I'm excited about those pictures.  It will be just FI and I and the photographers.<strong> I'm also hoping this will calm my nerves because I don't want to be weeping through the ceremony</strong>.   We're going to a second location in the city to do pictures with our WP, so we'll have a full two hours to get amazing shots and then not have to sacrifice any time during the cocktail hour. We decided that having a celebration was very important to us and I'm glad we won't be missing any of it.
    Posted by nvelez28[/QUOTE]

I cry at a drop of a hat if I am happy/sad/mad.  Seriously I should try to grow a backbone, but since I probably won't do that by the time my wedding rolls around I want to have time before the wedding to be excited/super emotional and get some of it out of my system.  I will probably still tear up at the ceremony, but hopefully they will be pretty tears :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    June 2012 April Siggy Challenge: Rings
  • I didn't mind either way. My photographer pointed out some good points in doing them. That way we have more time after the ceremony to enjoy ourselves. But I left the choice to FI and he thought about it and decided he wanted to see me for the first time walking down the aisle.
    image Daisypath Anniversary tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • edited January 2012
    Our photographer convinced us to do them with these:

(All photos courtesy of Kellie Kano)

Kellie also told us that most of the moment's walking down the aisle are even more special because all those nerves are gone, so you're left with the pure joy and happiness of that moment and it shines through. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_first-look-photos?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:26c79041-4cc8-4cd5-bdc7-8555fa147076Post:f6cabb56-70aa-4c3d-bc27-cd8e38f2acd4">Re: First Look Photos?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: First Look Photos? : We are not doing a first look because I want him to see my the first time coming down the aisle. To make up for time, about 90 min before the ceremony the bridesmaids and I will take formal pics indoors and outdoors, then go back to our suite, then the groomsmen and FI will do the same,'finishing up around 45 min before the ceremony - and the two groups will not cross paths. That way, after the ceremony we will only need to take a few pics of the entire group, then some of he and I together, and then we can get to the party quicker!
    Posted by mrsbrantley[/QUOTE]

This is a great idea!!
  • Gorgeous pictures Kelsey! Thanks for sharing!
  • My FI does not want to see me before the wedding at all, lol So I agreed with him, it's important to him so it is important to me.
  • I'm pretty traditional in that I don't want us to see each other before I walk down the aisle. My favourite part of weddings is always watching the groom's face as the bride enters. Our plan for the photos is to get some quick family shots right after the ceremony (the reception is at my parents' house, so they'll want to get over there right away), and then the bridal party will go to another location for more shots. Hopefully it doesn't take too long. We're going to do shots of just the two of us after the reception when the lighting is perfect! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards