Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

at a lose

so since im getting married in about 53 days, i figured it would be a very wise choice to make an appointment for the cake. I emailed a bakery thats close byand then called today to answer the questions he asked via email. REALLY nice guy too. anywho, he said hes pretty booked around the time i would need the cake but since i only want a 2 tier cake and told him i want it pretty basic and simple, he is able to squeeze it in. That and i offered to pick it up since its not far from my home. Now i have an appointment tomorrow at 1 cuz it was the earliest he was available and the only day im off work this week. like i said he is REALLY nice.
Heres the problem, my FI is military and currently 6000 miles away in another country, my mom works nights and said "she would try" which usually means she cant or shes gonna make up an excuse, my MOH lives in another city 5 hours from here, AND i called my FMIL and she said the same thing as my mom but even if she can make it she is NEVER on time. no lie, when we took a tour of the church she was over an hour late. Everyone else is working or doesnt live in the same city. i dont know who else to ask and quite frankly im tired of planning this entire wedding by my self. Im not gonna cancel cuz its the only gonna cost me an estimated $228 and if i buy the wedding cake there i can get the grooms cake super cheap. and all i know is my FI doesnt like chocolate :( any suggestions on what to do?
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: at a lose

• edited December 2011
    Erm... what's the question? Are you asking if you should go by yourself? In which case the answer is if you're old enough to get married, you're old enough to be able to make a simple decision like which non-chocolate cake flavour you like the best.

If you're asking for groom's cake suggestions, I say think about his hobbies/any sports teams he follows.
  • edited December 2011
    It wasnt so much a question but a vent. Im well aware i can go by myself but i figured a second opinion would be smart since i dont know what everyone likes. Ive pretty much figured out the grooms cake if we decide to have one since my FI said he would rather just have 1 cake. i asked for suggestions on what to do in this situation considering ive only been a guest at one wedding and her cake was over in the back corner where no one noticed it or ate it. SO in other words, i dont know what to do in this type of situation.
  • edited December 2011
    I'm sure the baker will have some different options for you to taste...just go with what tastes the best to you.

My new bff Gayle Forman!

?You can have your wishes, your plans, but at the end of the day, it's out of your control" - Gayle Forman
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Married Bio

Lizzie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)?????? image

• edited December 2011
    Also, if you're wondering about cake flavors, check out some of the other posts on this board....there are several recently about the flavors that other people have picked.

My new bff Gayle Forman!

?You can have your wishes, your plans, but at the end of the day, it's out of your control" - Gayle Forman
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Married Bio

Lizzie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)?????? image

• edited December 2011
    Then I stand by my original statement. Choose the non-chocolate flavour you like the best. If you want two flavours (one for each tier), then do that. Laughing
  • edited December 2011

Well the baker said if i want to get a grooms cake he would give me a good deal on it since id be getting my wedding cake from them. I would really like to apologize for the last post i made on here... i feel like i came off kinda rude. im just gettin stressed with everything. I think one of my bridesmaids is going to go with me so she can help with the design of the cake, all i know is i want it to be round and 2 tiers... the rest im hopin will come easy or the baker will give me some good ideas.

• edited December 2011
    Don't be stressed....its just cake! This should be something fun for you to do. Also, your baker should have a book of their past work, so there might be a design in there that catches your eye. Just try to relax a bit and enjoy picking out your cake.

My new bff Gayle Forman!

Pregnancy Ticker
    Married Bio

• JustKateJustKate member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Aww..I feel for you!  My FI doesn't like chocolate, he went with me to the tasing and he really liked the almond cake.  I got red velvet since I do like chocolate.  And you have to remember that your guests will be eating most of this cake, not the two of you so keep it simple enough to appeal to most people.  When you get too specific, they won't eat it and then it just goes to waste.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Don't stress about it! Sometimes it's hard to get your point across when you're frustrated.

FWIW, I don't think you need to go with the simplest flavour - especially if you can do two! Keep in mind, no matter what you choose, there will be someone who doesn't like it. Your guests are adults, and if they don't like something, they're not going to jump up and down like little kids and complain about it.

At least they shouldn't. If they do, they need some etiquette lessons.
  • edited December 2011
    I agree with PPs and just keep the cake something simple.  White cake with white filling, and then maybe white cake with a different filling.  Lemon/raspberry/cherry/chocoalte, whatever.

Our baker had a book of wedding cakes they had done so H and I just flipped through that and picked out a relatively simple design.  H came with me, but he doesn't really like cake or care about cake at all, so it was pretty much like I was there by myself, and that was fine, because I love cake, and that was one thing that I really had strong opinions on. :)
  • bridalgal50bridalgal50 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    First, take a deep breath....and release s l o w l y.....   :)  Relax!  This will be the easiest, most fun part of the planning for sure!  Choose a white or butter yellow cake with a mousse or fruit filling and most of your guests will be happy.

A two-tiered cake is adorable -and give it some extra 'omph' by placing it on a pedestal cake stand.  Your baker should have one to rent.

Have your florist make a small arrangement for the topper, or your baker can make icing flowers or maybe even a fondant bow for the top.  Scatter flower petals or decorative stones around the cake table, throw in a few votive candles and you are good to go!  :)

Good luck with your planning!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards