Hawaii

Resort vs Condo

so I will be staying in Maui for 7 nights for my wedding and honeymoon. still have not decided on  West or South but leaning toward West Maui since there is more to do. My logic was to have a  condo with a full kitchen bc eating out every meal would get old and expensive. but am i missing out on the pools and resort pampering etc. by staying in a condo? id really appreciate hearing everyones experience. thanks

Re: Resort vs Condo

• pbkmompbkmom member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011

many of the condos operate like hotels. For example, we stayed at Kaanapali Alii which has bellmen, front dest; activity concierge, helath club, spa, pool attendants, etc. You can order room service from the Westin next door. The condos at the Alii are listed as 1 and 2 bedroom but in reality most of them have a "den" which is enclosed and acts as a second or third bedroom. If you figure 4 people in a one bedroom, then it is a good savings over the beachfront hotels. Condos can be booked through Classic Resorts which manages Allii or directly through owners on websites like vrbo.com. The list price is fairly high but we found condos in Jan from $250 - $350/night. The beach walk along Kaanapali provides plenty of diversions, but the condo grounds are relaxing and low key.

• edited December 2011
    You do miss out on those things when staying in a condo. Really if you are having a lot of family there the whole time you are going to be there you probably will not be staying in the condoor resort very much. So to me personally I would rather save money and stay at a condo. However we are booking a nice hotel for the night of our wedding.. as a little treat!
  • lwav8176lwav8176 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort Villas are another option that is the best of both worlds.
  • carrieoz_76carrieoz_76 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Just wanted to add - I personally really prefer South Maui, and we found plenty to do there.  But either way it's Maui and you can't go wrong.  :)
  • ETweetETweet member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Regret #1: We REALLY regretted not having a condo, or non-resort hotel, before our wedding. We were so incredibly busy with family that we didn't spend a single second at the resort, thus wasting a lot of money. We would have rather spent the money on our wedding or saved it all together.
    Regret #2: We spent a total of two weeks there and did the resort thing the whole time. We wished we would have done a condo at least half of the time because we spent A TON of money eating out. I came back from my honeymoon 10 pounds heavier with a wallet a heck of a lot lighter! I would have wished for the opposite.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards