Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

ceremony in public plaza-decor ideas

Hello!
I'm getting married in a public plaza/park and I'm lost for ideas on how to decorate. Decorations are highly limited because it's a public space (so no hanging things up, no leaving things in the space like petals/confetti, etc). I knew this going into it, and I don't need anything elaborate, but I would like something to define the space and let guests know where the ceremony is to take place. 

I've seen something about hearts out of flour placed on the concrete (heart-shaped stencil and dust colored flour over it...supposed to disappear pretty fast). My concern with this is 1-it will be ruined by the time guests come 2-still not appropriate since it's a public space

Another idea I have is to use lanterns filled with flowers and have the bridal party carry them out, in lieu of a bouquet.

Sorry for the long post! Any ideas welcome; thanks in advance

Re: ceremony in public plaza-decor ideas

• What about placing some sort of yard marker along the path and using something pretty to cover up the reflector part like flowers or heart cut outs. Easy & quick to put into the ground and quick for someone to go around & pull out afterwards too. If you do hearts you can put   Smith/Jones  -->  on the heart. Making them like trail markers
  • We won't have chairs at our ceremony so it will be standing.

Erikan73-I love the yard marker idea and covering up the reflector part!! I'm going to look into that. I'm sure we can just sort of toss them in the corner at the reception.

Thank you all for your suggestions!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_ceremony-in-public-plaza-decor-ideas?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:c5c175a7-eefb-4f77-afac-a5823db05090Post:c92634eb-1d15-4080-94b2-ded888679442">Re: ceremony in public plaza-decor ideas</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>We won't have chairs at our ceremony so it will be standing.</strong> Erikan73-I love the yard marker idea and covering up the reflector part!! I'm going to look into that. I'm sure we can just sort of toss them in the corner at the reception. Thank you all for your suggestions!
    Posted by dscolorado[/QUOTE]

Are you sure that's a good idea? I'd worry about my guests not having a seat.

Maybe lantern type things along the aisle would work too. I made some super cute little ones from mason jars.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_ceremony-in-public-plaza-decor-ideas?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:c5c175a7-eefb-4f77-afac-a5823db05090Post:c92634eb-1d15-4080-94b2-ded888679442">Re: ceremony in public plaza-decor ideas</a>:
    [QUOTE]We won't have chairs at our ceremony so it will be standing. Erikan73-I love the yard marker idea and covering up the reflector part!! I'm going to look into that. I'm sure we can just sort of toss them in the corner at the reception. Thank you all for your suggestions!
    You need to rethink this, it's not okay to do that to your guests.  It doesn't matter how short you plan your ceremony to be, every guest should have a seat.  Period.

• I'm sorry, I should have explained our ceremony more in detail from the getgo.  There is no seating not only because the space doesn't allow it, but also there is no walking down the aisle (there is no aisle), no bridal party, no readings. We are having a ceremony lasting literally less than ten minutes (probably close to 6-7) and our reception is about a 4 min walk away and will commence immediately upon arrival. We are also a lovely bunch of ablebodied people in good shape. All of my guests are already aware, and have expressed approval, that they will be standing for 6 minutes (all 20 of them). We are getting married in a small covered plaza in a public park. 

I was just looking for some creative ideas to make the space more defined, rather than just "pretty." 

I hadn't realized how bad not having chairs came off, though! I get it though; I just attended a wedding where the officiant forget to tell the guests to sit back down after the arrival of the bride and we all ended up standing for the 20-min ceremony. 
  • edited October 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_ceremony-in-public-plaza-decor-ideas?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:c5c175a7-eefb-4f77-afac-a5823db05090Post:c92634eb-1d15-4080-94b2-ded888679442">Re: ceremony in public plaza-decor ideas</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>We won't have chairs at our ceremony so it will be standing</strong>. Erikan73-I love the yard marker idea and covering up the reflector part!! I'm going to look into that. I'm sure we can just sort of toss them in the corner at the reception. Thank you all for your suggestions!
    <div>
    </div><div>You could rent 20 chairs for the ceremony for under 100 bucks.  </div><div>
    </div><div>You might even be able to ask your reception venue to let you use 20 chairs at the ceremony site.   </div><div>
    </div><div>But you HAVE to have chairs. It doesn't matter how short the ceremony will be.  People arrive early. People are in heels. It's a bad, bad, bad idea to skip chairs.</div><div>
    </div><div><div>My brother had a wedding with limited seating (aka seating for immediate family and elderly people only).  It was a disaster and people still talk about it.</div><div>
    </div></div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_ceremony-in-public-plaza-decor-ideas?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:c5c175a7-eefb-4f77-afac-a5823db05090Post:808849c5-e19b-4125-aeca-e648935bee12">Re: ceremony in public plaza-decor ideas</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: ceremony in public plaza-decor ideas : You could rent 20 chairs for the ceremony for under 100 bucks.   You might even be able to ask your reception venue to let you use 20 chairs at the ceremony site.    But you HAVE to have chairs. It doesn't matter how short the ceremony will be.  People arrive early. People are in heels. It's a bad, bad, bad idea to skip chairs. My brother had a wedding with limited seating (aka seating for immediate family and elderly people only).  It was a disaster and people still talk about it.
    Posted by NOLAbridealmost[/QUOTE]
    This.  I cannot overemphasize how important this is.

• don't know what to tell you on the seating...for me it would be an issue, but it is what it is...as far as defining the space...i assume you will be standing in front of group? perhaps a large garden urn, i have seen both plastic and foam at hobbylobby and the garden center with some flowers and curly willow? i would think just two would do it...one on either side...it would be light weight so easy to grab and carry away when done...
  • If they need to be in and out of the park in such a short time without leaving anything behind, chairs seem like way too much of a hassle. Would you guys rather stand for 6-7 minutes or carry one (or two) chairs several blocks away for the reception?

If you're concerned about the added time in being there early, nbd. You can just sit on a park bench. They're pretty much everywhere in parks.

I think you guys are blowing this way out of proportion, especially if all of the guests have agreed with dscolorado that it's a good idea.

In terms of decorations, have you considered tying some ribbons around trees or the plaza? It's easy to untie and take with you, and can look nice, as well.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_ceremony-in-public-plaza-decor-ideas?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:c5c175a7-eefb-4f77-afac-a5823db05090Post:bc2d96b2-3a54-4fd3-8ea5-9070f39460e5">Re: ceremony in public plaza-decor ideas</a>:
    [QUOTE]If they need to be in and out of the park in such a short time without leaving anything behind, chairs seem like way too much of a hassle.<strong> Would you guys rather stand for 6-7 minutes or carry one (or two) chairs several blocks away for the reception?</strong> If you're concerned about the added time in being there early, nbd. You can just sit on a park bench. They're pretty much everywhere in parks. I think you guys are blowing this way out of proportion, especially if all of the guests have agreed with dscolorado that it's a good idea. In terms of decorations, have you considered tying some ribbons around trees or the plaza? It's easy to untie and take with you, and can look nice, as well.
    Posted by DocileDoom[/QUOTE]
    Neither, actually.  It's not the guests' job to transport chairs.

• Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited November 2012
    Can you put out some pots of flowers, trees, etc. that can be removed later?

Edited to add: Uh-oh.  You're going to need seating for everyone.  It's simply one amenity that's an absolute must.  People just can't be expected to stand-especially if they're wearing heels, have medical issues, are elderly, pregnant, disabled, or otherwise normally need to sit.  It doesn't matter how long the ceremony is, not providing seating is an absolute no-no.  If your venue won't allow it, you'd better find another venue ASAP-maybe have the ceremony at the reception location.
  • I'm a little late, but you say you are sure this is okay because everyone is "ablebodied." Are they all tall, or going to arrange themselves according to height? You might have several guests who are present, but miss the ceremony anyway because they can't see. Folding benches sound like a great option.

I like the idea of potted trees, or maybe some baskets of flowers to define the space.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards