Hawaii

It's time for a massage!

I'm going to have a massage at the Grand Wailea spa during our visit, and I've never had a professional massage before.  If you've had them before, what technique do you prefer, and why?  If you've been to the spa at the Grand Wailea, what's the one thing you'd recommend getting/doing there?

Oh, and assuming I can fit it in timing-wise, is there any reason I shouldn't have my massage the morning of the wedding?

Thanks!

Re: It's time for a massage!

• edited December 2011
    Grand Wailea Spa is amazing...not so much the service itself, but the environment. The "terme" is mind-blowing.  Make sure to get there early to enjoy all of the baths.  

As for massages, I prefer deep tissue, otherwise I feel like they're just rolling my flab around. ;)

I've heard that getting a massage the morning of your wedding can be a no-no. People say that you're too stressed or too concerned with the afternoon's activities to really enjoy it.  Keep in mind, too, that a 50 min massage at the Grand Wailea really takes at least 2 hours to get in and out.  
  • carrieoz_76carrieoz_76 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_hawaii_its-time-massage?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:73Discussion:18caa402-d829-4562-ae24-4f5f425362c1Post:3900acde-7a6e-4529-a11f-a2d87b15d932">Re: It's time for a massage!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I've heard that getting a massage the morning of your wedding can be a no-no. People say that you're too stressed or too concerned with the afternoon's activities to really enjoy it.
    Posted by jackcody[/QUOTE]
    Hm, good point.  So maybe the next day?  We're leaving south Maui on Sunday morning after our wedding so I have a few days before the wedding, the day itself, or the next day as my options.<div>
    </div><div>Oh, and Brittana, about those baths - are they nude?  Or can you wear a suit?  I'm not really a fan of being nude in public places...</div>
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.weddings.com/Sites/Weddings/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_hawaii_its-time-massage?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:73Discussion:18caa402-d829-4562-ae24-4f5f425362c1Post:316a29f4-cead-41e0-8d86-5b3d33018c72">Re: It's time for a massage!</a>:
    [QUOTE] Oh, and Brittana, about those baths - are they nude? [/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I've seen women do both, so it's totally cool either way.  </div><div>
    </div><div>The baths include seaweed, salt, a couple types of mud, and some others that I can't remember.  A bunch of neat showers, a cool plunge and of course normal jacuzzi.  </div><div>
    </div><div>FI is doing his two days before, I'm doing mine three days before the wedding.  </div><div>
    </div><div>HTH</div>
  • edited December 2011
    Not a naked public baths person, huh Carrie? I couldn't do it until Japan, where naked public bathing is all the rage.

I'd do it a day to two days before the wedding. Enjoy the spa - man, that place is INSANE.
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_hawaii_its-time-massage?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:73Discussion:18caa402-d829-4562-ae24-4f5f425362c1Post:174fc1eb-cdbe-4bd0-b239-2eec3bbb3ffd">Re: It's time for a massage!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Not a naked public baths person, huh Carrie? Posted by kaesha[/QUOTE]
    Yea, no.  But I'm much more comfortable in my skin in Hawaii, so maybe there's a first time for everything.  :)
  • edited December 2011

Sounds wonderful!

I did a massage the day after the wedding, and it was pure heaven. I didn't have a thought in my head about the wedding (other than what an amazing time it was), so I could just relax and enjoy. It would be good before the wedding if you can (unlike me) shut down your mind and soak it in. Otherwise, save it for after.

I had my first and only deep tissue massage in Jamaica. I didn't enjoy it (it hurt!), and I was sore for two days, which wasn't how I wanted to feel on vacation. Maybe, my masseuse was just too aggressive--I haven't braved it again. I usually ask for a therapeutic massage with extra pressure point work on my neck and shoulders. You can always ask for someone who does multiple styles, so he or she can switch it up if you don't like what they're doing.

• AKWinterBrideAKWinterBride member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am going to get a massage 2 days before our wedding, the only reason I wouldn't do it the day of (besides the time cruch) is that you are absolutely COVERED in oil, from head to toe.  So you would have to work in time for a really good shower as well. 
    I prefer the Swedish massage, only because the Deep Tissue massages that I have had actually hurt.  I am pretty petite, and I feel like they might just snap me in half!  But, it all really depends on what you like.  If you have sore muscles, the deep tissue may be the one for you.  I try to have them do deep on my shoulders cause that is where I carry my stress, and then regular everywhere else. 
    Have fun, it's going to be amazing!!
    And yeah - I can't get behind the public bathing either.  Maybe in Hawaii though...
    Photobucket Photobucket Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Carrie, you will absolutely LOVE your massage at the Grand Wailea. I got one 2 days before the wedding and it was perfect. While you are in Hawaii, look through some Hawaii mags (can't remember the name) because we came across an ad where for something like $125 we got a full body scrub/rinse (its pretty quick, but great), enjoyed an hour in the different soaking baths, hour massage, and then $25 towards lunch at the hotel (which was delicious!). I also enjoyed the few minutes I had to relax on the lanai overlooking the property before getting called in for my massage. I wore my bathing suit while soaking in the baths and it seemed like half the women were naked and the other half had on their suits. As for type of massage, I find that the deep tissue is painful so I stay away from those...I prefer swedish. Enjoy every moment, it's going to be fab!!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for all the great advice, ladies!   My BMs got me a gift certificate to the Grand Wailea as my shower gift, or I probably wouldn't have splurged on it, but now I can't wait!  I'll definitely look for a coupon so I can stretch the g.c. a little further.  :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards