Wedding Invitations & Paper
Options

Formal titles in law enforcement???

I have an aunt that is a captain of a police department and I am wondering if I use her title when addressing her invitation. Her partner is a retired Navy Commander and I know to use his title but wasn't sure about hers. Thank you for any help.

Re: Formal titles in law enforcement???

• Options

FIL is a fire department chief and BIL a lieutenant, but they don't use their titles socially. In fact, BIL would be pretty weirded out if I addressed him as Lieutenant BIL Laughing

If you are questioning if your aunt prefers to use her title not, addressing her as Captain Aubrey's Aunt is never wrong. You could also just ask her...she is your aunt, after all.

• Options
    manjermjmanjermj member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited November 2012
    If you're not having a military wedding, then it is not necessary to use anyone's titles. Actually, I know a lot of people that prefer just a Mr. or Mrs. instead of their actual title in normal social situations (aka non military wedding).
  • Options
    I don't think it's the same thing as being a doctor. You wouldn't address an invitation to an attorney as John Smith, Esq would you? Same thing applies.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    FI is a police officer (as are many of his friends) and I think they'd all laugh if they got an invite addressed to PO3 Freebread FI.  I'd say don't do it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards