Minnesota-Minneapolis and St. Paul

Registering question

We have FINALLY started the process of thinking about registering and I am wondering how many pieces of china should you register for?  I wasn't really going to register for china, but found a set that matches the design for our wedding invite-totally cool.  One set includes 5 placesettings, but I am thinking that if we were to ever entertain, we would need more than 5 placesettings, especially if both sets of parents are over.  Should we register for 2 sets, OR register for 1 set then buy ourselves another set???  TIA!

Re: Registering question

• edited December 2011
    we didn't register for china, so I'm definitely not an expert! But I would think you're going to want at least 10 settings since you're most likely to use china on holidays/special occasions which usually means you're hosting a group. So I would definitely register for 2 sets.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • shameless_adshameless_ad member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would register for at least 2 sets, and maybe 3.  We are planning on registering for 12 place settings of our china. 

You could always register for 2, then add another later on if you end up getting both at showers.
    Bio - Updated 7/25/10
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image 284 Invited image 182 Attending image 96 Declined image 6 Not yet replied
  • edited December 2011

Ah...showers...I haven't had a single person talk to me about one yet...not sure how I feel about that!

• emilyj77emilyj77 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would do three. And you could always keep one in the box. Pieces will break over the years, and if you really love it, but can't find replacements then you're set with the third back up set.

We registered for 14 place settings and got every single one of them as a wedding or shower gift. Plus if you get three and then decide to return one set, you always have that option.

At least two, but register for three. Also some places let you complete your items from your registry for 10-20% off after your wedding. So you can always buy the extra sets for yourself if no one else does.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I would do 3 at least. I don't know what kind of entertainers you are but my grandmother gave us her china set 2 years and it has 20 place settings. They had lots of dinner parties. But when I think about having relatives over for holidays, it would be nice to use the china. People aren't going to think you are crazy for registering for more than 1 set.
    Trying to Conceive Ticker "All that I'm after is a life full of laughter, As long as I'm laughing with you" Planning Bio image
  • Bimbi284Bimbi284 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We registered for 12 place settings. 
  • edited December 2011
    We also registered for 12, as guided by the salesperson at Macy's. We intend to use giftcards/discount options to complete the set if necessary.
    Number Atttending 10 image Number Declined 37 image Number Not Replied 240 image
    RSVP Date: September 1
    /image>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    My Bio
  • drdifabiodrdifabio member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We were told 12 as well - if they come in increments of 5 I would do 3 sets.
  • edited December 2011
    We were going back and forth between 10 and 12 settings.  We have time, but I think we'll do 12.  But we didn't do *real* nice china, so we might just use it as every day stuff anyway :)  It's so pretty!

I'd just do 3 boxes, so you can have extras in case of breakage as PP said.
  • RTrepanierRTrepanier member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We did just normal dishes and registered for three sets - so 12 total settings. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards