Iowa-Des Moines
Options

WWYD?

I have a delimia. We are doing things a little differently for our reception--we have a small wedding (75 people) and most of them are family members who have no desier to try to talk over a DJ. So, we are doing a few yard games (Bean bag toss, ladder ball, croquete) and a bonfire with a smores station. But my issue comes with the want of first dances and the thought of inclimate weather raining on my day. I don't want (nor do we really have the budget) to spend gobs of money on a DJ when I know most people won't dance, but I kind of want some kind of music. Would you try to find a DJ willing to do a couple hours for a couple hundred bucks or would you try to pull off an ipod reception? Has anyone done the ipod thing? Was your experience good or bad? Has anyone done an outdoor wedding/reception and had to chance plans due to rain? How did you entertain your guests?

Thanks for the help!
image 31 Total invites!
image 21 Are ready for a good time! image 7 Are sorry to miss the fun! image 3 Are making me crazy!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: WWYD?

• Options
    milesbellamilesbella member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're having a DJ but I know of several people who have done the Ipod with no problems.  I've also attended one wedding at Jester Park and they had an Ipod shuffling through songs so that people could talk and mingle.  It worked out perfectly just continued to play throughout the reception.  I assume they hooked their's up through the sound system at Jester Park.  I don't think that would be a problem at all.

As far as the outside reception - unfortunately, that's a risk you take, especially with this crazy Iowa weather and never knowing whether it's going to rain or not.  I would definitely have a backup plan just in case.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks! I should clarify that our reception is in doors (dinner and cake will all be inside),  however we are having things set up outside for people to do. I'm not sure I stated that clearly the first time. So it's not as if we won't have a place for people to gather incase of bad weather, it's what to do to keep them entertained since no one is huge on dancing and it's a mostly older crowd who will not want to talk over the music that they likely won't care for anyway.
    image 31 Total invites!
    image 21 Are ready for a good time! image 7 Are sorry to miss the fun! image 3 Are making me crazy!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Is there not space to set up the games inside if you had too?  A hallway or something?  It wouldn't be ideal to have games inside, but would it be possible to make it work if you had to.  As far as the ipod reception goes... I had a friend do this last summer.  It worked for her, but it would be good to have someone in charge of watching over things.  She played it off her computer using playlists from itunes.  She hooked the computer up to a speaker at the church she was having her reception at.  It worked out fine and the sound was fine, but there were a couple people there who thought it would be funny to keep changing the order of the songs.  Like I said to avoid that, have someone responsible watch over the computer/ipod to make sure the songs are played in the order you want them.  Also, having too many songs is better than not having enough.  Good Luck! 
    Anniversary
  • Options
    medusia00medusia00 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have seen it done great, I think that if you wanted to hire a DJ you could find someone for a couple of hours for a pretty decent price. I know there was a list of DJ"s on here at some point in time.
    Sept 11, April Siggy, HM Picture!!
    On a Boat, with our Flippy-Floppies!
    Anniversary
    Want to see my Bio? PM Me!!
    Wifey Shenanigans & Day Zero
  • Options
    ToBeMrs2011ToBeMrs2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Check this guy out...

He's SUPER personable...I talked with him at the HyVee Bridal Show that happened a few weeks ago.  And he charges a flat hourly rate, no packages and stuff like that. 

Alteratively, perhaps you could rent a simple audio system somewhere and then use an iPod for the dances that you would like to do.  A friend/family member could act as the DJ for just a few minutes and then you won't have to worry about the big fuss of a DJ.  

Just an idea...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks! I'll check into him. I appreciate everyone's ideas.
    image 31 Total invites!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    xandxheartsxxandxheartsx member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I just got married 4 days ago, and we rented DJ equipment for $200. We just used an ipod and it went really well. I had someone I trusted watch over the music and everything went pretty smoothly. I set up a playlist that was a few hours long and just played it real low in the background until the dancing started, then we turned up the volume and it was great! I can get you the website for the DJ rental place if that's something you're interested in!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards