Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh

Is 11pm ending time too early?

I've noticed that some venues - e.g. Mattress Factory and the Aviary - have a 11pm closing time due to noise ordinances.  This seems pretty early to me, esp because my FI and I are big on dancing.

However, maybe everyone is tired by then anyway?  Any thoughts on whether this is an important factor?

Re: Is 11pm ending time too early?

• LetsHikeTodayLetsHikeToday member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ours had to end at 11 because of the zoo. It was fine. We would have loved another hour but everyone who wanted to went out to a bar after so it worked out.

That could be an optin for you.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • LilyWater09LilyWater09 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Just about every wedding I have been to, and when I have mine, ends between 10pm and 11pm.  Then everybody heads to a bar to finish celebrating. 
  • bgfst1bgfst1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think it depends on the crowd - you/your friends/family.... you know best if you think the people you're inviting to the wedding would appreciate the extra hour/time, or if people would be happy to leave early.
  • cgyvhucgyvhu member
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're planning on ending at 11...if people still want to party, we're planning on having them/us go out to bars after.
  • edited December 2011
    yikes...now im worried about my end time of 10. But we are also having an after party for any one who wants to come. I look at it this way: I have a lot of older guests who will be happy to leave at 10 and younger guests who will want to join our afterparty.

HTH
  • pantherRNpantherRN member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are ending at 10:30. I think anything between 10:00 and 11:00 is standard.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    I have this same situation too.  Our wedding runs from 5-11.  It's going to be on the Northside, so I'm wondering where we would go afterwards, barwise.  I don't now that side of town very well, and all I do know abouit it, makes me nervous.

Do brides wear their dresses out to the bars?  Or do most people change first?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • cgyvhucgyvhu member
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm going to see how I feel... we might be exhausted by 11pm and not in the mood to party anymore.  I plan on changing to go out to the bars though.
  • dbpsu18dbpsu18 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I will tell you that i did not make it out to the bars after the wedding... i was too exhausted and really wanted some time for just DH and I. If i had gone out to the bar.. i prob would of changed my dress.. only because it was heavy and as much as i loved it.. i was ready to get out of it!

• edited December 2011
    Ours was 4:30 - 10:30.

When we got back to the hotel we had a few drinks at the bar with our family & friends that were staying there. I think we finally went back to our room around 1, I was exhausted!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• edited December 2011
    Thanks for the input everyone.  I think 11pm is probably pretty early for our crew, but bars are an option.   I guess I was just thinking I'd like to have the option of keeping the dancing going, but I guess that is just a tradeoff of certain venues.

Nikki, are you having an afterparty at a house?  I like the idea but wouldn't want to incur any more rental fees!  Anyhow, its good to know that 11:00 doesn't seem to be unusual for weddings.
  • ShleeASTShleeAST member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

Our reception ended at 11:30pm and by that time I was ready for it to be done! I was so tired and I worried about the ending time too, because I love to dance and I wanted the day to last as long as it could! I think 11pm is a good ending time! Then you can go back to the hotel bar or another bar! I'd change my dress! I wanted to wear mine all night, but by 11pm I was ready to get out of it!

• teryan2321teryan2321 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ours has to end at 10, we are planning on going to my favorite bar afterwards to sing karaoke. Seriously! My DJ runs it, and he told me to let him know when we are on our way, and he will let us sing as soon as we get there. I'm wearing my dress and everything.
  • edited December 2011
    Jess-- I am having my reception at a hotel so we are just renting the presidental suite and having some ppl up afterwards for a party. We have a mixture of ages and I definetly think the older ppl will be ready to go by then ( our ceromony starts at 2) So it will be a looong day!

A lot of our guests are planning on getting rooms at the hotel as well.
  • djtoothdjtooth member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    the 11 ending seems to be about standard any more for the weddings i have djed lately. that being said, if you want yur reception longer, go for it, its your day. i know on my own wedding, by 11 i was pretty tired (but we had some issues with a theft of my laptop, which had all the music for my recepton on it). your wedding/reception should be about what you want though, so keep that in mind when planning.

tom
    Tom Barnes aka DJ Tooth www.djtooth.com iamtooth@aol.com
  • edited December 2011
    Our families and friends love the entertainment part of the night- band, dj and dancing.  Because our dinner won't be served until around 730-8pm, we decided to keep the party going until 1am!  But we're also having a midnight buffet.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards