Not Engaged Yet

Vera Wang E Ring

Hi everyone!

My boyfriend and I (23 years old, together for 4 years, this April) have been talking about marriage for quite some time and in January, he started talking about engagement rings. Anyway, we have been looking and discussing and the only one we both really like is a Vera Wang one from Zales (link below):

So, my question is: does anyone have this ring or a similar one? Or, any Vera Wang one? I am wondering the quality of this ring and others like it. I have heard rumors of the little diamonds on the side (on similar rings) falling out, leaving the owner to spend lots of time going to the jewlery store to get it fixed.

Any thoughts?

Re: Vera Wang E Ring

• That is a pretty ring. While there are some married ladies on this board, you might be better off asking on one of the others.... Maybe attire and accessories?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

"You are made of win." -SopChick
    Still here and still fabulous!

• Wait, don't go! I can answer this question!

While "chain" stores tend to have inflated prices, that doesn't mean their workmanship is horrible. My cousin has a Vera ring from Zales, similar in style to the one you linked. The problem with the stones on the band falling out comes from when you resize the band. This messes with the integrity of the stones' setting, and yes, ultimately you have to spend the time to get them fixed. This issue can be mostly avoided by having the ring made in your size.

Vera, according to my cousin, doesn't go smaller than 5.5, but I certainly would not recommend resizing this type of ring (just to be on the safe side). If you go with this ring, and it is quite lovely, tell your boyfriend to request it ordered in your size. Regardless! It will probably take 6-8 weeks (estimate of course) but remember, you don't have to have the ring to be engaged, or waiting a little while is certainly worth it to make sure the integrity of your stones is preserved!

One thing I will mention.... my cousin is having a heck of a time finding a band that fits with her ring (and it looks like yours might have the same trouble) because most bands (even the Vera bands) leave an unsightly gap (her words).  Hope this is somewhat useful information!
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Ask what their policy is on lost stones. I have a micropave ring, and I've lost one stone in a year and a half. I took it into the store I bought it from (not Zales--an independent jeweler), and they fixed it for me in about 15 minutes at no cost. The jeweler I purchased from said you're most likely to lose one in the first month or so that either wasn't set securely in the first place or was damaged by resizing.

I agree with LTG about ordering it in your size from the start so you aren't stressing the setting by resizing it
  • My ring has bead set stones on the sides and around the center stone, and I haven't had any problems in the 17 months we've had the ring (I've only been wearing it for 15 months).  However, I did just get it resized, so I may experience some in the future.  LTG was right about resizing compromising the setting for pave stones.

While it's a pretty ring, my general advice is to stay away from chain jewelry stores like Zales.  Prices are usually inflated and the quality of their stones is low for their more affordable items.

For example, on the ring in your link, the center stone (which is often, but not always, the most expensive part of the ring) is 1/3 carat in size, H-I in color (which means it will have a warm tint), and I1 to SI2 in clarity (possibly contains visible inclusions).  If you're ok with those stats, great!  In general, nobody is going to be scrutinizing the quality of your diamond and it probably won't even be noticible that it's not a perfect stone, but do keep in mind that those things decrease the value of the stone.  You can get a center stone with those stats from BlueNile or James Allen for about $400.

I'm not sure how much the setting is worth -- I couldn't find any online to compare.  So it may be a fair price, but $1600 just for the setting seems pretty high to me.  My setting (designed custom from an independent jeweler) was about that much and it's palladium (not white gold) and includes canary diamonds.  So yeah.

I don't want to talk you out of a ring you love or anything.  I just want to encourage to shop around and make sure you're getting the best deal.

Oh, final thought:  when you say you guys have been looking, do you mean just online or in person?  If you haven't yet, definitely try on some rings in person.  You may find that your tastes change a lot when you see the rings on your hand.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_vera-wang-e-ring?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:30e6a307-ff80-4861-b088-17a567bd7c49Post:d5090f04-3f8b-4f5d-8387-0e4b86029378">Re: Vera Wang E Ring</a>:
    [QUOTE]Wait, don't go! I can answer this question! While "chain" stores tend to have inflated prices, that doesn't mean their workmanship is horrible. My cousin has a Vera ring from Zales, similar in style to the one you linked. The problem with the stones on the band falling out comes from when you resize the band. This messes with the integrity of the stones' setting, and yes, ultimately you have to spend the time to get them fixed. This issue can be mostly avoided by having the ring made in your size. Vera, according to my cousin, doesn't go smaller than 5.5, but I certainly would not recommend resizing this type of ring (just to be on the safe side). If you go with this ring, and it is quite lovely, tell your boyfriend to request it ordered in your size. Regardless! It will probably take 6-8 weeks (estimate of course) but remember, you don't have to have the ring to be engaged, or waiting a little while is certainly worth it to make sure the integrity of your stones is preserved!<strong> One thing I will mention.... my cousin is having a heck of a time finding a band that fits with her ring (and it looks like yours might have the same trouble) because most bands (even the Vera bands) leave an unsightly gap (her words). </strong> Hope this is somewhat useful information!
    Posted by LilTexasGal[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>One thing you can do to fix this is to have custom ring where they take a piece of soft wax in your ring size which they place on your finger, then you put your e-ring on and it makes an impression in the wax which they then use as a mold to make your wedding band....

</div>
  • Thank you everyone for the responses! We actually went into Zales today so I could try it on and get my size and I still love it! The saleswoman said the same, that the diamonds typically fall out when re-sized so he took note of my size to have it ordered. I have looked at other retailers (local and chain) but this style ring is almost always much more expesive than $2000. Also, I have considered (and tried on) other styles but I just can't get away from this type!

Thank you again!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_vera-wang-e-ring?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:30e6a307-ff80-4861-b088-17a567bd7c49Post:6032423e-08ed-4964-8acb-610fcbe8f994">Re: Vera Wang E Ring</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thank you everyone for the responses! We actually went into Zales today so I could try it on and get my size and I still love it! The saleswoman said the same, that the diamonds typically fall out when re-sized so he took note of my size to have it ordered. I have looked at other retailers (local and chain) but this style ring is almost always much more expesive than $2000. Also, I have considered (and tried on) other styles but I just can't get away from this type! Thank you again!
    Posted by xokathyannxo[/QUOTE]

Ultimately you've got to get a ring you're going to be happy with (if you have a hand in picking it), and if you're happy with this ring then I'd say why look any more. :) Since you've already been looking at rings and you've fallen in love with this one, then I'd say it seems you've found your ring. Congrats. Just try not to think about it too much until he proposes. Also, try not to "assume" he is going to propose during special occasions. Actually, don't assume he is going to propose at all. The last thing you want to do is to ruin a perfectly wonderful night because you were expecting a ring, but he didn't ask! (Not saying you would, but just a general warning.) I didn't know it at the time, but my FI had the ring since January and he just proposed on Monday! I know others have had the ring for far longer, so just keep in mind that, just because he has it, doesn't mean you'll have it in the near future!

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Vera Wang E Ring : One thing you can do to fix this is to have custom ring where they take a piece of soft wax in your ring size which they place on your finger, then you put your e-ring on and it makes an impression in the wax which they then use as a mold to make your wedding band....
    Posted by tdwpg1984[/QUOTE]

Oh, that is excellent news. I had no idea they did something like that. I'll make sure to pass this info along. Thanks!
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_vera-wang-e-ring?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:30e6a307-ff80-4861-b088-17a567bd7c49Post:ddd82a80-9202-46b5-8195-9f9a6ed8dd84">Re: Vera Wang E Ring</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Vera Wang E Ring : Ultimately you've got to get a ring you're going to be happy with (if you have a hand in picking it), and if you're happy with this ring then I'd say why look any more. :) Since you've already been looking at rings and you've fallen in love with this one, then I'd say it seems you've found your ring. Congrats. Just try not to think about it too much until he proposes. Also, try not to "assume" he is going to propose during special occasions. Actually, don't assume he is going to propose at all. The last thing you want to do is to ruin a perfectly wonderful night because you were expecting a ring, but he didn't ask! (Not saying you would, but just a general warning.) I didn't know it at the time, but my FI had the ring since January and he just proposed on Monday! I know others have had the ring for far longer, so just keep in mind that, just because he has it, doesn't mean you'll have it in the near future!<strong> Oh, that is excellent news. I had no idea they did something like that. I'll make sure to pass this info along. Thanks!</strong>
    Posted by LilTexasGal[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I don't know if every store will do the wax molds, you might have to go to a custom jeweler, but some chain stores might do it...
    <div>

</div></div>
  • i have that ring and i love it..its a good choice
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards