September 2012 Weddings

And a sixpence in your shoe!

So I just bought a sixpence off ebay! Well, actually 2, one to give to a friend that's getting married. What the heck is this? You know- something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue, AND A SIXPENCE IN YOUR SHOE. I finally feel like I can start buying the little things now and it's so much fun! If anyone else wants one, just search sixpence on ebay and I got 2 for like a dollar + 50 cents for shipping :)

I'm also in love with these and want to buy them:

FI made the mistake of giving me his paypal account information (I ddon't have one) which has like a hundred bucks in it. Muahahahhahahaha.

Anyone buy a cute little wedding trinkets lately? Got pictures/links? Anything you want?
September 2012 Siggy Challenge: Wedding Preview!
imageWedding Countdown Ticker

122image 110image 12image

Re: And a sixpence in your shoe!

• smartlyprettysmartlypretty member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited February 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_september-2012-weddings_sixpence-shoe?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:a464c18c-2e4d-469b-8eae-3865079cb9cfDiscussion:57de0e0a-bcd2-4049-a3be-a8d26ea28f87Post:aaad9a96-49b2-4eb1-a26b-7bec43360e68">And a sixpence in your shoe!</a>:
    [QUOTE]So I just bought a sixpence off ebay! Well, actually 2, one to give to a friend that's getting married. What the heck is this? You know- something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue, AND A SIXPENCE IN YOUR SHOE. I finally feel like I can start buying the little things now and it's so much fun! If anyone else wants one, just search sixpence on ebay and I got 2 for like a dollar + 50 cents for shipping :) I'm also in love with these and want to buy them:<div> FI made the mistake of giving me his paypal account information (I ddon't have one) which has like a hundred bucks in it. Muahahahhahahaha. Anyone buy a cute little wedding trinkets lately? Got pictures/links? Anything you want?
    Posted by smartlypretty[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>
    </div><div>Quoting myself b/c it's all screwed up on my screen from the link.

</div></div>

• Cute! I was thinking about buying one too, I didn't realize they were so cheap!
    Planning Bio
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    222image 50image 19image
  • My late grandmother gave me one many years ago when I was previously engaged. I'll definitely be using it for the wedding and I am so glad I hadn't lost it. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Have you heard of putting a penny for the year in your shoe too for good luck?
    Photobucket
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Just because you saw it on Four Weddings, doesn't mean it's a good idea.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_september-2012-weddings_sixpence-shoe?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:a464c18c-2e4d-469b-8eae-3865079cb9cfDiscussion:57de0e0a-bcd2-4049-a3be-a8d26ea28f87Post:e8b1350d-2358-4f8a-84db-594bdb1cf5ad">Re: And a sixpence in your shoe!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Have you heard of putting a penny for the year in your shoe too for good luck?
    Posted by adktd2boots[/QUOTE]

<div>I haven't heard of the penny- just the sixpence. That's funny because I actually DID want to use a penny. I was walking back from finishing my qualifying exams (aced them!) when I saw a penny heads up on the gound- picked it up and it was my birth year! I thought that was pretty funny and I kept it for a while but unfortunately I lost track of it :( </div>

• There is this awesome jewler in Elmira, Ny. I am buying one for my sister and myself for our weddings. Especially since they are about 60 days from each other this year! If anyone need, I can get them and then send them to you! I can not wait to start getting all the little things. FI and I are going to pay off the venue this week, and then pay off the caterer.
  • My Mum is English & when she married my Dad she brought several sixpence over with her. She gve both my sister & I one when we got married and saved her last one for my DD to use! Traditionally all English brides marry with a sixpence in their shoe. For those who don't know here is a brief description of the meaning behind the something old, new, borrowed, blue.

“Something old” symbolizes continuity and connection with the bride's family and the past.

“Something new” means optimism and hope for the bride's new life ahead.

The "borrowed" item reminds the bride that she can depend on her friends and family. 

“Something blue:” In ancient Rome, brides wore blue to symbolize love, modesty, and fidelity. Before the late 19th century, blue was a popular color for wedding gowns, as evidenced in proverbs like, “Marry in blue, lover be true.”
    “A silver sixpence” in the bride's shoe represents wealth and financial security. It originates as a Scottish custom of a groom putting a silver coin under his foot.

• Grandfather gave my mom a sixpense on her wedding day to use and she still has it!  She has already offered to let me use it, which is extra special because I am so close with my grandfather and he is unable to travel to the wedding.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers

image 225 Invited so far!
    image 148 Are ready to party!
    image 77 Will be missing out!
    image 0 Are MIA!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_september-2012-weddings_sixpence-shoe?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:a464c18c-2e4d-469b-8eae-3865079cb9cfDiscussion:57de0e0a-bcd2-4049-a3be-a8d26ea28f87Post:52db11e2-6f61-4bb0-bde2-b9aba75a4bd1">Re: And a sixpence in your shoe!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Grandfather gave my mom a sixpense on her wedding day to use and she still has it!  She has already offered to let me use it, which is extra special because I am so close with my grandfather and he is unable to travel to the wedding.
    Posted by SCogs18[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>Aw, that's so nice!</div><div>
    </div><div>I do have one question though, I didn't pick out my shoe yet so I don't know exactly what kind I'm getting. What if it's strappy? lol How do I keep the sixpence in place? I'm literally just thinking about this right now. Tape? Glue? I guess if I lose it it's alright since it was only a dollar but I'd like to keep it as an heirloom.</div>

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards