July 2013 Weddings

Speaking of hair dye

Do any of you box dye or do you stick strictly to salon? For highlights I let the professionals handle it, but if I'm going to do an all over darker color I'd be more open to doing it on my own. Grab 2-3 boxes and go to town on my thick hair.

If you box dye, what brands work best for you?
Formerly known as flutterbride2b

Re: Speaking of hair dye

• edited July 2012
    I usually do my own haircolor, I use three colors (main color, highlights, and lowlights) and a special cap that lets you pull tiney sections through to color.  I usually just use whatever box dyes are on sale :)
  • WildMageletWildMagelet member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment First Answer
    edited July 2012
    where do you get this said cap?
  • It comes in l'Oreal highlight kit (it talks about it on the box).  I dye my hair the base color (dark brown), then use the cap to put in highlights (carmel-y), then wash the cap, and use it again with a darker brown from another box. It's gotten good results for me, but it takes a long time. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2013-weddings_speaking-of-hair-dye?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:a322ad2c-25cd-4d52-b123-096e1e4ecda5Discussion:28c88c4b-73c1-432d-bdca-4049b5ebd2fePost:8b261264-97c1-4fe9-b9bc-824041c2a70e">Re: Speaking of hair dye</a>:
    [QUOTE]It comes in l'Oreal highlight kit (it talks about it on the box).  I dye my hair the base color (dark brown), then use the cap to put in highlights (carmel-y), then wash the cap, and use it again with a darker brown from another box. It's gotten good results for me, but it takes a long time. 
    Posted by Gabrielle76[/QUOTE]

<div>Do you do it all in one night or do you spread it out over a few days?    I should hypothetically have the first 24 hrs of our vacation to myself, so that would be when I'd want to tackle it.</div>
  • I do it in one day, but it takes a few hours because you need to wash the dye out and dry your hair for each color. It usually takes me five to six hours, because pulling hair through all the tiny holes on the cap takes forever. I really like it though, because you end up with a three tone hair color for under 40 bucks. 
  • im fortunate my hair takes the cheap stuff.  i know some pple cant use it.  i go walmart and use the stuff $ 3 a box
  • In Response to Re:Speaking of hair dye:[QUOTE] It usually takes me five to six hours, .nbsp; Posted by Gabrielle76[/QUOTE]

Thats like a work day!! lol i rather just spend the extra 20 bucks and be done in 2 hrs. I love my stylist, Ive been going to her for years and couldn't imagine anyone else touching my head....it'd feel like cheating haha
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2013-weddings_speaking-of-hair-dye?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:a322ad2c-25cd-4d52-b123-096e1e4ecda5Discussion:28c88c4b-73c1-432d-bdca-4049b5ebd2fePost:a4aee759-0755-41b8-b8c8-a2cbff6913b6">Re:Speaking of hair dye</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re:Speaking of hair dye: Thats like a work day!! lol i rather just spend the extra 20 bucks and be done in 2 hrs. I love my stylist, Ive been going to her for years and couldn't imagine anyone else touching my head....it'd feel like cheating haha
    Posted by Getting2Vowels[/QUOTE]

I need to find your stylist :)

There's no way I could only spend $20 extra dollars by going to a salon :(  I have crazy thick hair.
  • I'm with you flutter, even color and one shade of highlights is usually $140 or more for me, and I've never had it take less than 4 hours at the salon, so I guess an extra two hours is worth saving $100 for me!
  • FWIW I love L'Oreal Excellence and Clairol Nice N Easy for how my hair takes the color and the condition of my hair afterwards.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I've done my hair with box dye countless times (using whatever brand is on sale). Like Gabbi, I've used the cap for highlights. I've had mostly good luck, although I haven't done it in a couple of years. 

I've never had my hair dyed professionally, although I want to get it professionally highlighted for our wedding since it's a bit mousey naturally, and it seems like the perfect occasion to splurge!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Life is good today.
  • meeee too, Flutter. i use 2 boxes of L'oreal, or garnier fructis - whichever's on sale! I hair is crazy mexican thick and dark. If i need highlights, I go to the salon, or have a friend do the kit for me...it's too hard to see it all myself! :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards