Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Church confusion!

Does any one know.......

If a Roman Catholic Church you are not a member of will let you be married there but will not provide a priest what do you do? 

Can a Priest from another church perform a ceremony in a church that is not theirs? It would still be Roman Catholic but not their usual one?

And if your usual Priest can not perform the ceremony than who do you ask? Deacon? Justice of the Peace?

This whole process is becoming very confusing to me. I am having a location wedding but would really love to be married in the church.

p.s. i am Roman Catholic

Thank you!!

Re: Church confusion!

• That's something you should ask the church that you'd like to be married in. Some will allow you to do the ceremony but only with their priest, some will allow you to bring your own priest but he has to work with the locations priest. Easiest way to find out is to call and ask the priest how thing work there.
  • Thats the thing. I know we can be married at the church but we cant use their priest so im not sure who you ask then. Since im not from the area all i can do is talk on the phone and they don't give out much info. The one church wouldn't even let me email them. I had to mail them a letter and what they mailed back didnt answer any questions it just confirmed the date is available. I dont know why this is so hard.Frown

Thank you or your advice though.
  • Only a priest or a deacon can perform a marriage in the Catholic church.  If you want the full mass, you need a priest.

It seems odd that the church would allow you to use their sanctuary but not their priest.  If that is the case, is there a deacon there?  Are you sure that this is an actual catholic church and not a chapel?  

Otherwise, you're going to have to bring a priest from somewhere, and they'll probably need permission from the local diocese if you bring them from home.  
  • It's definitely possible to bring in a priest from a different parish to perform the mass.  That's what we're doing.  It does require the permission of the church where you are getting married and some paperwork needs to be done.  I'm told it's a lot easier to arrange if the visitng priest is in the same diocese as the church the wedding is in, but it is also possible to bring in a priest from a different diocese as well. 
  • @ saraandrew2010 Thank you so much! That makes me feel a lot better that this will all workout. 
  • Just to clarify my earlier post about how I was able to bring in an outside priest to perform the ceremony.  The church where I'm getting married is my parents' parish that I grew up in, so it's not just a random church I found, which is probably one of the reasons they've been so accomodating.  We're bringing in a priest who is a close friend of FI's family and has married/baptised many of his relatives. 
  • Like Sara said.  It is allowable to have a priest conduct a wedding at a church other than where he usually preaches.

One of my BMs lives in FL and is getting married in a Catholic church there but is bringing her priest from her childhood church in Chicago to conduct the ceremony.
  • We were married in a church that we were non-parishoners of. We could have used the priest there, but we actually brought in our own priest from another church were we weren't parishoners. There wasn't any problem! We did pay a higher fee since we were not parishoners, but we knew that would be the case and weren't upset by it.

I'm curious - why is it that the church will not provide the priest? I've never heard of that before.

Either way, I'd call the priest at the church you are getting married in, ask him if he would perform the ceremony. If he won't (and I'd ask him why he wouldn't), ask him if he has any restrictions on you bringing in another priest and how you should go about locating one.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_church-confusion?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:10Discussion:97842cf1-9bdf-4a27-bfba-0f6613c28c8cPost:89321ee9-7471-41a8-8be8-100a3847ef13">Re: Church confusion!</a>:
    [QUOTE]We were married in a church that we were non-parishoners of. We could have used the priest there, but we actually brought in our own priest from another church were we weren't parishoners. There wasn't any problem! We did pay a higher fee since we were not parishoners, but we knew that would be the case and weren't upset by it. I'm curious - why is it that the church will not provide the priest? I've never heard of that before. Either way, I'd call the priest at the church you are getting married in, ask him if he would perform the ceremony. If he won't (and I'd ask him why he wouldn't), ask him if he has any restrictions on you bringing in another priest and how you should go about locating one.
    Posted by Riss91[/QUOTE]

This is excellent advice.
    M&E chose to be married on Cape Cod and chose a church  close to their venue that was perfect.  Perfect size, perfect decor, perfect pastor.

The bride's uncle is a deacon of the Catholic Church so he did the wedding, the pastor did the Nuptial Mass and two other priests (family ffiends) sat on the altar.
    The church charged only for their soloist/organist ($250) used or not used.  She was excellent and was accompanied by the flutist and trumpetor we hired.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards