Catholic Weddings

Where is everybody?

2»

Re: Where is everybody?

• Cay-lin?  even worse, he's a boy!  Cay-lin sounds girlish.

i also don't care for the "aden" names - Caden, Jaden, Braeden, Aiden, etc.  (with all the different spellings!) all very popular right now, just not my style.

Ginnifer Goodwin.  she must have been really annoyed growing up.  that's another odd name/spelling
  • TeaForMeTeaForMe member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited August 2012
     Re: names - We tried not to tell out little guy's name to anyone prior to his birth, but it didn't work. We named him after my grandpa. My grandma passed away when I was about 6 months pregnant and when I went to see her for what I knew was the last time, I wanted her to know we were naming him after grandpa (her husband). So then the cat was kind of out of the bag. I still felt weird referring to him by name or having others do so while in utero so I think we'll keep it to ourselves next time.

Also, when we told my grandma, I did so by saying, "well, Grandpa, what do you think about *your* name?"  His response "Well, it's alright, but I wouldn't pass it on to anyone." Whoops. But I think he's pretty proud of his namesake :)

As for finding out the sex ahead of time - I couldn't handle  not knowing!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Calypso -- I'm with you on the Braden/Caden/Jaden train!  However, I don't have a problem with Aiden, other than it's overdone right now.  But when I meet someone who's 25 years old named Aiden, I don't dislike the name.  Does that make sense at all?

• It makes perfect sense, Resa. I'm in 100% agreement with all of your (collective) naming sentiments. Then again, we will use saints' names for all of our children, and most of the rest of our choices are not super-popular. I think names should have some sort of religious/historical weight appropriate to the parents' background/beliefs/etc. Then, they should spell it correctly (or a "normal" way for names with several spellings that may depend on origin like Elizabeth/Elisabeth).
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • i must say im really shocked at the number of catholics, many of them who attend church regularly or semi-regularly who pick completely pagan/made-up names for their kids.    i remember at a baptism class i went to for one of my sister's kids there was a couple there who named their daughter Madison Shay.  The priest actually made some comment about whether or not a non-secular name had even been considered.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_where-is-everybody?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:f6a57ea4-1e9b-4d64-a544-e14cafea57dbPost:ebc2b4b2-0a26-439a-88bb-95a86c2fc30e">Re: Where is everybody?</a>:
    [QUOTE]i must say im really shocked at the number of catholics, many of them who attend church regularly or semi-regularly who pick completely pagan/made-up names for their kids.    i remember at a baptism class i went to for one of my sister's kids there was a couple there who named their daughter Madison Shay.  The priest actually made some comment about whether or not a non-secular name had even been considered.
    Posted by Calypso1977[/QUOTE]

I'm surprised by it, too. Our baptism class was the same way. There was a Raven whose mom was there. I get that God created all the creatures, including birds, but, just, no. The literary association between big, black ravens and evil would be enough to keep me far, far away from using it as a name. At least give the poor little one a Christian/Catholic middle name (Ann/e, Grace, Marie, Rose, etc.).
  • You know what name I hate?  Reagan.  Mostly because of the movie the Exorcist, but still.  I just hate it.  And Raven makes me think of Reagan, so I am opposed to that one as well!

This has led me to wonder -- who here has a saint name?  Who doesn't?  Do you wish you did/didn't?  Growing up, did you like your name?  What about now?

• i bet they were fans of Raven Simone!!! 
  • edited August 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_where-is-everybody?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:f6a57ea4-1e9b-4d64-a544-e14cafea57dbPost:e5fa42cb-bb7f-41b3-b5db-25644edf4e1a">Re: Where is everybody?</a>:
    [QUOTE]You know what name I hate?  Reagan.  Mostly because of the movie the Exorcist, but still.  I just hate it.  And Raven makes me think of Reagan, so I am opposed to that one as well! This has led me to wonder -- who here has a saint name?  Who doesn't?  Do you wish you did/didn't?  Growing up, did you like your name?  What about now?
    Posted by Resa77[/QUOTE]

<div>I know there is a saint with my name, but my parents aren't Catholic so I know I'm not named for her.  I'm not sure about my sister.</div><div>
    </div><div>I love my name a lot more, now.  Growing up I used to hate it because I really disliked the nickname "Mandy" and like EVERY girl named Amanda went by that.  I was also just a pretty weird kid, so I would "change" my name like every six months.  Now I feel like it's actually fairly unique -- I don't meet too many girls with my name anymore.</div><div>
    </div><div>ETA: My MIL went to a seminar given by a nun (who is apparently famous and travels to various parishes to give comedic speeches about the faith, but I can't remember her name) who called on a girl in the audience and asked her name.  When the girl said her name was Tiffany, the nun apparently asked, "And WHO is Saint TIFFANY?"</div>
    Anniversary

• I do not have a saint's name. I have a name that was trendy in the 80s and 90s, and was a boys' name used mainly in the South before that.

I have pretty much always hated my name. I guess like it okay now that I'm not surrounded by other people (and little girls) with my name, but I always wished I had a name with more history and international appeal. I always hated in foreign language classes when I ended up with some totally unrelated name because mine didn't translate. My parents' second choice was Julia, and I've always regretted not being Julia instead (but not enough to actually go by it or change my name or anything).

All of that said, like Prof, my parents weren't Catholic and gave me a somewhat "real" name -- just one I would never, ever choose for myself.
  • My name is a derivative of "Mary," which I really like, b/c it ties me to the BVM but I still get a unique name!
    Anniversary
  • My first name is not a saint's name, but my middle name is.  I don't believe my parents chose it for that reason, I'm pretty sure they just chose a name that they liked and that sounded nice with my first name.  I never thought one way or another about not having a saint's name, I really don't have a problem with Catholic parents naming their children non-religious names.

I've always liked my name - it's unique enough that I only know a few other people with it, but common/normal enough that people know how to spell or pronounce it. 

• I have a saint first name and a saint middle name.  I always hated my first name.  I don't think it suits me, it's too long, and people misspell it constantly.  I don't mind it as much now, and honestly it's my favorite saint so I would have picked it as my confirmation name.

I'm not as hardcore about naming children saint names, but I do think it's a good thing to do.  I just have some names I really love, and hey, maybe my daughter will be the first saint with that name.  You never know!  Any name I would pick that is not a saint name would be a family name. 

• Tiffany/Brittany/Whitney... those are on my hit list too.  LOL

• When I was little, I would have KILLED to have been named Whitney, Tiffany, Britney, Kelly, or Hillary.  Not saying I would like it now, but as a child of the 80s, I LOVED those names.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_where-is-everybody?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:f6a57ea4-1e9b-4d64-a544-e14cafea57dbPost:d65b132f-ba45-4681-9371-c68d3b828669">Re: Where is everybody?</a>:
    [QUOTE]When I was little, I would have KILLED to have been named Whitney, Tiffany, Britney, Kelly, or Hillary.  Not saying I would like it now, but as a child of the 80s, I LOVED those names.
    Posted by Resa77[/QUOTE]

those are HOOKER NAMES!

My first name is a combonation of my grandmother, great grandmother & mother's names but my middle name is Ann. (the mother of Mary) and my church has a "saints bone" of hers
  • edited August 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_where-is-everybody?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:f6a57ea4-1e9b-4d64-a544-e14cafea57dbPost:d65b132f-ba45-4681-9371-c68d3b828669">Re: Where is everybody?</a>:
    [QUOTE]When I was little, I would have KILLED to have been named Whitney, Tiffany, Britney, Kelly, or Hillary.  Not saying I would like it now, but as a child of the 80s, I LOVED those names.
    Posted by Resa77[/QUOTE]

My sister has one of those names and mine fits right in...ugg!

Interestingly enough, I recalled reading some background (in passing )on Tiffany awhile ago, and did some poking around. Turns out my memory of Tiffany being a Christian name afterall was correct. It actually comes from Theophania, the Greek work from which we get Epiphany, by way of the old French (Tifaine). It first came into use as a name for Jan. 6 (feast of the Epiphany) babies. Now, certainly, I doubt many (any?) modern parents have this connotation in mind when they choose the name, but I think it is interesting nonetheless (probably why I filed that away in the back of my mind when I read it before).
  • Biblio, that's really interesting!  I never would have guessed that!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards