Massachusetts-Boston

Indian/Bollywood Dancers

hey girls, so my FI is from Nepal and is super into Hindi music and Bollywood movies. I was thinking it would be really fun to hire some dancers to perform at the reception. The only problem is I don't really have any idea where to look and my google searches arent turning anything up either. if anyone has any suggestions of where to look, I'd really appreciate it! I'm going to post this on the South Asian board too, but figured the local one might be better!! Thanks!

Re: Indian/Bollywood Dancers

• edited December 2011
    Gigmasters.com might be worth a shot. (P.S. This sounds like an awesome idea!)
  • edited December 2011
    You might also check with local colleges who may have Indian/Bhangra/Bollywood dance performance groups.  I have friends who did this style of dance in college, and were pretty serious about it.  They went to competitions and stuff...

This is a pretty common element at Indian weddings I have attended.  The ones I have been to, it was guests who practicied and performed the dances though.
    imageimage BFP #1 7/2011 natural m/c at 11.5 weeks. BFP #2 3/2012 ectopic pg, MTX at 7.5 weeks. BFP #3 10/2012, EDD 6/24/2013 over the moon to be expecting our baby girl in June!
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for the suggestions! I briefly checked out gigmasters, but I think maybe I need to play around with it a little more...i just kept getting results ofor Hula dancers!! The colleges is also a great idea, my only question would be who do you think I contact at a college?? Hmmmm...
  • edited December 2011
    If the colleges have dance majors, you might want to start with a department chair or one of the professors. Or if the student organzations have one main webpage there might be contact info there, too.
  • edited December 2011
    very true! i'll call some places tomorrow. thanks :)
  • edited December 2011
    You're welcome! Let us know how it turns out! :o)
  • jkeprosjkepros member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have a good friend from college who is from India & used to do Indian dancing--she took classes & did performances.  I can ask her where she used to go or if she can recommend a group for you.
    Yay! Finally able to update my signature :)
    by Shannon Sorensen Photography
    My hubby & I rock the frock.
    Bio
  • edited December 2011
    I just noticed a yoga studio in brookline is now offering Bollywood classes.  Maybe try contacting the instructor?

Its listed on Mondays @7:30
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards