Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

But its on my birthday!

2»

Re: But its on my birthday!

• Options
    I'm sorry, but when you are 26, having your 10/10 birthday on THE day is just not important. Period.
  • Options
    salt78salt78 member
    First Comment
    Wedding > birthday. 
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    salt78salt78 member
    First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_but-its-birthday?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:a5d26733-0483-4c95-9518-580453206f71Post:2c328bc4-4e96-4f42-9b62-ede59df67477">Re: But its on my birthday!</a>:
    [QUOTE]It sounds and looks cool. 
    Posted by MISSCOURTNEY20[/QUOTE]

<div>This is the stupidest argument ever. </div>
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    If this chick is serious, I would suggest having the party on 10/9 (since 10/10 is a Sunday) and then at midnight have a big WOO HOO! It's 10/10/10!!! and be done with it. If she's turning 26, I would assume most of her friends are in the working world and probably wouldn't go all out on a Sunday for a birthday anyways. Some friends are probably in the WP, but oh well. That's the way the ball bounces.

And honestly, no one will care that it's 10/10/10 and it's also your birthday. Maybe if it was my BFF I'd be like "oh thats neat" and then be over it. Anyone else? Meh. Not really. 10/10 happens every year.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_but-its-birthday?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:a5d26733-0483-4c95-9518-580453206f71Post:11ef73be-42e9-4a75-b1eb-b7785d1db81d">Re: But its on my birthday!</a>:
    [QUOTE]What's wrong with throwing yourself a b-day party?  I know lots of people who do it.  They don't expect gifts (if that is the hang up) they just want people to come and celebrate with them. 
    Posted by mysticl[/QUOTE]
    Honestly? It's one thing to call up a bunch of friends and tell them when to meet up at the bar or Fridays or something, but she is
    <strong>" I had already started planning a big birthday bash for myself. "</strong>

That's ridiculous. That's the way 16 year olds should think, not 26 year olds.
  • Options
    I would go as far as to say its incredibley inappropriate to have a party at ANY time on the weekend of their wedding. A birthday lunch on the day of their wedding, are you crazy?!

I can't stand birthday divas! Everyone has a birthday. If your friends can celebrate with you, great, but if not its just another day. Your friend is getting married, get over yourself!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot!
  • Options
    Really, you're 26 and still care about having a big bash for your birthday?  Who cares.  Go to the wedding, you'll get to hang out with your friends there. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

2011 Reading Challenge

Jessica has read 16 books toward her goal of 150 books.
    hide
    "It's fine to have an open mind, just not so open your brains fall out."
  • Options
    Oh FFS, just have your birthday bash the next weekend, or weekend before.  You're 25, not 15, it's not a big deal to adults.  I never get to do anything fun on my actual birthday, even when it's on a weekend, cause no one wants to be hungover on Christmas and bars aren't open late.

Besides, I wouldn't want to do anything on a Sunday night, it's dead at the bars and I don't want to start the week hungover.  If your friends are having their wedding on the Sunday, chances are it's going to be a lunch or early dinner anyway, so your fantastic idea of having your birthday party before their wedding means it will have to be at the buttcrack of dawn, because I'm sure many people will be getting ready for the wedding.  That sounds like no fun at all.
  • Options
    If it was your 30th or another milestone birthday, I could see doing a party and having it be cool that is was 10/10/10.  But for your random 26th birthday?  Totally LAME. 

And yeah, while I do celebrate my birthday with dinner out or something, I would never throw myself a party. 

Doing a "26th birthday lunch" the afternoon of your friend's wedding is totally lame as well.  Be an adult and go to the wedding.  Caring so much about your birthday is really immature.
  • Options
    LD1970LD1970 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    The date 10/10/10 is irrelevant and silly, not special.  Know what's special?  My upcoming FORTIETH birthday, on July 28.  That's a Wednesday.  So you know when my party is?  July 25.

The date DOES NOT MATTER.
    You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough. ~Mae West
  • Options
    Wedding > Birthday.  That's it.  I like the idea of celebrating on the night before, and going "Wooo hooo" at midnight, if it's that cool for you.  Though this will only work if no one you want at your birthday party would be at the rehearsal dinner.

I've shared my birthday with Christmas time my whole life.  Even though my birthday is over a week before, Christmas parties, family commitments, etc. have always seemed to trump my birthday.  You just have to realize that your birthday isn't really special to anyone else, and be happy for the friends that make the special effort to be there to celebrate with you whenever you have it.  The nicest thing you can do for these awesome friends is have the party at a convenient time for your friends.

I can only imagine what will happen next year with all this date craziness.... 11/11/11... oh dear...

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    We found that no matter when we could have had our wedding, it was on somebody's birthday. Turns out the date we picked was my cousin's birthday. We had the DJ give her a shout out and a song dedicated to her, and she had a great time partying with our extended family. (How often is there open bar on your birthday?!) Say something to your friend about how psyched you are that your birthday is on their wedding day, and that you'll get to see all your mutual friends. You can also mention that you''ll never forget their anniversary, and maybe you'll get a birthday shout out too.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    birthdays come every year. weddings are (usually) a once in a lifetime event. bigfuckingdeal, you're about to be 26. I'm 26, it's nothing special. birthday parties after the age of 21 aren't really all that cool anyway, unless they're milestones (30, 40, 50, 75). postpone your birthday bash.

Glenna Harding Photography
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_but-its-birthday?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:a5d26733-0483-4c95-9518-580453206f71Post:a1d90fcd-e852-44a2-b5af-b90474d30dd6">Re: But its on my birthday!</a>:

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_but-its-birthday?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:a5d26733-0483-4c95-9518-580453206f71Post:e259e7bd-2817-44b8-8bbd-74b658e8c08a">Re: But its on my birthday!</a>:
    [QUOTE]If this chick is serious, I would suggest having the party on 10/9 (since 10/10 is a Sunday) and then at midnight have a big WOO HOO! It's 10/10/10!!! and be done with it. Posted by Birdie1483[/QUOTE]

if you have to do something, this is actually a decent compromise, assuming your BF and yourself are not involved in the wedding. but seriously, don't make a big fuss about your birthday at the wedding. don't steal her day- you wouldn't want anyone stealing yours.

[QUOTE]I've shared my birthday with Christmas time my whole life.  Even though my birthday is over a week before, Christmas parties, family commitments, etc. have always seemed to trump my birthday. 
    Posted by catemeg[/QUOTE]

i was going to say this myself actually. i share my birthday with Christmas every year. right on the very day. do i care? no. even though Christmas is a "special" date, that's my birthday and i can just know that i'm a year older. and then celebrate another day that's more convenient for the people i want to share it with. it isn't a big deal at all.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_but-its-birthday?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:a5d26733-0483-4c95-9518-580453206f71Post:628a9f89-08d8-4a31-95d8-65fad8602a03">Re: But its on my birthday!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to But its on my birthday! : You can have the party another day, if it's important to you to have a big bash. I can't remember the last time I celebrated my birthday on my actual birthday. Life gets in the way sometimes.
    Posted by opalsky007[/QUOTE]

This.  My birthday was in March, and we didn't do my party till a few weeks ago.  Things happen.
    Mom to a beautiful boy and girl!
  • Options
    Unless you're turning 10, I don't think it matters if you celebrate on your actual birthday. If it were your Golden Birthday, turning 10 on 10/10/10 would be pretty cool...for a 10 year old.
    imageimage
  • Options
    I'm actually throwing myself a birthday party this year...but let me clarify.  I teach a 2-8 yr old Sunday School class and my bday happens to fall on a Sunday (next week), so I thought it would be fun to have a party with "my kids" - the only adults that will be there are my parents and BF - no gifts, they can bring food for our food pantry if they insist on a gift.

But I do agree with everyone else, don't throw yourself a birthday party and expect your friends to choose between your party and a wedding.  That's only going to cause hurt feelings and risk friendships being lost.  If a lot of your friends are out of town and will only be there for the weekend of the wedding, have a get together the day before - I'm sure a lot of your friends would love the excuse to party 2x in one weekend.

This year will be the 1st time in who knows how long that I will actually get to "celebrate" my birthday on my actual birthday.  My dad's birthday is exactly 2 weeks before mine and more often than not, my mom takes the 2 of us out for dinner the week between our birthdays.  It doesn't matter what day we celebrate.

Last year my great aunt celebrated her 100th birthday.  We all had to work on her birthday so we celebrated the following Saturday.  It didn't matter that it wasn't on her birthday, the day was just as special because we spent time with her.
  • Options
    Haven't we seen this one before? The 26th birthday and "they're using MY day" parts sound awfully familiar.

OP, I think you're putting way too much self-importance into the numbers (e.g., 10/10/10). You've said yourself that it's not a significant birthday year for you, so just do the nice thing and reschedule your celebration this year. Weddings (ideally) happen once in a lifetime, but you'll have a birthday every year, come rain or come shine.

Taco cat: Always a palindrome. ALWAYS, okay J&K?

"cool......insult my size 2 body or my natural brown hair...or the fact that my parents own a country club, I have no budget for a wedding, and I have horses. I really dont care. Its better then having roots." ~ futurepivko
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards