New York-Hudson Valley

Confused about venues

Hey ladies! So my fiance and I are planning on getting married somewhere in upstate NY. We want a venue that has beautiful views of the fall folliage for an outside ceremony. I was wondering if anyone had any ides on some venues. Thank you.

Re: Confused about venues

• edited December 2011
    If you're looking for the Rockland County area, I would say The Clubhouse at Patriot Hills. I would recommend you check it out asap so you can see what it looks like in the fall. It's beautiful there. :)
    Photobucket Pregnancy Ticker imageimageimage
  • edited December 2011
    Can you specify what you mean by "upstate"? Some people think Rockland and Westchester are upstate, and others think Albany is upstate.

I ended up booking New York Country Club and I'm very excited about it. It's has beautiful views of the hills, valleys and trees and in a clear day you can see the NYC skyline in the distance. They also have a completely covered, large patio area so even if it rains you can go outside. It's in Rockland County.

www.nycountryclub.com

I also recommend Round Hill House, Bear Mountain State Park and Catlin Gardens. These are all in Orange County I believe.
  • probablykateprobablykate member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yeah it would help to know more specific than upstate ny.

I'm getting married at The Grandview in Poughkeepsie and they have a great fall foliage view but if you are looking at 2011 they were mostly booked for next fall when I booked with them in Sept.

For foliage I also looked at Dutchess Manor in Beacon and Mohonk Mountain House near New Paltz
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • jeanna85jeanna85 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    ditto PPs. I grew up in Rockland but only 20 min from Manhattan so I don't consider that upstate, whereas where I live now for school (Albany) I consider upstate. Care to clarify?
    Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    Yeah, like pp's said "upstate" can be determined differently. I think of Albany and points north and West of that as upstate, but city folk think Putnam is. and like said above, some even think Westchester and Rockland.

Especially, since you are from LI. This board covers Rockland, Orange, Ulster, Westchester. Putnam and Dutchess.

There is an "upstate" board that is mostly Albany / Saratoga girls.

Where abouts (geographically) are you thinking about having your wedding?
  • edited December 2011
    Hey girls. Well since im from Long Island I consider anything north of the city upstate lol, so I guess i should have been more clear. But there is no specific area we are set on. So I am trying to just find venues all over and then decide on the part of NY. We are really making our decsion based on a venue. If we like something in Westchester then thats where we will have it or if we like Lake Placid it's gonna be there. Our wedding is gonna be in October 2012 so I know I have a lot of time but I want to make sure we can get the day we picked and I also like to plan early.

I loved the Mohonk Mountain house but they only did evening weddings for 75 or less guests and our list is double that. I was really bummed cause that was our first choice. I also looked at Caitlin Gardens and I felt like it's more of a garden feel than a mountain fall theme. It was really pretty tho, I just dont know if it's exactly what im looking for. Im def going to have a to peak at the NY Country Club, the Dutchess Manor, and the Pariot Hills.
  • edited December 2011
    The Sagamore in Bolton Landing (near Lake George) is absolutely beautiful
  • probablykateprobablykate member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I looked at the Dutchess Manor and I personally wasn't a huge fan of their decor indoors, and their view wasn't as nice as The Grandview (there's some large/industrial buildings across the river from Dutchess Manor that break up the view).  But the owner seemed really nice and accomodating, so it's worth checking out. 

Another nice thing about The Grandview is that it's very close to the Poughkeepsie train station so if you have guests coming from Long Island/NYC they can take Metro-North up and not worry about driving.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Im having mine at the Eagles Nest in Bloomingburg NY. The view is amazing the room itself is a smaller/medium venue and more of a traditional feel but really the food is AMAZING!!! and Michael the owner is very accomodating and helpful. I have had many functions here and so has my brother... They are also not that expensive either bc almost everything is included, cake and open bar (top shelf)
  • phoebe77phoebe77 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Check out Shadow Lawn in High Falls, it's near Mohonk.
  • woodfrogswoodfrogs member
    First Comment First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Mohonk does day weddings for larger groups,
    http://www.mohonk.com/weddings/weddings.cfm

it's only the evening weddings that are smaller.
    We found it to be wonderful to have time after the reception for more pictures, and we changed and took a long walk. We encouraged our guests to bring a change of clothes and walk or hike afterward.
  • edited December 2011
    coloniial terrace in cortlandt manor has unbelieveable fall views and has lots of outdoor cereomy space.  packages are reasonable
  • Woodsy62Woodsy62 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I hear The Garrison is very nice, Garrison NY and Hollow Brook Country Club has beautiful views of the mountains and trees its in Cortlandt Manor NY I believe.

• edited December 2011
    There are so many venues in the area!

Check out these websites to get a good idea of the variety:

www.hudsonvalleyweddings.com

http://www.weddingsitesandservices.com/New_York/ReceptionSites/Bronx_Westchester_Rockland.html

and the knot's page at:
    http://www.theknot.com/Vendors/Hudson-Valley-Wedding-Venues/Profiles/CAR/074

We had our reception at Putnam National Golf Club (Jean Jacques is the caterer)  and we had a fabulous time!

Now that we know you are open to the area of your wedding, what type of venue are you looking for?

traditional catering hall?
    golf / country club?
    everything at a hotel?
    something more unique?
  • prshelleyprshelley member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have looked at all the venues mentioned, I think we saw almost 20 in total. I also was looking in Rockland, Orange and Westchester counties...The NY country club was one of my top pics until I saw the Glen Island Harbour Club in New Rochelle, where we just booked our wedding last night!! I think you have a lot of options...but how many guest are you looking to have because that will help narrow down your choices.  For me, we have over 200 people so the smaller dance floor at NY CC was one of the things I wasn't happy with. I also like Falkirk Estate in Woodbury which is beautiful in the fall...The grandview in Poughkeepsie is amazing, however we were set on New years eve and they have their own event and wouldnt give it up for a wedding. What type of venue are you looking for? Country Club? Traditional? Modern? Unique?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Wow.. soo many ideas. As far as the Mohonk Moutain place, we dont want a day wedding. We thought about it but we figured there are soo many other places we shouldn't sacrafice what we really want.

We are looking at about 165 guests for our reception. I want to try avoid a country club feel because for that I can just do it on Long Island bc most of the places are cc for weddings. I want a feel of being in mountains, esp for our ceremony bc I want to have it outside. Thats why the views are so important to me. As far as the venue for the reception, I want it to be different looking instead of the typical halls. So i guess I want to go with something a little unique.

I took down all the names of the places you girls mentioned and Im def gonna check them out.
  • edited December 2011
    If you want rustic and historic, go for a barn!

• carolsdaycarolsday member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Hi there,

Also check out the Villa Barone Hilltop Manor in Mahopac,  You Can't BEAT their views and picture opportunities .  check out the website VillaBaroneHilltop.com

Good Luck!

• edited December 2011
    I got married at The Garrison and the views were gorgeous
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Hi Everyone, I am recently engaged and loving the message boards....so much fun and fantastic information and feedback.  I recently went to the Falkirk Estate and Country Club in Orange County, it's near the Woodbury Commons Shopping and was really impressed, it was beautiful, they recently undergone renovations...I was there for a wedding a few years ago and it needed some help and I was VERY impressed when I walked in the door, the staff was super nice.  The price point was really good they range from $110. pp to $140. per person for 2011 Saturday evenings depending on what menu you choose.  The website does not do this place any justice....It's a must see!  This place is on the top of my list....We are looking at more venues in the area as well and in Rockland to compare before booking....Having soooo much fun!  Congrats everyone!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards