Wisconsin

Budget Friendly in Milwaukee

Hello!

I am trying to put together a pretty, city wedding, on a budget.  We live right downtown and so do the majority of our friends so it just makes sense that our wedding would be down here.  We don't have tons of $ to spend.... we're hoping (praying rather...) in the $4000-$5000 range for food and venue.  Cheaper is better.

Any suggestions?  We're open to anything!

Re: Budget Friendly in Milwaukee

• edited December 2011
    Look into a Friday wedding, or as off-season date

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • varsity714varsity714 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    How many do you plan on inviting?
  • edited December 2011
    I'm getting married next August downtown as well and fould a great budget friendly photographer who does really creative work. (Actually I booked her because in her portfolio she did an awesome wedding in downtown Chicago).

Her site is www.katietomanphotography.com
  • edited December 2011
    $4000 to $5000 is pretty tough to do Downtown in Milwaukee unless you have a small guest list (like 50 or less) or have it in the off season like Jan./Feb.  That's when things are REALLY slow Downtown and they would be happy for business.

Regular season weddings Downtown start at $10,000, just for the minimum.  There are some unique places like the Historical society, but you'd have to bring in a caterer/chairs/tables.  A county park might work too if you want it during the warm months.

Good luck!!!

142 Ready To Celebrate! image

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I agree with the PP. Or try a Sunday date and/or off season.

We are getting married at the War Memorial (Saturday) October 30. We are having about 100 people, I am doing a ton of DIY stuff including the invites and our budget is at about 12K and seems to be creeping higher. Good luck :o)
  • mrsnkernermrsnkerner member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I live downtown as well and the budget for my entire wedding is 7000.00.  I wanted to invited 120 to 140 guests.  A downtown wedding just wasn't going to happen for me with that amount of people.  Try looking at some of the more suburban parts outside of downtown.  I found a place in greenfield that is just my taste for $4000.00 for the hall, food, servers, booze, taxes, and service charges.  Its just a 25 min drive from downtown and 20 mins from the airport.  

If you are only having like 50 guests then renting a restaurant for the night might be a good idea for you.

Just something to look into.
  • edited December 2011

I also agree with Portia.  A downtown wedding is really expensive.  I'm getting married downtown on a Saturday, and the food and venue rental alone for 175 guests is $12,000.  You would get much more for your dollar by expanding your search or cutting your guest list to around 50 people. 

With a smaller guest list, the Hotel Metro might work.  When we were thinking small, we looked there.  The food was good, but the event manager left something to be desired.  All of my family felt he was rude.

Good Luck in your search.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Wow @mrsnkerner! Sounds like my kind of budget. I got engaged less than two weeks ago and am open to any and ALL suggestions for budget venues/catering. What place in Greenfield did you find?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • TwoNixTwoNix member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi! I don't post very often here, but have gotten some great advice from this forum, so I thought I'd contribute.

My guy and I are planning a $4,000 wedding AND it will be downtown. We are anticipating about 60 guests and having the ceremony and reception at Brocach (pronounced bro-cah, kind of like mocha). There is NO fee for using their space, they are so flexible with their very affordable menu options--even allowing you to take advantage of their happy hour special prices!!--and have been NOTHING but forthcoming and accomodating! We are currently living in Korea, so while we have not actually been to Brocach yet, we have pics that family members have taken and are more than excited about the upstairs and the private patio. The chef's name is Andy (andy@brocach.com) and he's the one we've been corresponding with. Definitely check him out.

Our photographer has been equally fabulous with customer service: Casey from Chasing Lilies Photography in Madison. She has been outstanding. Her packages are just beyond what we wanted to spend, so we're spending $1k and having her for 5 hours (that includes color-corrected & retouched digital images AND the rights to print them where ever we want).

We're doing iPod playlists for music, and my cousin is going to do the videography.
    I hope that helped you a little bit. I've also seen some talk of having their events catered by Outpost or Beans and Barley. Great food--could be two lower-priced options to check out. PM me if you'd like more info. Good luck--it CAN be done!!!

Oh, one option we were considering but was just beyond our budget was the Roots Cellar up on Brewer's Hill. Incredible space for a small event, amazing food, very helpful planner. For a Sunday in any month other than June, July or August, the minimum is $3k.
  • mrsnkernermrsnkerner member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    @noonandj - Klemmer Banquet Center on Oklahoma.  We did get a discount for booking a year in advance though just an FYI.  They are wonderful there though!
  • preciosa4preciosa4 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Clarion near the airport...
  • edited December 2011
    I've been looking for budget/more affordable venues as well.  The ones I've come across in SE Wisconsin are:
    Milwaukee County Parks
    Pulaski Inn
    Broadlands Golf Club
    Western Lakes Golf Club (great off-season promos)
  • Jami86eJami86e member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    so i know this isn't about venues, but i know of a budget wedding videographer who will do the whole package for around $600

Visit Jewish.weddings.com Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    My Sunday downtown (Coast) wedding still cost $20,000.  Sure, the venue was cheap, but I still had to feed 200 people.

Have you thought about the South Shore Pavilion?  That is beautiful and I heard rental and catering is reasonable, and you can have the ceremony right on the beach.  I was there in July for a BBQ and there was a wedding going on, and it looked lovely.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards