Maine

Emergency..help me keep my cool please!

Apparently when FI asked his uncle if we could have our wedding at their house he didn't clarify that we were asking for the ceremony and reception. This whole time we've been assuming and planning for everything being held there, and they've thought we were doing the ceremony only. After talking with their lawyer they've decided it's too much of a liability to have the reception on their property..completely understandable and it's all due to miscommunication, but AHHHHH $!?&$!$ !!!!!! They're fine with the wedding taking place on their beach, but now we need to find a place for the reception and we have the tent, tables, chairs, etc all rented.

Long shot, but anyone know of an area in close proximity to harpswell where we could pitch a tent? I'm almost open to moving it all, since at this point everyone would have to drive to the end of Cundy's harbor and then back to wherever we find. Help please!!

Re: Emergency..help me keep my cool please!

• hcorr34hcorr34 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh my god Britt, I can't believe you have to deal with this!  I would definitely be in major freak out mode if I had to relocate and already have everything paid for!  I'm drawing a blank right now on places that have you bring all your own rentals, but I will continue to think!

Question - How does food factor into it all?  Did you already have a caterer too? 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • hcorr34hcorr34 member
    edited December 2011
    What about Thomas Point Beach?

This place also makes you bring your own rentals: http://www.commontable.com/weddings.htm
  • britthall06britthall06 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Those are awesome suggestions! We're going to have to have a serious talk about whether to still have the ceremony there. It's about 15 minutes from cooks corner and on the other side of Harpswell, so most of our options are still about 30 minutes away. We'll see if we can come to an agreement..haha thanks Holly!
  • edited December 2011
    What about buying liability insurance (general liability and liquor liability) for the event?  I am renting a private home and this is what they required.  There is a million dollar limit and I think it cost about $350.  It will be in your name and you can name them as additional insureds so they would be protected too.  You should ask if this would make them feel better.
    Married 9.4.11
  • plato79plato79 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_maine_emergencyhelp-keep-cool-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:98Discussion:e7ffbf1b-d108-495b-b707-88ad55542ff5Post:f84b9328-52a7-4093-b9ef-4cdd1dc79e1a">Re: Emergency..help me keep my cool please!</a>:
    [QUOTE]What about buying liability insurance (general liability and liquor liability) for the event?  I am renting a private home and this is what they required.  There is a million dollar limit and I think it cost about $350.  It will be in your name and you can name them as additional insureds so they would be protected too.  You should ask if this would make them feel better.
    Posted by chrispygal[/QUOTE]

<div>This is what I would also suggest. Just please be very sure to READ the whole policy. It will be boring, it will be confusing, but it's unexplainably important that you know what is covered and what's not. It there's something you still need covered, you might be able to negotiate and add on what's called a policy rider to include such specific other events. You might want to hire/consult with an attorney about the policy to get what you need (though this is probably not necessary). </div><div>
    </div><div>Good luck. I hope it all works out for you!</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker June 3, 2011!
  • edited December 2011
    Good advice Plato!  I probably should have mentioned that I got my policy from WedSafe.  You can get a price right online.
    Married 9.4.11
  • amshaw1amshaw1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I second Thomas Point Beach - beware of tide times though cuz I have been there at low tide and its just a mud puddle.

Also - Driftwood Inn might be worth checking, but may be booked and does cost $1500.  But it's pretty at least, and on Bailey Island so not far.
  • edited December 2011
    We need to do the liability insurance where we are getting married (Lenards Mills, Bradley). It is only 150 through my fiance's insurance.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary BabyFruit Ticker
  • hcorr34hcorr34 member
    edited December 2011
    Brittany - Where did you end up?  I just saw in the other thread that you've gone indoors!
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    At the Taste of Maine :/ Definitely really nice, it just took me a while to get over the loss of our laid back beach wedding and all the originality that came with it. I have to keep tellling myself over and over that it will be great and not like everyone else's prom and weddings that we've all had there! Thanks for all the great suggestions, it was just easier to move it inside.
  • hcorr34hcorr34 member
    edited December 2011
    I'm happy to hear you found a place!  And you can totally make it your own!  We're having our reception in a ballroom but we have a lot of elements that are "us"!  Good luck with your new line of planning!  At least you don't have to worry as much about weather!
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks Holly! They said as of right now there's nobody else in there all week so we could decorate as much and as often as we want! My mom explained the situation to them and they were completely understanding and accommodating, my cousin dates their daughter so we all know each other really well. Zac doesn't want to turn down the offer to still have the wedding at his uncle's, we're going to shoot for that but I think with our luck it'll rain. :P
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards