• Images
  • Text
  • Find a Couple + Registry
GO
September 2010 Weddings

reasons guests can't make it to the wedding...

So I am guessing some of you must have gotten some interesting responses from people as to why they won't be able to make it... so I am curious, what is the "best" excuse you've heard so far??

Mine?

One of my good friends can't come because that weekend is the only one that worked to schedule her boob job. *face/palm* Just had to smile and laugh at that one... :) 
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: reasons guests can't make it to the wedding...

• edited August 2010
    Heh.  That's a funny one.

I haven't gotten any like that, but one of my good friends from college can't come because her DH is a cop in NYC and can't get anyone to take his shifts for the weekend.  That one was a bummer. :-(  I totally thought cops got weekends off, too!  Ha ha
    Vacation

Vacation
  • edited August 2010
    "Someone has to stay behind to take care of the rabbits."

Seriously?  You're going to be gone ONE NIGHT, and they live in cages.  A neighbor can't come check on them?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Because it's bear hunting season up north, this coming from my godmother...really??? WOW!
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: reasons guests can't make it to the wedding...:
    [QUOTE]"Someone has to stay behind to take care of the rabbits." Seriously?  You're going to be gone ONE NIGHT, and they live in cages.  A neighbor can't come chack on them?
    Posted by LauraT25[/QUOTE]

Wow.... Are the assistants to the Easter Rabbit or something?? Those must be some dang special rabbits... ;)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • They have two rabbits, and I wouldn't say there's anything special about them but my dad has an entire FB album devoted to them so I guess he thinks differently!
  • HAHAHAHAHAHA laura im sorry but i am choking on my water over that one hahahaha
  • It makes me laugh too, Lia.  It's so bizarre I don't even know what to say.  I think they really just didn't want to pay for a plane ticket for my stepmom, which I understand, but REALLY?  Rabbits?
  • No matter what anyone else says from this point forward, the rabbit excuse wins.

• edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: reasons guests can't make it to the wedding...:
    [QUOTE]No matter what anyone else says from this point forward, the rabbit excuse wins.
    Posted by stephaniem1977[/QUOTE]

Yay!  I win something finally!

Edit: I confess, the OP is my AE, I made it up just so I could ask this question and then tell my awesome rabbit RSVP story. 
    (j/k, in case you weren't sure)
  • We haven't had any reasonings to go with our "nos." Although one of my 5 cousins (from one family) isn't coming. And we think it's because we didnt give her a guest. We only gave one of the 5 cousins a guest...the oldest of the 5 who is living with his girlfriend. This cousin is 26, has a 1 year old daughter, and lives at home. As far as we know she's single and doesn;t have any relationship with the kids dad. Well turns out when they got the invite which just listed the cousins names..my uncle called my GRANDMOTHER to ask if said cousin gets a guest. My grandmother said she would assume no, but wasnt positive so he should call me or my mom. He did neither and the cousin RSVP's no. My mom and grandmother are pissed. Thats our only rsvp drama thus far.
    Nine-Ten Siggy Challenge: Favorite Picture of FI and Me!
    image image

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    204image 138image 41image 25image RSVP August 18

• Oh, the rabbit one made me cry....that is too funny.
    My wedding Bio My baking Blog View from Le'ahi Diamond Head image
  • At my shower this weekend, one of FMILs friends came up to me and said she was so sorry her son couldn't come to the wedding.  I had to bite my tongue to keep from saying, 'Good, since he wasn't invited.  If he was, his name would have been on the invitation.'
  • The rabbit one is priceless, FI aunt is not coming to the ceremony but is coming to the reception becasue she can't leave the horses that long. 

The other good one was from FI uncle/aunt written on the back of the rsvp card.  We will not be attending because you picked the busy travel weekend of the year.  Seriously we picked Labor Day weekend, and your retired you have nothing you have to travel back for on Monday. 
    Photobucket
  • We had two older women both say that they can't come because they 'don't drive on major highways anymore'.  The tone of the whole note sounded a bit accusatory, like we picked a venue too far away.  But whatever.
  • OMG Laura you have some winners.
  • In Response to Re: reasons guests can't make it to the wedding...:
    [QUOTE]OMG Laura you have some winners.
    Posted by stephaniem1977[/QUOTE]

Yes, all of our declines felt obligated to attach a note of explanation.  Except the rabbit one, my sister did some detective work to get that excuse since I was wondering why my dad was coming without his wife.
  • In Response to Re: reasons guests can't make it to the wedding...:
    [QUOTE]We had two older women both say that they can't come because they 'don't drive on major highways anymore'.  The tone of the whole note sounded a bit accusatory, like we picked a venue too far away.  But whatever.
    Posted by LauraT25[/QUOTE]

Reminds me of FI's grandma.  She told me "I really wish your wedding were closer so I could come."  Well, she didn't make FSIL's wedding, which was about an 1 - 1.5 hrs by car, so how in the hell would she make mine?  Unless we had it at her nursing home??
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image 183 Invited image 99 Confirmed image 84 Regrets RSVP Date: August 20th
  • The only explanation we've gotten with a no was that a couple is standing up in another wedding that day. The pastor of our church (not our officiant) also RSVP'd no, but I'm fairly sure that it's because he and his wife will already be in Canada preparing for their son's wedding which is a week after ours.
    Me: 26 DH: 32
    TTC since 08/2010
    Anovulatory since at least 12/2010 (probably longer, unDx)
    Dx PCOS 3/2012
    SA 5/25/12--normal
    June 2012--50mg clomid+TI--BFN
    July 2012--50mg clomid+Ovidrel+TI--BFN, lining at 5mm
    August 2012--5mg femara+Ovidrel+TI
  • Mine's not funny...my Aunt and Uncle will be coming home from Aruba that night celebrating their anniversary. Their son (my age) has other plans. I was surprised to hear my cousin who works for a medical shipping plant and drinks beer on the weekends would already have plans...but I'm assuming he doesn't want to come without his parents.

Two cousins can't come cuz they'll be at school. I figured there might be a few problems there, but I invited in case they actually wanted to come home for it.

• I have a whole family (Aunt and Uncle and all of their 5 children) not coming because I refuse to let 3 of them bring their boyfriends of the moment to the dinner. I told them they could bring them to the reception, but they all declined and said they wouldn't be coming to anything. I think the longest relationship between those three is 3 months...  Are they really that important to miss your first cousins wedding? Oh well...

[url=http://www.thenest.com/?utm_source=ticker&utm_medium=UBB&utm_campaign=tickers][img]http://global.thenest.com/tickers/tt12786f.aspx[/img][/url]
  • My father is not cominig because my mother will be there.

They have separated for 8 years, divorced for 4 years; and he still gets so irritated by her that he won't even show up to my wedding. Unbelievable.
  • One of FI's work friends isn't coming because there's a Dave Matthews concert.

Apaprently he follows the band around whenever/wherever they are in New England - and he "won't miss Dave Matthews for ANYTHING."
  • One of our RSVP cards came back saying something about they can't come because they have arthritis and can't travel anymore. :-P
  • My best decline answer was for the shower...my nephew's wife was furious that my MOH scheduled my shower for last weekend on Saturday because their daughter turned 13 and it's a special birthday and they were planning to have her birthday party (family cookout) that day...her birthday was Aug 2nd...so I suggested they have it the day before her birthday on a Sunday or 2 days before and she said "they NEVER have birthday parties before the birthday".  Then the niece decided she was going to go away with a friend last weekend, so they had to reschedule for the 13th! Lmao!

Most of our No's are because of $$ or kids in school etc...it's a destination wedding and 12 hours away from most of us...
    Although 1 friend did tell me her BF wouldn't make it because he never misses an Ohio State game...LOL  They don't have tvs in NC!???  Haha 
    Love the rabbits, that is definitely going to win!!
    So Happily Married to the Love of my Life! Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Oh yes-great uncle is not attending cause he said it feels too formal to wear his overalls.  Are you serious? Yes your right it is a little more formal than overalls.
  • haha these are great.  i have nothing.  people just say no, which is fine with me!
  • We didn't get an official no (and better not) from my grandmother, but when I told her the wedding date 8 months in advance she said she wasn't sure if she'd be able to make it.  My grandmother is 85 years old and the only thing on her calendar is doctor appointments.  And she and my grandfather will drive 20 hours to freaking Alabama to visit friends of theirs for special birthdays, but can't drive an hour to see their granddaughter get married?  Whatever, crazy lady.

I like the boob job story.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker For two people in a marriage to live together day after day is unquestionably the one miracle the Vatican has overlooked. PersonalMilestone
  • I thought I had nothing to contribute but I just got one.

A friend rsvped no and didn't say why.  Another mutual friend said it was because he doesn't want his dad to have to drop him off (serves him right for getting a DUI)....but still!   I lol-ed.
    TTC since 2010
    Me: 36, slightly elevated FSH. Everything else (hysterescopy, HSG, b/w) normal.
    DH:30, with super sperm? >200mil post wash
    BFP #1 - May 2011 - m/c @ 8weeks
    IUI #1 - July 26 2012 - Femara = BFN
    Suprise BFP Jan 15 2013. Hope this one sticks!
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards