Catholic Weddings

Invitation wording for a Sunday wedding

My Fiance and I will be getting married on a Sunday, so the traditional Latin Mass will be a regular sunday Mass with the nuptial blessing included. What is the best way to word it, so that our guests know they will be fulfilling their Sunday obligation?

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Invitation wording for a Sunday wedding

• Will it be part of a regular Sunday mass, or is it an extra mass on Sunday (like in the afternoon?) for you and your guests?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • just list nuptial mass on your invites.  catholics will know if they attend a mass on a sunday that it will fulfull their obligation.
  • It isn't a nuptual mass though. It's a Sunday mass. We can't do a Nuptual Mass on a Sunday because we're obligated to do what is required on Sunday. The Nuptual blessing will take place within the Sunday mass.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • OK, but is your ceremony occurring during one of the masses that your church holds every Sunday, or is it separate? If it's separate, I don't think it matters for the sake of the invitations that the readings and such are the Sunday readings, nuptial mass gets the point across that there will be a mass.

If you're being married during the parish's regular mass, I have no idea how you indicate that to guests, but you can definitely leave off nuptial if it makes you feel better.

• Hm... I am not really sure how you would do this, since anyone in attendance at that particular mass with be witnessing your wedding.  Maybe you can ask the church if they have any advice for how to word your invitations?  I assume they are going to reserve a section of your seats for your guests?
    Anniversary

• It is a seperate mass just for us. It's just that a "Nuptual Mass" (with wedding readings, etc) cannot happen on a Sunday, so we're getting the readings for that specific day.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Oh.  I would have to agree with Calypso, then.  Just word it like a normal invitation, and your Catholic guests should know it fulfills their obligation.
    Anniversary

• Ditto others. If it is on a Sunday, but not a "nuptial mass" just say "mass" instead of nuptial mass in whatever invitation wording you choose. If you want to ensure that Catholics know that it will fulfill their Sunday obligation, I would spread the info by word of mouth, on your wedding website, etc., rather than putting it directly on the invitation.
  • i guess i would just put the celebtration of the mass, rather than the celebration of hte nuptial mass.
  • I could be wrong, but I don't think "nuptial mass" means solely that you pick readings. I think its a mass the intention of the priest is for your marriage. So your mass could still be a nuptial mass, even though its a Sunday solemnity. Check with the priest. 
  • That's what I thought, too, Carrie. I didn't have anything to back up my thoughts, so I decided not to mention it.

OP -- either way, saying "mass" on your invitation should be adequate. It alerts your guests to the longer service, that they should fast if they are Catholic, etc. -- all the reasons a person would want to include it on the invitation anyway.
  • Thank you! I'll probably just mention it's a traditional Latin mass then, so the guests know what they're in for. :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_invitation-wording-for-a-sunday-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:7d20bb88-4c09-4eda-b025-e33d309fc2a0Post:d74c3cc0-04c6-48c4-add2-708a99f20a6c">Re: Invitation wording for a Sunday wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]I could be wrong, but I don't think "nuptial mass" means solely that you pick readings. I think its a mass the intention of the priest is for your marriage. So your mass could still be a nuptial mass, even though its a Sunday solemnity. Check with the priest. 
    Posted by agapecarrie[/QUOTE]

I think this is true for the OF, but I believe that in the EF "Nuptial Mass" does indeed imply certain readings, propers, etc--not chosen by the couple but a pre-set Mass for weddings. At least this is certainly what it looks like from my missals and the one EF wedding I've been to (where the Nuptial Mass was also superceded by a solemnity occurring that day.) It was Saturday though, so fulfilling the obligation was not a concern.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • it could be that she isnt having the nuptial mass tho.

she's getitng married in a latin mass.  therefore, the actual marriage ceremony takes place before mass even starts.  It could very well be that if mass it at, say, 10am, her ceremony is at 9:30 a.m. and then he's simply saying the regular 10am mass with the intention being for them as a couple (just like youd have a mass said for a deceased relative, sick friend, etc.)

so while she and her guests are getting mass, it may very well not be the nuptial mass which means they may not get the same level of graces and blessings, but will still be validly married as if they had just the marriage with no mass at all.
  • Right, I think she *isn't* having the Nuptial Mass but the regular Sunday Mass--so saying "Nuptial Mass" on the invite would not be technically correct even if it might have been were she getting married in the OF....sorry to talk about you like you aren't here, OP. =P Either way the size of the issue probably depends on the level of liturgical nerddom amongst your family & friends
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Calypso, she replied aways up and said that it's a mass only for them. Basically, the only issue here is how worried she actually is about the word nuptial. It technically (I think) only applies to the actual nuptial mass in the missal, but in this case I think it can also just be considered a nice adjective. Unless the priest will refuse to do the wedding because the wrong terminology was used on the invitations or something. Or it makes her uncomfortable.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards