Massachusetts-Boston
Options

How to find a LOW-COST wedding reception in Boston area?

Hey everyone,

My bride and I are looking to find a LOW-COST venue to rent for a post-church-ceremony reception that can fit 125 people.  We are really on a budget, so need to find something that is low-cost, and ideally (but not necessarily) where we may be able to cater hours douvres (sp?) rather than a full, sit-down, seven-course meal. 

If any one has any suggestions for a specific venue, or better yet, links to a website wher one can search places by people capacity and price, that would be very greatly appreciated. 

My frustration with the search sites that I've found so far is that they don't give that sort of info up front, but rather make you search separately in each individual suburb or neighborhood, and/or separately in each individual category (museum, banquet hall, etc.) and then dig up the info for each venue's pricing and size, rather than just listing all at once all of the venues within a certain size and price range in the area.   

Many thanks!  ~John

Re: How to find a LOW-COST wedding reception in Boston area?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Do you have a certain area you are trying to stick to?  What is your budget?  The search sites can definitely be annoying but people here can give you some great ideas.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    noodle_oonoodle_oo member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Also, what specific area are you interested in?  Downtown Boston will be very expensive, but if you can do the suburbs around 128, you can find better deals.  If you tell us what town your church is in, we can probably recommend reception venues within a 30 min drive.
  • Options
    colleenk814colleenk814 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi!

I am using Exhange Center down in the Seaport.  Their rental fee is extremely reasonable, expecially since it's in Boston AND they have free parking for all of your guests.  I liked this venue because we were planning on a cocktail/appetizer reception as well, and their caterer (East Meets West) was incredibly accomodating and halpful in giving us ideas on how to keep the budget as low as posisble while keeping everybody fed!  In addition, I think this is better than some of the other venues because it has some more character and is right on the water. 

Message me individually if you have any more questions.  I love working with this venue and caterer and am happy to answer any questions you might have.

Good luck!
  • Options
    Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    we had ours in the private function room at the chateau in waltham.  the room rental was only $50, and we paid i think $30 a person for the food.  they also had no cake cutting fee, so we could bring our own cake.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for y'all's replies.  Our ceremony is in Cambridge, so we don't want the reception to be too far away, and ideally it would be not too far from public transportation, for the sake of our guests. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I would suggest maybe the Cambridge Multicultural Arts Center? I've never been there but it looks like a really cool space, and it's T accessible.

http://www.cmacusa.org/HTML/facilityrental.htm

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    dparisidparisi member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Try  http://www.upstairsonthesquare.com/
    This is the perfect place for apps type wedding.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My ceremony and reception are at Roxbury Center for Arts at Hibernian Hall. It is a beautiful space and a non-profit, so the price is extremely low, although they probably do not provide the level of customer service that a for-profit, more traditional wedding venue would provide. Feel free to email me if you want more details - jessicafine at gmail.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You might also want to try SpringStep in Medford or the Villa Victoria Arts Center in the South End!
  • Options
    dparisidparisi member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I saw a post on the Wedding Classifieds for the Intercontinental in Boston- $10,000 package for $5,000.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Casa Lucia in Revere is quite reasonable as well.
    "I got married in 1968 and EVERYONE only had 1 photographer, I don't know where all this nonsense came from. Who wants two flashes popping all night anyway? and really as long as they get you dancing, kissing, and throwing the bouquet the rest is just fluff." - My mom
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I recently went to a Bar Mitzvah  which was held at the First Unitarian Society of Newton. The space was actually very nice, great staff, ,and I believe it's very reasonable for the Boson area.  They do weddings ,I took a look at their website.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am either going to use the Codman Estate in Lincoln, or the Whittemore Robbins House in Arlington.  Both are great, .  Codman is 1600 and provides tables and chairs with very few tables and chairs.  Both are a pain to get an email back from, so you'll have to call to get some info.
  • Options
    par31par31 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are having a lower cost wedding in Plymouth which is right out side of the boston area and for just about 6000 we have the following
    Hall-Girabaldi Club
    Officiate
    Caterer-Cateringsmith
    Trolley to shuttle guests to from ceremony and hotels
    DJ-Tom Bruhl
    Made our own centerpieces and decorations
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards