Minnesota-Minneapolis and St. Paul
Options

Wedding at Renaissance Festival grounds

Has anyone been to a wedding at the Renaissance Festival? My fiance and I have been researching different venues and this is one that came up.

They hold weddings during the festival and it's also available to rent pre-season before the festival starts. Looks line an interesting place, we wouldn't have a Renaissance themed wedding but the buildings and area are pretty and it'd be unique.

Just wondering if anyone has been to a wedding there. Thanks!

Re: Wedding at Renaissance Festival grounds

• Options
    hkieslinghkiesling member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I haven't been to a wedding there, but I was there once while a wedding was going on (it was outside in a cute gazebo kinda looking place).  I think if you're going to have a wedding there, it only makes sense to go Renaissance style with it.  The grounds really say Renaissance, not just cool old castle.  Some things I would note: parking is a big grassy field with dirt lanes (a long walk if doing it during the fair season), there is no AC that I know of, bathrooms are port-a-potty, and the distance to where you go to eat and where the ceremony is can be a bit of hike on grassy dirt if you have people with mobility issues.  Also, animals are allowed in the area. 

That said, I've see some really pretty weddings there (I go once every other year).  You can do some fun/odd things like have your fortune told and get pulled around man-powered carts.  It's not for everyone, but I think it could be really fun with the right crowd.
  • Options
    maybe984maybe984 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Agreed with hkiesling... it could be really cute and fun... but it doesn't make sense if you're not going with a Renaissance theme, especially if you were going to do it during the on-season.
  • Options
    laura_fettlaura_fett member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have to say that I LOVE the Renaissance Festival, I've been there every year since I was a baby. I have not been to a wedding there, but I think you could have a more casual style wedding without have a renaissance theme. I would definately take note that the only bathrooms are port-a-potties (p.s. don't ask where they are, you'll give everyone there a little show if you do), so I would keep the dress pretty casual.

When we were looking into venues I did take into consideration the Ren Fest, but we live pretty far from the cities and decided that we wanted to get married in my home church. Plus FI wasn't too thrilled with the idea of having it there anyway. We're getting married in Sept. so the fair would be in full swing on our day.

If you're getting married when the fair is going on (mid august to early october, I think your guests would have to pay admission, or you would have to send them a ticket if you don't want guests paying for anything. Something else to keep in mind in addition to what was said in pp.

As a guest I would think it would be a lot of fun, cute, casual, but that's just me. Make sure you talk to your FI, I know mine had strong feelings against it, you want to make sure it's a joint decision. Good luck!
  • Options
    Enchanted616Enchanted616 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I looooove the "ren fest," but not for a wedding.  I've been there for a wedding during the on season, and there were many weddings going on that day.  They pretty much did like 10 minute ceremonies, one right after another.  I don't know if there were other options, but it seemed really rushed and impersonal to me. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Finished BC and not preventing since June 2010.
    Actively trying for baby #1 since July 2011.
    SA completed 5/29/2012. No sperm found.
    11/12: Dx: Congenital Bilateral Absense of the Vas Deferens.
    Genetic Testing needed as this is a mutation of Cystic Fibrosis.
    IVF #1 with ICSI planned for 2013.
    PAIF/SAIF welcome!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the replies!

My fiance is on board with the idea, we are definitely not the ballroom, hotel, fancy wedding type people. We'd for sure do it during the off season if we decided to hold it there, I love going to the festival but it seems way too crowded to do it during a festival day.

I didn't even think about the only bathrooms being port a potties...
  • Options
    graysquirrelgraysquirrel member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We also looked into this. When we found out that the bathrooms were the biffys used during the festival, we moved on! I can't imagine hoisting my huge dress into one of those!
    Photobucket
  • Options
    brimavenbrimaven member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    you could probably call Mid-America festivals and talk to their wedding co-ordinator to get some info. I've been to a wedding that was in the off-season, and it was a blast.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards