Pennsylvania-Philadelphia

photographer help!

so i am completely clueless in what to look for with a photographer. my MIL has done three weddings before, but the last one being like 5 years ago and she really didn't like the pictures. My sister used a friend for hers, hasn't seen them yet. I have no friends who got/are getting married. I just don't want to one and done a photographer, but i have no idea what price is reasonable, what should be included, what should be extra, etc. all i know is i need help!

thanks ladies!

Re: photographer help!

• edited December 2011
    What's your budget and what type of photography do you like?

• edited December 2011
    i don't think it's as much as a budget as what i'm into. i want someone who's going to be more focused on those candid shots then the professional posed ones. theone or two i've been looking at range from 3300-4000$, but in my opinion come with a lot of benefits (print credits, rights to print/publish on internet). lord knows every photographer could be doing this for all i know. i wish i could just snap my fingers and be married tomorrow!
  • edited December 2011
    Ok take a knee.  
    You WANT to be able to print your own pictures as it will save you money in the long run.  If you do not have this right you will have to go back to the photog EVERY time you want to print a pic.  

If you do not have the right to publish you will not be able to put your pics in your siggy or on your FB page, or anywhere online.  

Most people on this board prefer photojournalist style.  We can suggest many photogs for you to check out.  

I would check out-
    Mike Landis
    Ryan Estes
    Cindy Guessford

• edited December 2011
    Ditto NCV.  At a minimum, I would suggest a package with at least 7-8 hours of coverage (it's normal for the photographer to arrive towards the end of your getting ready and leave shortly before the end of the wedding...if you know you will want more or fewer hours of coverage, this is a very engotiable aspect of a photography package).  I would also make sure you have the rights to reprint and use your photos any way you wish, like NCV said.  A print credit is unncessary unless you can apply that credit to potentially expensive products like an album or a canvas print (many photogs who include this will simply say their package includes credit for ay of these things).  Since the goal is to just ahve your photos and use them however you want for years to come, I would also look for a photographer who either includes a CD of images for you in their package or who will include it at an additional cost (pay them for this).  You want that CD; otherwise, like NCV said, you will be at the mercy for your photographer forever if you ever want to buy a print, make a parent album, enlarge something, print your faces on a t-shirt, etc :)

Beyond that, whether you want to put forth the cash for albums from your photographer or make your own at a later date is up to you. 

The amount you pay for a photographer is generally a reflection of that photographer's years of training and experience, and up to a certain point it's my opinion that you do get what you pay for.  I'm still not sure what your budget is, but most of my favorite photographers do tend to fall in the 3-4k range.  I believe that since your photos are ultimately the only things you will have left at the end of the day to remember your wedding by, finding a bit of extra money to spend on them if you possibly can is worth it.  I would never recommend letting a friend or relative take your photos, even if they are a pro, either.  I have two separate horror stories from two separate friends who thought they could save some cash by letting photographer relatives shoot their weddings. 

All that said, NCV gave you a good start.  I would also recommend looking into:

Doug Burns frm Candid Moments Photography (my wedding photographer)
    Tony Hoffer (might be a little on the pricier side now)
    Sandor Welsh
    Jennifer Childress
    Rich Lavigne
    Sarah Schulte
  • edited December 2011
    Andplusalso...I should point out that since we're tlaking weddings, EVERYTHING IS NEGOTIABLE.  If you have a specific budget in mind, tell photogaphers you meet with what it is and if it's reasonable (eg you are not asking a $10k photographer to do your wedding for $500) they will put together a package to make your budget work.  This will usually mean compromising on features of a package (hours of coverage, an album, cutting out an engagement session, etc.) to help the price come down, giving a discount for an off-day or off-season event, or possibly throwing in an "extra" something here or there to sweeten the deal.  Don't be afraid to ask what someone can do for you if you really love their work but don't love their pricetag.
  • raw1299raw1299 member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    My friend whom i've known for a few years now, is a professional photographer. he's taken pictures for me before, and have turned out amazing. hes been a photographer and videographer for the past 15 years at least, and also teaches photography at gloucester county college in south jersey. if you look him up on facebook, his name is chuck walker from pitman,nj. if you tell him you know me (Rachel Whitman), i'm sure he'll give you a price reduction. probably something in the 500-1000 range. all the pictures will be edited and retouched, with dvds and cds of the pictures, where you can print all the pictures of your liking.

good luck and hope this helps!
    Married 10/09/11
    Miss Claire born 5/29/13
    Our Happy Little Family
  • edited December 2011
    raw - great that you are trying to help...but probably not a good idea to post your full name here, especially when your username is also your e-mail address.  I would suggest deleting your post and sending this info to the OP as sa private message to avoid spam and protect your identity.
  • edited December 2011
    thanks ladies! i think the long short of it is I need to get my life together. I'm going to have FH sit with me, and as much as he won't, try to get some input from him. honestly, i just assumed everyone did discs nowadays, but that's not the truth!

@ LRM, hoffer was one of the ones i was looking at. he did an old classmates wedding, and i really enjoyed his work.

once again, thanks ladies!  Laughing
  • raw1299raw1299 member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    sadly i cant change my username. i accidently put in my email instead of a username.
    Married 10/09/11
    Miss Claire born 5/29/13
    Our Happy Little Family
  • edited December 2011
    we used zorn photography.  He won the Knot's "best of" this year.  Check out his site, you'll see why... www.mzorn.com

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards