Pre-wedding Parties

shower invite wording

I am hosting a bridal shower and the groom is from England... we want to incorporate some fun customs into the shower, and would like the guests to wear  hats. Any thoughts on how to state that on the invitation?Thanks!

Re: shower invite wording

• banana468banana468 member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011

You can't.

It sounds cute in theory but if any guest is like me, I'd feel like I had to go out and buy a hat just to wear to the shower.

Instead, incorporate customs that YOU can do.  Add food customs but not customs that require your guests to do things.  Because that is something that the English would not find appropriate.

• edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_pre-wedding-parties_shower-invite-wording-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:32Discussion:6e991f6c-c9c3-4e93-9509-6dff27b476afPost:b23d2490-dc69-4de0-809d-17b0c2b75f57">Re: shower invite wording</a>:
    [QUOTE]You can't. <strong>It sounds cute in theory but if any guest is like me, I'd feel like I had to go out and buy a hat just to wear to the shower. </strong>Instead, incorporate customs that YOU can do.  Add food customs but not customs that require your guests to do things.  Because that is something that the English would not find appropriate.
    Posted by banana468[/QUOTE]

<div>Yep, this.  And then I'd be annoyed that the shower was costing me more money than the price of a gift.</div>
    imageDaisypath Wedding tickers
  • edited December 2011
    I think you can find a cute way to SUGGEST that they wear hats.
    I had a Breakfast at Tiffany's shower for my sister. The invite had a picture of Audry on it, and at the bottom it read:

Wear your little black
    and strands of pearls
    it will add showes of fun
    for all of us girls

Most of the 30 guests dressed up and loved it, some didnt and it was not an issue
    But I guess those are things that every woman has in her clsoet..
    Im just trying to think of some cute wording about hats.. hmm... google it!
    Good luck!
    edited December 2011
    You're missing the point.  There's no way to appropriately tell guests what to do.

At least with black and pearls you have a chance that the guests may own those items.  Not every woman owns a hat.  In fact, I don't know many who DO own hats other than winter ones.
  • edited December 2011
    Oh I  got the point.
    She is trying to do something cute and instead of just telling her she cant I was trying to help. I know lots of women with cute hats, and especially after the royal wedding, it could be really cute.
  • edited December 2011
    Agree to disagree.
    I dont think its rude at all. Its not required! There wouldnt be a doorman enforcing the "hat" code.

But I also love hats, so we agree on that.

edited December 2011
    We can agree to disagree but know that etiquette says not to do it. That's what makes it incorrect.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards