Minnesota-Minneapolis and St. Paul

Liquor...am I being too cheap?

We are having our reception at PEC and we are allowed to bring our own liquor. We really want to stay on budget and was thinking maybe we should only get beer, wine (red and white) and toasting champagne. We were going to do one signature drink like the mojito, but we really want to cut cost and I don't want people super wasted at my wedding. Do you think I'm just being to cheap and I should serve some kind of specialty drink?

Re: Liquor...am I being too cheap?

• edited December 2011
    I think serving just beer and wine is totally acceptable!

My Married Lady Bio
    FOR SALE ITEMS Wedding Countdown Ticker

I got married on Friday the 13th!
  • edited December 2011
    I agree with pp, beer and wine are plenty of options. Plus I don't know a ton of people that like Mojitos ( I do) but I don't think I would really think about drinking one at a wedding (I like them when I'm on vacation or the beach). Everyone likes wine or beer and if they don't, then they don't have to drink! :)
    Trying to Conceive Ticker "All that I'm after is a life full of laughter, As long as I'm laughing with you" Planning Bio image
  • shameless_adshameless_ad member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Not cheap at all - you're hosting more than a lot of weddings do!

We're at the PEC too, and we'll be doing the exact same thing - maybe not even toasting champagne, just beer and wine.  I don't want to spend the money to stock a bar, and just like you, I really don't want people totally wasted at my wedding!
    Bio - Updated 7/25/10
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image 284 Invited image 182 Attending image 96 Declined image 6 Not yet replied
  • edited December 2011
    We're at PEC and doing just beer (2 kegs) and wine!
  • hkieslinghkiesling member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You can host whatever you want.  Not that you asked, but we got our alcohol from Leo Hoye in St. Paul.  (651) 774-7500‎  They allow you to return any unopened bottles of whatever you buy.  They also had the best prices of about five stores we checked.
  • graysquirrelgraysquirrel member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    No way! That sounds generous to me. I'm only planning on champaign. 
    Photobucket
  • zephyr_mariezephyr_marie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're just doing beer and wine to save on cost as well, so more than acceptable!
  • shameless_adshameless_ad member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Steph, 2 kegs for how many people?
    Bio - Updated 7/25/10
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image 284 Invited image 182 Attending image 96 Declined image 6 Not yet replied
  • Bimbi284Bimbi284 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That's completely acceptable! We're hosting beer and wine for our reception as well. Our cocktail our is open bar with any liqour they could want (part of our package), and then for the rest of the night, we're keeping it simple!
  • edited December 2011
    Shameless- we're having about 150-180 people.  A lot of younger family, though, and it's a lunch wedding!
  • NuggetBrainNuggetBrain member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Beer and wine is fine, but please be aware that people can get just as wasted on beer and wine as they can on rum and cokes. 

If I wanted to hear the pitter-patter of little feet, I'd put shoes on the cat. image

• edited December 2011

Pheww...thanks ladies. I didn't think just beer, wine and champagne would be enough. I feel much better.

• edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_minnesota-minneapolis-st-paul_liquoram-being-cheap?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:81Discussion:27e45764-e53f-4a9b-a2ff-bb40b73f9a4aPost:d635993f-bd74-425e-a639-4e4cad2238a0">Re: Liquor...am I being too cheap?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Beer and wine is fine, but please be aware that people can get just as wasted on beer and wine as they can on rum and cokes. 
    Posted by NuggetBrain[/QUOTE]

<div>Ditto both statements. I know that after cocktail no. 3, I need to stop. With beer and wine, it's not as clear. Just consider that people who are looking to get drunk will get drunk on whatever's available.</div>
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    I agree with all PPs, but just one thing - if it's in your budget (and maybe it's complimentary at your venue anyway) I would offer free soda to your guests. For a long time, I didn't drink and as a guest at an event I thought it was ridiculous that people drinking alcohol were drinking free of charge but I had to pay for soda.

I just had a bad experience - I went to a rehearsal dinner and wine was ordered for the tables. I don't drink wine and so I ordered a soda...then the hostess (my friend) came to collect my $2.50 + tax + tip at the end of the dinner. 

Maybe I'm just bitter, but something to think about (especially if you're having kids...or people like me!) :)
  • NuggetBrainNuggetBrain member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_minnesota-minneapolis-st-paul_liquoram-being-cheap?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:81Discussion:27e45764-e53f-4a9b-a2ff-bb40b73f9a4aPost:0dbd091f-e44a-443b-8374-f5aaba12d2eb">Re: Liquor...am I being too cheap?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I agree with all PPs, but just one thing - if it's in your budget (and maybe it's complimentary at your venue anyway) I would offer free soda to your guests. For a long time, I didn't drink and as a guest at an event I thought it was ridiculous that people drinking alcohol were drinking free of charge but I had to pay for soda. I just had a bad experience - I went to a rehearsal dinner and wine was ordered for the tables. I don't drink wine and so I ordered a soda...then the hostess (my friend) came to collect my $2.50 + tax + tip at the end of the dinner.  Maybe I'm just bitter, but something to think about (especially if you're having kids...or people like me!) :)
    Posted by cswaldon[/QUOTE]

God yes, please make sure you offer soda for free.  I went to a wedding recently where everything, including soda, was a cash bar.  The only free thing to drink was water from a pitcher on the bar.  A lot of people were NOT happy.

If I wanted to hear the pitter-patter of little feet, I'd put shoes on the cat. image

• edited December 2011
    Totally agree! Free pop is a must!
  • drdifabiodrdifabio member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree - beer and wine is totally fine but do have something non alcoholic like punch and soda! I was at a wedding once where liquor was free but you had to pay for soda and I thought that was really strange. There were a good # of kids there too and their parents drank for free but had to pay for their kids drinks.
  • edited December 2011
    Wine/beer/champagne is more than enough.  If you really want to do something more, you could just have a cash bar for hard liquor.  If people really want a drink, they won't mind paying for it themselves, they'll just be happy it's available.  I went to a wedding like that recently and it was just fine.  For ours, I want to buy the wine/champagne by the case, so I can be picky about it and hopefully get a better deal, then just do keg beer.  I'm not sure yet how we want to deal with hard liquor, though.  I know I certainly appreciate a real drink, and I'll have exactly what I want at my own damn party.Laughing 

Ditto on the free sodas.  I can't believe a place would make you pay for sodas when it's really just about free for them to serve it to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards