Washington-Seattle

by the power invested in me by... the online guys?

My fiance and I have opted to have our mutual friend perform our ceremony. He was ordained online by Universal Life Church, and our state (Washington) requires no proof of ordination. When it comes to the part where one would say "by the power invested in me by ___ I now pronounce you husband and wife" what would our officiant say? Washington state doesn't seem to care if he is or is not legally ordained, and saying "Universal Life Church" may pour salt on my in-laws wounds because we're not having an "actual" minister of a church marry us. Can he just simply pronounce us without stating through who? Or do you have to state your power in order for it to be a legal ceremony?

Re: by the power invested in me by... the online guys?

• edited December 2011
    I'm pretty sure it's "the power VESTED in me..."  As to your question, I don't know, but I will be interested to see the responses, as we're considering ordaining a family member as well.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • melissa82melissa82 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    lol I thought it was vested too...

Can't you just say "by the state of Washington" since ultimately that's who needs to recognize the officiant's "power"? (I don't know this for a fact, but this would be my guess...and I'm not sure it really matters what you say anyway, it's the paperwork that makes it legal.)
  • briandbry2010briandbry2010 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would scrap the "power invested"part because thats usually used by clergy because it means gad has given tham the power etc. I would have him/her say some thing like " it is with grat honor that I pronounce you ........." or something along those lines.
    Visit Retro.weddings.com Wedding Countdown Ticker 172 invitedimage 151 accepted!image 5 can't make itimage 16 haven't respondedimage
  • briandbry2010briandbry2010 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Typeo on my part. I meant God no Gad
    Visit Retro.weddings.com Wedding Countdown Ticker 172 invitedimage 151 accepted!image 5 can't make itimage 16 haven't respondedimage
  • jennuinnejennuinne member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Our officiant gave us several different ceremonies to choose from, and all but one ending didn't include "By the power..."   I think he can just say, as pp mentioned, "It is my great honor to pronounce you husband & wife," or something to that effect.  "You may kiss your bride."
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Yes, the officiant doesn't need to say "By the power" which is more religious in connotation. Technically, vested (which it is, not invested), means guaranteed by the power/legal right so they could use that and say "from the State of Washington." However, you might just prefer in this case to go with PP suggestion and say, "My great honor" etc.
    Daisypath Vacation tickers
  • amylbellamylbell member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    ditto to PP's our ceremony says "it's now my honor to introduce"....no vested
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards