Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Help me plan a menu.

I'm in a monthly bunco group and May is my month to host. 
Hosting involves making a dinner and I'm at a loss. 

I've thought about doing a "pasta bar" of sorts, a couple of different types of noodles and two or three different kinds of sauces with some garlic bread.

I thought about making Lasagna but I think that would be too complicated. 

My other choices were: 
Tater Tot Casserole , Hamburger pie or Order something in.

I need to feed 12, I'm the youngest of the group most are 50+ (if that makes a difference). But! I did nail down dessert by myself- I'm making Tollhouse Pie.

ETA: This may be a P&R because we're about to do dinner and go to the store but I will be back at some point.

Re: Help me plan a menu.

• Options
    I like the pasta bar idea.  Theme-ing anything, as long as it's not gimmicky, is always a good idea.

Books read in 2012: 21/50

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Options
    ski2playski2play member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited May 2012
    Pulled Pork Sandwiches in the crock pot serves a lot, you could serve with a coleslaw and sweet potato fries.

ETA:  I loved the pasta bar idea too, you could serve a red sauce, a creamy sauce, and a cheese sauce.  Go Crash!
  • Options
    crash2729crash2729 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited May 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_help-me-plan-a-menu?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:8a260c36-0da1-485d-8910-ee0dcb4db7e5Post:a81bc996-3681-4a91-9171-0f46cfff15a9">Re: Help me plan a menu.</a>:
    [QUOTE]I like the pasta bar idea.  Theme-ing anything, as long as it's not gimmicky, is always a good idea.
    Posted by baystateapple[/QUOTE]
    This is what I'm leaning towards...espically since I am planning on trying to stay at work until at least 3:30 or 4...So that will give me two hours to get everything ready...the easier the better!<div>
    </div><div>ETA:Ski, Good idea! I'm going to look into that. </div><div>
    </div>
  • Options
    I don't cook, so I can't help you there, but I just wanted to say good choice on the Tollhouse Pie, that's my favorite!
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    This is going to sound weird, but if you do a marinara & an alfredo, tell people they have three choices- red, creamy, or half&half. I swear the half&half tastes like the sauce you'd have on penne ala vodka (so vodka sauce, I guess). Delicious.
  • Options
    I love the pasta bar idea. I might also add a salad. One tip I picked up from a friends mom is if you're serving meatballs buffet style, put them in the crock pot on warm with some marinara sauce. This way if anyone gets seconds, the meat is still nice and warm.
  • Options
    Pasta bar sounds good.

I'd probably do a taco bar which I think would be easier than trying to get a ton of pasta to the right consistency. Crockpot shredded chicken (package frozen breasts, jar of salsa, package of taco seasoning - 5 hrs on low while you're at work). Then you just have to prepare bowls of extras: shredded cheese, diced onion, lettuce, tomato, olives, guacamole, sour cream, salsa. You could also do some ground beef and/or black beans as well very easily. Small soft flour and/or corn tortillas, some crunchy shells.

And if you are doing drinks some blender margaritas!
  • Options
    Pasta bar sounds good.  You could also do a "make your own pizza" bar.  Have personal sized crusts, different sauces (marinara, white sauce, garlic olive oil), toppings, cheeses, etc.  It would take a little longer, but if the crusts are pre-made, each one would only need about 5-10 minutes in the oven, and you could do probably 3-4 at a time.

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • Options
    I was going to suggest pizza, too.  You could do "make your own" individual pizza shells, like J&K suggested, or have a few larger ones.  You can buy pizza shells, buy premade dough that you roll out, or make your own dough (we make dough in a breadmaker, really easy, if you have one).  Make a few different kinds--regular sauce/cheese, veggies, brie/apple, etc.  I also like the pasta bar idea.  I don't think lasagna would be super-complicated.  It would be easy to make in advance and then reheat or cook it right before dinner.  Make a big green salad to go with any of those options.

And I just learned how to play bunco over the winter.  Have fun :)
  • Options
    Thanks for all your good ideas! 

It's definitely helpful! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards