Moms and Maids

FMIL & Bridal Shower VENT

My SIL and future SIL(not FI's sister, but my brothers fiance) threw my Bridal Shower this past weekend. Everything was fun and happy, my entire bridal shower was there, my mom and grandma, his family and friends. It was a small fun event. Then, always the negative person his FMIL started talking more as the party got to a close. My MOH/Best friend as a present created a mini photoalbum of FI and I throughout the past 5 years together, I LOVED it so I passed it around to everyone. When FMIL started looking at the picture she made the incredibly rude comment of "WOW you sure have gained a lot of wait since you guys started dating." Who says this type of thing and believes it is okay? Especially at my bridal shower infront of my friends and family!? This is not the first time she has made a comment, when we showed her our engagement pictures she said "Wow you look skinny in that one, you must be sucking it in a lot." Mind you I have gained weight since we started dating, i was 18 at the time and soon after moved away to college and started BC but I am by no means FAT. I was a dancer in HS, so i was very athletic and in shape. Now im simply "normal".

Im at a loss on how to handle this constant negativity. FMIL and FI have been arguing the past month, and she has been acting like a child. Easter she refused to speak to him or look at him because she was mad about a disagreement they had, which she is the one who created the argument. FFIL thinks my FI should start the conversation with her and apologize, of which he has nothing to apologize for and he attempted to speak to her at easter and she literally turned her back and walked away from him. Then the next week, she comes to my bridal shower and makes negative comments about me.

I have been sucking it up and ignoring these type of outburts for a while now, but im getting to my breaking point. FI wont confront her about it and says that if I have a problem with her speak my mind about it and tell her. This bothers me because i was raised to always respect my friends parents/my elders but its getting to a point where she does not DESERVE this respect from me. She believes the negativity and harsh comments are okay because no one has ever spoken up to her. She makes them at family gatherings to other peoples and my FFIL says he just ignores it because everyone knows "how she is." Which was his response to when FI and her had an argument. UGH I am just so beyond frustrated with all of this and I know if her negativity continues to leak out on the big day, im not going to be able to put on a happy face. I will probably turn into "bridezilla" and FLIP!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: FMIL & Bridal Shower VENT

• edited December 2011
    Oops, spelling typos galore! I apologize! This is HIS mother so my, FMIL.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_fmil-bridal-shower-vent?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:357Discussion:34be2931-304a-4039-ae66-19a7f75a296aPost:fde2bc1a-be9d-4661-a53c-963c7724b395">FMIL & Bridal Shower VENT</a>:
    [QUOTE]FI wont confront her about it and says that if I have a problem with her speak my mind about it and tell her.
    Posted by OopsOreo04[/QUOTE]
    This is absolutely NOT ok.  Your FI should always be willing to stick up for you and defend you.  If my MIL said something like this to me my FI would FLIP OUT on her and they're really close too.  He should never just brush off your feelings like this. 

First things first, you need to talk to your FI and tell him how his nonchalant attitude about this really hurts your feelings.  He should be the one to handle issues with his family just like you're the one to handle issues with yours. 
  • zitiqueenzitiqueen member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_fmil-bridal-shower-vent?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:357Discussion:34be2931-304a-4039-ae66-19a7f75a296aPost:fde2bc1a-be9d-4661-a53c-963c7724b395">FMIL & Bridal Shower VENT</a>:
    [QUOTE]My SIL and future SIL(not FI's sister, but my brothers fiance) threw my Bridal Shower this past weekend. Everything was fun and happy, my entire bridal shower was there, my mom and grandma, his family and friends. It was a small fun event. Then, always the negative person his FMIL started talking more as the party got to a close. My MOH/Best friend as a present created a mini photoalbum of FI and I throughout the past 5 years together, I LOVED it so I passed it around to everyone. When FMIL started looking at the picture she made the incredibly rude comment of "WOW you sure have gained a lot of wait since you guys started dating." Who says this type of thing and believes it is okay? Especially at my bridal shower infront of my friends and family!? This is not the first time she has made a comment, when we showed her our engagement pictures she said "Wow you look skinny in that one, you must be sucking it in a lot." Mind you I have gained weight since we started dating, i was 18 at the time and soon after moved away to college and started BC but I am by no means FAT. I was a dancer in HS, so i was very athletic and in shape. Now im simply "normal". Im at a loss on how to handle this constant negativity. FMIL and FI have been arguing the past month, and she has been acting like a child. Easter she refused to speak to him or look at him because she was mad about a disagreement they had, which she is the one who created the argument. FFIL thinks my FI should start the conversation with her and apologize, of which he has nothing to apologize for and he attempted to speak to her at easter and she literally turned her back and walked away from him. Then the next week, she comes to my bridal shower and makes negative comments about me. I have been sucking it up and ignoring these type of outburts for a while now, but im getting to my breaking point.<strong> FI wont confront her about it</strong> and says that if I have a problem with her speak my mind about it and tell her. This bothers me because i was raised to always respect my friends parents/my elders but its getting to a point where she does not DESERVE this respect from me. She believes the negativity and harsh comments are okay because no one has ever spoken up to her. She makes them at family gatherings to other peoples and my FFIL says he just ignores it because everyone knows "how she is." Which was his response to when FI and her had an argument. UGH I am just so beyond frustrated with all of this and I know if her negativity continues to leak out on the big day, im not going to be able to put on a happy face. I will probably turn into "bridezilla" and FLIP!
    Posted by OopsOreo04[/QUOTE]

<u>RED FLAG</u>. Your FI doesn't have your back. If he doesn't have your back now, there's a very good chance he never will -- wedding rings don't change anything.

How old is he?
  • edited December 2011
    Your fmil sounds like a playground bully. She makes those hurtful remarks because she knows no one is going to stand up to her. It makes her feel powerful.

Fi should man up. Once he learns to stand up for you, it will be easier for him to stand up for himself, also. He should tell her that he expects her to treat you with respect and the negative comments will not be tolerated by either of you. You should insist that he does it.

Standing up for yourself is not being disrespectful. The next time she makes a comment about your weight, say "How kind of you to point that out." Use your best frosty glare and ice cold voice. She will get the message. If she doesn't back off, leave. You should never tolerate that kind of meanness.

Good luck.

• eviltwin13eviltwin13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I like the Dear Abby method. "I can't imagine why you would say something like that." If she persists, "That hurts my feelings. Please stop." Short and to the point. No need to get into it, just state how you feel and then move on.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Right- I agree that you should be blunt and to the point.  I also like the answer/comment "Do you say these things b/c you hate me and want to hurt me, or love me and want to help me?"  I have used that one before and it is a stunner because how do you answer that? 

Your FI and his family have obviously decided that it is easier to ignore her and let her have her own way than stand up to her.  She is spoiled rotten (yes, it is possible for an adult to be spoiled!).  Just because they spoil her doesnt mean you have to. 

If it were me I would tell my FI how much it hurts you, and if he refuses to stick up for you or help you fight the mom battle than you don't want to see her again- meaning he will have to make a choice.  That puts the ball back in his court.  Just because you are related does not mean you have to suffer poisonous people in your life.  In a lesser example, my sister married a man who was a thief and drug user.  They had two children who I loved, but after having this man lie to me, steal $600 from me (he sold a laptop I bought my nephew for drugs), and basically make my parents a nervous wreck- I decided to cut all ties with this man.  I told my sister that just because she chooses to have this man in her life does not give her the right to insist that he be a part of my life. 

You could say something like this to your FI.  "I know she is your mother, and you love her, but I don't want our relationship strained because of how your mother treats me, therefore I am choosing to not be around her for a while." 

Good Luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    OMG do we have same FMIL?  I'm having similar stress with mine and it's so frustrating!  Here's the problem:  you're stuck with this woman for the next 40 years or so.  If you don't stand up for yourself now she's always going to walk all over you.  You need to have a serious talk with your FI.  I know it's hard but he needs to have your back.  It's his place to say something to his mother and he should be willing to stand up for you.  Good luck!
  • LoveMuffinsLoveMuffins member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_fmil-bridal-shower-vent?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:357Discussion:34be2931-304a-4039-ae66-19a7f75a296aPost:dab38bc5-d4ba-4cf1-906d-4cd8fdb99a57">Re: FMIL & Bridal Shower VENT</a>:
    [QUOTE]Right- I agree that you should be blunt and to the point.  I also like the answer/comment <strong>"Do you say these things b/c you hate me and want to hurt me, or love me and want to help me?"</strong>  Posted by Davesgrl2011[/QUOTE]

I love that for when FI's not around; although I agree with PPs that he needs to man up and stand up for you. How is he ok with her saying sh*t like that to you? for that matter, did none of your friends or family say anything? I would've gone OFF if someone said anything like that to one of my friends.

Good luck with dealing with her and FI.
    Rocking the Dress with my Bestie
    Vacation
    Married Bio
    Day Zero / Blog
  • me+you=usme+you=us member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    ohh man, i have the same FMIL as well...  so sorry to hear that there are others going through similar situations as myself, it's downright painful!  not to mention extremely frustrating and stressful!!!  no one person should be able to create enough drama to stir things up in a relationship, and one would think a parent would know better!  your FMIL (as well as mine and any others like this) should be seriously ashamed of themselves for their behavior.  

as you can tell i feel very passionately about it subject----i have a fresh fight that just happened a week ago still in my mind... my FMIL told my mom and me (at different times) that grad school is clearly stressing me out too much and i am too stressed to be getting married so we should all just cut our losses and talk about it when i finish school (in 2 yrs!).  oh and it's 3 months till our wedding... 

my FI is not speaking to her now and instead told his dad what is going on and they decided to have a sit down with my FI, his dad and mom, and his mom's best friend.  apparently the best friend is the only person my FMIL listens to and lets her guard down around.  i am very proud of my FI for talking to his dad and refusing to speak to his mom until this is resolved.  

your FI needs to do what mine has done and grow a backbone against his mommy.  it's not easy to do, i know, it took my FI over 2 yrs to really learn how to stand up for me and for himself.  it's important for you to support him through all this and tell him (when he does proactively stand up for you) that you are really grateful and lucky to have him.  he's probably been just doing what his mom says his whole life and not asking any questions.  that's many many years of bad habits to break.  it takes time but now is the time!  no one is allowed to bully you, not even his mom, and do not be afraid to stand up for yourself either.  with my FMIL it's all about "respect" yet she says whatever she wants which more often than not is very disrespectful to the other person.  that is unacceptable, shut it down or it will just get worse.

sorry this is so long!  i hope it helps, just stand your ground and have your FI make your boundaries known to his mom.  it's up to him unfortunately to make a change!  good luck, i hope things get better! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards