Moms and Maids

FMIL bought dress the same color as the bridesmaids

My FMIL bought the same color as the bridesmaids dress. She did not talk to me about the dress before she bought it. My mom is wearing gold and my colors are lilac and yellow.
 I am upset that my FMIL has bought the same color but I don't know what to say to her about it.  She first told me that she was going to wear a complementing color to my moms but I guess things have changed. Am I overreacting?

Re: FMIL bought dress the same color as the bridesmaids

• ViczaesarViczaesar member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    Yes.  Your FMIL is allowed to wear whatever she wants.  No one will mistake her for a bridesmaid.

• kmmssgkmmssg mod
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    Yes you are.  Say nothing to her and be thrilled that she has found a dress she loves.  I promise no one is going to confuse her for a bridesmaid, and her color choice is fine.
  • mcskatcatmcskatcat member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yes, you're overreacting.  It's not a huge deal.  No one is going to confuse her for a bridesmaid, so I really wouldn't worry about this.  And if you do say something to her about it, you will probably look bad so I would just move on with your planning.

Good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    My BMs are wearing black, so I asked my FMIL to not wear black but any other color that her little heart desires is fine by me so long as it's not the same as my mom's dress. But if the dress is already bought, there's nothing that can really be done. Litke everyone said, she's not going to be mistaken as a BM 
    She's always wanted to be a princess and he's always wanted to be a hero; as fate would now have it, she is his princess and he is her hero *Semper Fi* Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Maggie0829Maggie0829 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    No one will mistake her for a BM.  It is not like she bought the same exact dress as your girls so this is definitely one thing that you just need to get over.

I was in the same boat a few months ago.  My FMIL wanted to wear a bright red dress to my wedding.  I kind of freaked out mainly because my Mom and sister and other relatives were freaking out about it.  I then realized that I just didn't care what she wore because it won't affect me at the end of the day.

• edited December 2011
    Yes, you are over reacting.
    The bride only has a say over what the wedding party wears. All other adults, including the mothers, get to choose their own outfits/colors.

• jerseydeviljerseydevil member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Don't worry about it. There are so many other things to focus on! Nobody will notice. The last wedding I went to, I can't remember those details.
  • em01092em01092 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yes. 

I know it seems like a problem, but really it is NBD. It's just one more thing for you to worry about that doesn't merit your attention or stress. Just let it go. 
    April Siggy Challenge-Wedding Escape: Reading HG/dreaming about Peeta.... Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker Bio-Updated 4/22**
  • edited December 2011
  • edited December 2011
    My MIL also wore the same color as the bridal party. It was really NBD.

You cannot dictate anyone's attire outside the BP.
  • edited December 2011
    If she went against what you asked her to do I'd be irritated but you can't have her change now prolly
  • HandBananaHandBanana member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sometimes, when I read posts like this I realize how awesome my MIL is.  She asked me what color and style and checked with me about her dress. I really didn't care and trusted her.  I only asked that she didn't wear a black veil over her face and cry that she was loosing her baby boy durring our wedding ceremony.

ETA: I doubt she did it on purpose and I really doubt that it is the EXACT same color as your BM dresses.  It is really no big deal at all.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards