• Images
  • Text
  • Find a Couple + Registry
GO
Etiquette

Couples Shower?

My BIL (H's brother) is getting married in April. My MIL wants to throw a shower for my FSIL and I have a couple of etiquette questions. I know that it's inappropriate for the bride's mother or sister to throw a bridal shower because it looks gift grabby. It would seem that the same thing could be said about the groom's mother throwing a /couples/ shower, but not if she threw a /bridal/ shower - am I right? As the bride's FSIL and the groom's SIL, am I a far enough removed relation to be able to host /either/ a couples or a bridal shower without it being inappropriate?

I'd prefer to throw a couples shower instead of a bridal shower because (1) the bride has had a shower already (and given the small size of the wedding that could seem grabby too - so if it would be inappropriate for me to throw a couples shower, I'd probably throw a lingerie shower to mix it up a bit) and (2) most of her closest friends (outside the bridal party) are guys, so they weren't invited to the first shower.

Any thoughts are welcome :-)

Re: Couples Shower?

• misshart00misshart00 Oklahoma member
    2500 Comments 500 Love Its Fourth Anniversary First Answer
    I think it's fine for you to throw her a shower. I know you can't do a whole lot about it, but try to make sure the guest lists of this shower and her other shower don't overlap too much. That's what looks gift grabby.
  • it sounds totally fun! especially if her good friends are men.
  • I wish more showers would be couples showers. A lot more low-key.

You could probably make it a "Stock the bar" (guests are encouraged to bring a bottle of booze and/or entertaining-ware to help stock the couple's bar). or "Favorite Recipe" (guests are encouraged to bring the basics [non-perishibles] to make their favorite recipe and the recipe itself).
  • We had a couples shower - it was a game night piza party.  Very low key and fun for all.

I alos hosted a couples shower when I was a MOH for my MOH.  We went bowling and then had a BBQ in our backyard.

The only thing "shower" like at each was the gift opening.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • AddieCakeAddieCake Beyond the Wall member
    10000 Comments 500 Love Its Fourth Anniversary 25 Answers
    Couples showers are my favorite kind. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Jen4948Jen4948 Houston member
    10000 Comments Sixth Anniversary 500 Love Its 25 Answers
    I've read that MILs and SILs aren't supposed to throw showers either, but I don't see why you can't-especially if it's a couples shower.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards