Gay Weddings

Iowa anyone?

Is anyone from Iowa or know of the laws of eloping? My partner & I live in Wisconsin and we were thinking of eloping before our big wedding next July! Any information would be great!

Re: Iowa anyone?

• 2dBride2dBride member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The only thing to be aware of is that Iowa has a three business day waiting period between application for a marriage license and getting married.  If you will not be staying in Iowa that long, you might check on which counties will allow you to apply for the marriage license by mail.  (Some do, but not all.)  You can apply in any county; you don't have to apply in the one in which the marriage will be performed.
  • llucas45llucas45 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    we are in Iowa.  you can print off the marriage licence form on line and send it back in but you have to have the signatures notarized.  and yes you can get it from any county and get married in a different county but once the licence is signed it has to go back to the county that you received it from. for example we got our licence in Dallas county and are getting married in Polk county and our friends are taking the certificate back to Dallas county on Monday after the wedding for us.  My son is performing our ceremony for us.  if you need help with anything please feel free to send me a message.  Lisa
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011

Hey thanks! You just saved us a trip. We were planning on driving down for the day, getting married and heading back home. I will find the application! Thanks Lisa! Can we just get married in the courthouse?

• llucas45llucas45 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    yes you can.  another option would be to come down to the courthouse pay an
     extra fee and get the three days waived, you can do everything in one day.  go to www.polkrecorder.com/marriages.htm for more information.
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards