Military Brides

Poll: What do you do?

Hi ladies :) I was just thinking, we all know for most of us our FI's are in the military, and some ladies here are in the military as well... but what does everyone else do for work/school/whatever?
White Knot Visit The Knot! Daisypath Graduation tickers

Re: Poll: What do you do?

• Beachy730Beachy730 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm a teacher, but not teaching while we are at this station.  Hopefully I will be able to teach again when we get to VA next year.  

For now I work for a travel health company.  It's a pretty easy gig, and I get to work from home which is a mega bonus.  However i can't wait to get back to teaching, making better money, and actually putting my 2 degrees and tons of student loan debt to use.  
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • KendallR10KendallR10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm a student and I work retail
    Military Brides December 2011 Siggy. Holiday picture with your SO. We suck and don't have one :/ Those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter.
  • ggirl2001ggirl2001 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Ohh Beachy you don't really want to get rid of your student loan debt do you? I mean I LOVE mine.

Anyway, I have a masters in school counseling/community mental health counseling. I was working as an addictions counselor but since I moved I will be starting a new job as an adolescent mental health counselor.
  • edited December 2011
    I worked for starbucks to put myself through college, but quit to have more time with the FI once he got back from deployment in December.

Now I'm just a student, but in my final year so it's kicking my ass still .
    Math major :)
  • edited December 2011
    I'm a student studying Psychology and once I have my degree I plan on going back for my Nursing degree.  Oh and I waitress.  I used to work in retail but working 60 hour weeks and all of the holidays really got  to me!
    Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    After separating from AD, I work at a drive through coffee place, but thanks to GGirl & Calindi, I've decided to move back to NC with my parents until my H comes home next year. I want to go to school to get my RN, so I'll probably start that in the fall to at least get 1 semester out of the way before we PCS.

ETA: Right now I work at a drive through coffee place... Lame.
    Photobucket
  • melbelle24melbelle24 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm just about to start my 3rd year of medical school, so dnb and ggirl, I completely (and unfortunately) know what you mean about having tons of student loans.  I'm just ready to be done with school and actually working. 6 years of school with 2 more to go... it's killing me!
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_poll-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:613948a7-0ddc-4fd9-b2f8-e51eb9c81c5fPost:145710df-14d9-4643-9331-77efd5515e20">Re: Poll: What do you do?</a>:
    [QUOTE]After separating from AD, I work at a drive through coffee place, but thanks to GGirl & Calindi, I've decided to move back to NC with my parents until my H comes home next year. I want to go to school to get my RN, so I'll probably start that in the fall to at least get 1 semester out of the way before we PCS. ETA: Right now I work at a drive through coffee place... Lame.
    Posted by SamiJoeB[/QUOTE]
    YAY SAM FOR COMING DOWN SOUTH!!
  • edited December 2011
    I know!!! now I wish I didn't have to wait a month! But I'll have plenty to do!!
    Photobucket
  • kyrgyzstankyrgyzstan member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I have a PS degree with a concentration in National Security and a certificate in IR. I want to be a Marine, but we have to get ourselves married first. Since we didn't want to rush marriage for any reason, I'm an office manager for the present time. I like it.
    I hate Dave Ramsey
  • edited December 2011
    I'm a student. I'm studying to be a teacher. I still have about 4 more years until I have my credentials and Masters. That takes up the majority of my time. When I'm not at school I'm either babysitting for my sister or planning the wedding! 
    March 2012 Siggy Challenge: Honeymoon - Undecided (NYC or DC)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I'm an accounts payable supervisor.
  • calindicalindi member
    edited December 2011

Well, I'm wondering the same thing.  A lot of women become nurses, as it's a highly flexible career and always in demand.  Others are teachers (which is what I'm starting to pursue now) and others find a way to do whatever they want to do.  You may have to spend some time apart if your career or education takes you away from the duty stations where your guy is assigned, but as long as you both trust each other, you can do whatever you need to be happy both personally and professionally.

Anniversary

• edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_poll-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:613948a7-0ddc-4fd9-b2f8-e51eb9c81c5fPost:c95ab03f-5279-47cf-9ea3-3b896ce92c1c">Re: Poll: What do you do?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Well, I'm wondering the same thing.  A lot of women become nurses, as it's a highly flexible career and always in demand.  Others are teachers (which is what I'm starting to pursue now) and others find a way to do whatever they want to do.  You may have to spend some time apart if your career or education takes you away from the duty stations where your guy is assigned, but as long as you both trust each other, you can do whatever you need to be happy both personally and professionally.
    Posted by calindi[/QUOTE]

<div>Yep, this happens a lot!  I ALWAYS wanted to be a nurse.  But the competition to get into nursing school is ridiculous which is why I'm getting my Psych degree first and then going back to get my nursing degree.  After we get married I'll still have a year left of school for my first degree (since I chose to move around with my FI before we were engaged and I was still in school I lost a TON of credits from transferring so much so I've been in school for a while!) and then I may or may not transfer to where he is for nursing school.  It will all depend on where I get accepted!</div>
    Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_poll-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:613948a7-0ddc-4fd9-b2f8-e51eb9c81c5fPost:a1b5f74a-4c9b-4b1a-8a6e-740e3253f89b">Re: Poll: What do you do?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Poll: What do you do? : Yep, this happens a lot!  I ALWAYS wanted to be a nurse.  But the competition to get into nursing school is ridiculous which is why I'm getting my Psych degree first and then going back to get my nursing degree.  After we get married I'll still have a year left of school for my first degree (since I chose to move around with my FI before we were engaged and I was still in school I lost a TON of credits from transferring so much so I've been in school for a while!) and then I may or may not transfer to where he is for nursing school.  It will all depend on where I get accepted!
    Posted by greeneke2[/QUOTE]

This is what scares me about getting my RN.. Its so freaking competetive. My aunt has been an RN for 25 years, and she just got her hours cut back to like nothing... I wanted to be an nurse since I was like 3. I felt like this would be a good choice with H wanting to stay in for 30 years, but now I'm not so sure.
    Photobucket
  • kara811kara811 member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_poll-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:613948a7-0ddc-4fd9-b2f8-e51eb9c81c5fPost:3b984b40-6c4a-466b-a011-b8df65eacb88">Re: Poll: What do you do?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Poll: What do you do? : This is what scares me about getting my RN.. Its so freaking competetive. My aunt has been an RN for 25 years, and she just got her hours cut back to like nothing... I wanted to be an nurse since I was like 3. I felt like this would be a good choice with H wanting to stay in for 30 years, but now I'm not so sure.

<div>
    </div><div>Ditto. I was in school for my RN too. It's so competitive. Out of hundreds of applicants, they only accept 60 per semester! </div><div>
    </div><div>Now, I'm thinking about switiching to a different medical field or something completely different, maybe teaching. </div>
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_poll-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:613948a7-0ddc-4fd9-b2f8-e51eb9c81c5fPost:3b984b40-6c4a-466b-a011-b8df65eacb88">Re: Poll: What do you do?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Poll: What do you do? : This is what scares me about getting my RN.. Its so freaking competetive. My aunt has been an RN for 25 years, and she just got her hours cut back to like nothing... I wanted to be an nurse since I was like 3. I felt like this would be a good choice with H wanting to stay in for 30 years, but now I'm not so sure.

<div>In my area there are SOOOO many nursing jobs and none of my friends had ANY problems getting a job after graduation.  The problem is that there aren't enough nursing instructors which is why the space in nursing schools tend to be so limited.  My friend that I went to college with had  3.8 GPA and had volunteer work at a children's hospital and worked full time and she got denied from the nursing program at our school, which is what made me realize I should just get a different degree first and then go back.  Its a little bit easier to get in and do an accelerated BSN then to just get my BSN straight out.  And my friend that got rejected is planning on doing the same thing that I am.</div>
    Photobucket
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_poll-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:613948a7-0ddc-4fd9-b2f8-e51eb9c81c5fPost:0539fe1a-e751-4d6a-ab97-21e6bdaecac5">Re: Poll: What do you do?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Poll: What do you do? : Ditto. I was in school for my RN too. It's so competitive. Out of hundreds of applicants, they only accept 60 per semester! <strong> Now, I'm thinking about switiching to a different medical field or something completely different, maybe teaching. 
    </strong>Posted by kara811[/QUOTE]

<div>Honestly, I don't really recommend it, and I wish they would take it off the list of good jobs for military spouses.  It's a giant PITA because every state has different certification requirements and exams.  So it gets expensive and time consuming when you move.  Plus, you are going into school districts that have had people subbing for years waiting for jobs, so it's hard to get in and get a full time job.  That's why I'm not teaching while we are here, and really hoping to be able to when we move next.  We are planning on staying there at least 5 years so that will hopefully help me.  </div>
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Lol yeah, I've been mentally kicking myself for not having gotten my bachelors in nursing - then I could be living with/near Fi, working, and maybe even working on an advanced degree. But I guess when I picked my undergrad major I wasn't thinking I'd be an Army wife!

To answer my own question, even though I think I mentioned it when I introduced myself, I'm currently working on a master's in genetic counseling. I'm not working at all, just racking up the giant money pit of student loans...and crossing my fingers that when I'm done I'll be able to find a job in my field near wherever Fi will be stationed!!

Melbelle, at least you're getting to the good part! Do third years get to see patients? We always have med students around the hospital I'm at but I never ask what year they are...
    White Knot Visit The Knot! Daisypath Graduation tickers
  • kara811kara811 member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_poll-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:613948a7-0ddc-4fd9-b2f8-e51eb9c81c5fPost:d9646bc8-4839-4c70-ac11-0c2563a63f14">Re: Poll: What do you do?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Poll: What do you do? : Honestly, I don't really recommend it, and I wish they would take it off the list of good jobs for military spouses.  It's a giant PITA because every state has different certification requirements and exams.  So it gets expensive and time consuming when you move.  Plus, you are going into school districts that have had people subbing for years waiting for jobs, so it's hard to get in and get a full time job.  That's why I'm not teaching while we are here, and really hoping to be able to when we move next.  We are planning on staying there at least 5 years so that will hopefully help me.  
    Posted by dnbeach12[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>That's a good point. I was considering it because I love kids, especially in the pre school age. I don't work right now since I'm in Japan and we're due to PCS in September, but I was certified and did daycare for a few years while in school. And I really liked doing that and thought maybe I could do teaching. </div>
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_poll-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:613948a7-0ddc-4fd9-b2f8-e51eb9c81c5fPost:af87f197-8f3c-4378-b241-8eac8cc14595">Re: Poll: What do you do?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Poll: What do you do? : That's a good point. I was considering it because I love kids, especially in the pre school age. I don't work right now since I'm in Japan and we're due to PCS in September, but I was certified and did daycare for a few years while in school. And I really liked doing that and thought maybe I could do teaching. 
    Posted by kara811[/QUOTE]

<div>Do you know where you'll be going next yet?  I know you mentioned maybe WA.  </div><div>
    </div><div>Don't get me wrong, I love teaching.  I just hate how difficult it is to get a teaching job, especially moving a lot.  I'm sure it's going to look bad that I haven't taught in 2 years while we were here, but hopefully my 5 years before that was enough for schools to still hire me.</div>
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_poll-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:613948a7-0ddc-4fd9-b2f8-e51eb9c81c5fPost:249697cb-f634-4189-918e-e384825eb4ea">Re: Poll: What do you do?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Lol yeah, I've been mentally kicking myself for not having gotten my bachelors in nursing - then I could be living with/near Fi, working, and maybe even working on an advanced degree. But I guess when I picked my undergrad major I wasn't thinking I'd be an Army wife! To answer my own question, even though I think I mentioned it when I introduced myself,<strong> I'm currently working on a master's in genetic counseling. I'm not working at all, just racking up the giant money pit of student loans.</strong>..and crossing my fingers that when I'm done I'll be able to find a job in my field near wherever Fi will be stationed!! Melbelle, at least you're getting to the good part! Do third years get to see patients? We always have med students around the hospital I'm at but I never ask what year they are...
    Posted by SarahP787[/QUOTE]

<div>The student loans are ridiculous.  It makes me sick to think about how much money I have spent on my education and how much money in loans I have had.  Luckily, my FI asked me if I would like to use his GI Bill after we get married.  So, hopefully I won't be racking up too much more student loan debt.</div>
    Photobucket
    edited December 2011
    Beachy-I think you will be ok, although I don't know what the teaching situation is like in VA. You are able to say that it was because of the military, not just because you felt like not teaching.

Also, sometimes I regret not going to schoo for physical therapy. I had a full ride at an awesome school for it and I decided to go for education. URG.
  • edited December 2011
    What part of VA are you going to?  If you are going to the VA Beach area, there are TONS of schools.  I'm not sure what grade level you teach but I can't imagine that it would be too difficult to get a job in the area.
    Photobucket
  • calindicalindi member
    edited December 2011
    I'm trying to get into teaching right now, and apparently I have a good chance of getting hired this fall (shortage of math teachers).  I'd like to keep teaching after we relocate, but ultimately I'd love to be a writer and I think I have what it takes to sell a lot of books (that doesn't sound very modest, but writing is one thing in which I've always been particularly skilled).  So the idea is once we move, for me to get a part-time job and spend the rest of the time trying to write and get published hopefully.  If I can find a teaching job, I'll write during the summers.

Anniversary

• kara811kara811 member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_poll-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:613948a7-0ddc-4fd9-b2f8-e51eb9c81c5fPost:4580855e-4ae7-4ac9-b6cf-70c2ccc20173">Re: Poll: What do you do?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Poll: What do you do? : Do you know where you'll be going next yet?  I know you mentioned maybe WA.   Don't get me wrong, I love teaching.  I just hate how difficult it is to get a teaching job, especially moving a lot.  I'm sure it's going to look bad that I haven't taught in 2 years while we were here, but hopefully my 5 years before that was enough for schools to still hire me.
    Posted by dnbeach12[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>Nope. We still have no idea. We've been trying to work it out with the detailer, but the system was down so they couldn't even look into the ships that H could go to. Then when the system was finally back up, the guy went on leave, and the person he told H to contact has not responded. </div><div>
    </div><div>We are leaning more towards San Diego now, because H likes the Vinson, but if not we'd like Bremerton. </div>
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_poll-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:613948a7-0ddc-4fd9-b2f8-e51eb9c81c5fPost:21960366-7f3e-4d42-be4b-be0c24ac0270">Re: Poll: What do you do?</a>:
    [QUOTE]What part of VA are you going to?  If you are going to the VA Beach area, there are TONS of schools.  I'm not sure what grade level you teach but I can't imagine that it would be too difficult to get a job in the area.
    Posted by greeneke2[/QUOTE]

<div>Yeah we'll be in Newport News/Norfolk area.  Not quite sure where we'll live yet since we want to buy a house.  H will be at Newport News for about a year and half probably, then most likely be at Norfolk, so we kinda want to be in between.  I know for a while they were hiring tons of teachers, then I heard about a lot of layoffs a year or so ago.  So I'm hoping I can get something.  I'm PE and Health, which limits it since there's only a few teachers per school</div>
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Newport News/Norfolk are both a part of hampton roads so really if you lived in any of the 7 cities it wouldn't be too far of a drive.  I went to high school in Chesapeake and there were I think like 10 high schools in our district alone and that didn't even include the other 6 cities around us.  I think you will be perfectly fine.  The job scene in the Hampton roads isn't crumbling like everywhere else!  It was near impossible for me to find a job when we were at Lejeune and when I moved home I got a job the first day I went out looking!
    Photobucket
    edited December 2011
    That's awesome to hear, thanks!
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    No problem!  I lived in the Hampton Roads area almost my entire life with the exception of when I went to college and when I moved to live with my fiance, so I know A LOT about the area if you need to know anything!
    Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards