June 2012 Weddings

Vows.

Are you doing personalized vows or not?

First Look
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Vows.

• Definitely personalzed. We wanted to say something meaningful to each other that traditional vows just don't cover...
    Vacation White Knot
  • personalized, plus the "i do"s and a ring ceremony
    Anniversary
  • We're doing traditional vows sort of. I re-read my stuff from the church the other night and I'm kind of disappointed. They don't allow couples to write their own vows but the wording isn't what I want. I'm going to talk to our priest about doing the traditional ones
  • sticking to the traditional ones
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • we are doing traditional vows. to me they hold a very special meaning. they are the kind of words that I have never said to anyone else. and I don't plan on ever saying them to anyone else.
    personalized vows...well, if i had to write one, I would end up saying things that I have already said to him. to me personaly they lack exclusiveness that a traditional vow gives. I value tradition in general and it holds a very sentimental value to me. I might have a little idolized perspective of the traditional vows compared to others. to me they are as important part of a proper wedding as the officiant itself is. without them, it just wouldn't feel right to me.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Our celebrant is pretty standardized, which is fine with me.  We can chose one of 3 options.  Thinking we might write each other love notes before the wedding instead of doing vows :)

June 2012 August Siggy Challenge: Favourite Pro Pic (I couldn't choose just one!)
    imageDaisypath Vacation tickers Daisypath Vacation tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • We're writing our own.  I've always wanted to write my own vows, I'm such a romantic. :)  Our officiant gave us a really good outline to follow and has really put FI at ease (at first he was really nervous at the thought of writing vows): In part one you say what attracted you to your mate in the first place, part two is what you love about them now, and part three is what you promise for the future.  We're including some traditional wording in our third parts, though, because I love the traditional aspect.
  • We're doing a bit of both. FI really really wants to write his own vows. It's really the only part of the wedding that he is really adamant about. So I figure we'll both recite our personal vows and then recite the traditional ones.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_vows-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:c6e88f5e-6f74-4a18-904b-9104826f32daPost:2faa5cd9-364c-4d1d-bca4-182aa6b14ea1">Re: Vows.</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>Our celebrant is pretty standardized, which is fine with me.  We can chose one of 3 options.  </strong>Thinking we might write each other love notes before the wedding instead of doing vows :)
    Posted by janeash[/QUOTE]

<div>This is kind of what we're doing. We had some options to choose from with our Pastor.</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image 92 Ready to party!
  • We are writing our own. But we are writing our entire ceremony ourselves.
  • I really like traditional vows, but I want them a little personalized - I want something that's better tailored to "us," and not something that everyone else has heard so much that they could be repeating it along with our officiant.
    Mrs. Abbe Peanut Butter || Planning Bio
    June 2012 February Signature: Favorite picture of you & FI
  • FI and I will get a few moments prior to the vows to speak to each other.  Then we will go into more traditional vows.  

I've heard a lot that when couples write their own "vows" often they aren't vows at all ... just the reasons why they love each other.  If you do decide to write your own vows, you have to make sure that there are promises in there.  I figured it was best we keep those to the professional Smile
  • We're doing personalized vows.  I'm really excited about it too.
  • I think we may write love notes to each other for before and then do the traditional vows during the ceremony.

First Look
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I looked at a lot of vows online and found three that I really liked, then combined them into what I wanted it to say.

• We are traditional vows.

• We are doing a personalized part and then going into the traditional vows. I think it's a good mix of "tradition" but still "us".
  • My FI was really clear that he wants us to write our own vows, so that's what we'll be doing. I'm kind of terrifed though, because I have no idea what to write. Plus, we're not letting each other see what we write until the ceremony. So it will be very interesting! 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_vows-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:c6e88f5e-6f74-4a18-904b-9104826f32daPost:22548096-907f-44a4-808c-2d8ebf018459">Re: Vows.</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>I think we may write love notes to each other for before</strong> and then do the traditional vows during the ceremony.
    Posted by peachykeen26[/QUOTE]

we are doing this with our gifts too
  • We have to use the standard church vows, but I'm okay with that. I think if we did our own we'd end up crying.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_vows-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:c6e88f5e-6f74-4a18-904b-9104826f32daPost:08968f8d-294a-4771-8e53-be0844076b76">Re: Vows.</a>:
    [QUOTE]We're doing traditional vows sort of. I re-read my stuff from the church the other night and I'm kind of disappointed. They don't allow couples to write their own vows but the wording isn't what I want. I'm going to talk to our priest about doing the traditional ones
    Posted by Zimsgirl[/QUOTE]
    This might be a little helpful in understanding why, for the most part, the Catholic church does not allow for couples to write their own vows.

<a href="http://www.catholicweddinghelp.com/questions/vows.htm" target="_blank" rel="nofollow"></a><a href="http://www.catholicweddinghelp.com/questions/vows.htm" rel="nofollow"><u><font color="#800080">http://www.catholicweddinghelp.com/questions/vows.htm</font></u></a>

But every priest and diocese is different.  Maybe when you talk to him, ask if you could submit the vows to him ahead of time for approval.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_vows-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:c6e88f5e-6f74-4a18-904b-9104826f32daPost:faa7c49d-81ec-47c8-a610-4cc389b83d62">Re: Vows.</a>:
    [QUOTE]personalized, plus the "i do"s and a ring ceremony
    Posted by Nindakay[/QUOTE]

This exactly. I still really wanted to be able to say "I do". I know I'm silly but isn't that always a little girl's fantasy :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Both. We have vows that we will repeat (although they are not the traditional "I X take you X to be my lawfully wedded husband") and then we are each writing something personal that's about 2 paragraphs or so.
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards