October 2012 Weddings

QOTD 5/17

Have you ever done any volunteer work?
Anniversary imagemy read shelf:
Cathy (CathyL7910)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

Re: QOTD 5/17

• Yes, I volunteered at a peer tutor in highschool, with several musical groups and most recently on a semi-regular basis at the local humane society and Salvation Army thrift store.
    Anniversary
  • Yes. I volunteer at a soup kitchen a few times a year. I also volunteer at a drug and alcohol rehab that caters to mothers with young children. I help them develop and run fundraisers, so the women can have all the items they need for themselves and their children.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I did alot when I was in HS with the theater programs and Big Brothers/Big Sisters.  I also coached 7 seasons of Pop Warner cheerleading and was on the Board of Directors.  Once that became politcal, I stopped.  I haven't done much since, but I have wanted to do something.  I keep talking about the relay for Life, but I haven't looked into it too much.
    Anniversary imagemy read shelf:
    Cathy (CathyL7910)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Yes. I volunteer when I can for the MS society since it is a cause that is important to my family and I.

My family also does Christmas in April when we can. It is where you help people struggling financially or b/c of some kind of disability with their house . . . cleaning, landscaping, home improvements, etc.

I enjoy volunteering when I can.
    172 Invited. image
    130 Accepted. image
    42 Declined. image
    0 Can't find the mailbox. imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • I have spent my whole life volunteering at one thing or another. Pretty much every opportunity I get.

While I lived in Florida I spent a few years as a volunteer with the Family Readiness Group for the Army Reserve.  We helped support the deployed troops and their families at home.  Having been an Army wife and alone while my first husband was over in Desert Storm, I know the sacrifices the troops and their families make for our country and I wanted to give back.  

Another thing I have always done is dog rescue.  I help transport dogs to foster homes (I have too many of my own to foster)  or bring them to new adopted homes. I participate in lots of fundraisers and do tons of sewing to make things we sell to raise money to help the dogs. Our group has saved and rehomed somewhere close to 100 dogs in the last year!

Just a few weeks ago I joined a few members of my church in going to help out at the Salvation Army center nearby.  They provide some temporary housing for some homeless people and we adopted a couple of rooms to fix up and make them feel more like home.  We painted, hung drapes, bought some little knick knacks, lamps, pillows, etc.  The transformation was awesome. 

Counting the days until I marry the man of my dreams. Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • lehc723lehc723 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    Sure; lots in high school (a children's theater troupe, a walkathon to support MADD and SADD, stuff through my church). Now, though, I volunteer with a theater company doing their PR and marketing for free.
    Anniversary
  • I do various volunteering activities throughout the year, but a few years ago, my big volunteering task was being a CASA (Court Appointed Special Advocate).  I was paired with a 14 year old girl who is in the foster care system and I was her advocate that would follow her to any home or school she was bounced to, and speak on her behalf to the court system.  I was with her until she emancipated into the system.  It was amazing, but very time consuming, which is why I've taken a bit of time off since I was with her for almost 4 years.  I am still active with the organization though. 

• In Response to Re:QOTD 5/17:[QUOTE]I do various volunteering activities throughout the year, but a few years ago, my big volunteering task was being a CASA Court Appointed Special Advocate.nbsp; I was paired with a 14 year old girl who is in the foster care system and I was her advocate that would follow her to any home or school she was bounced to, and speak on her behalf to the court system.nbsp; I was with her until she emancipated into the system.nbsp; It was amazing, but very time consuming, which is why I've taken a bit of time off since I was with her for almost 4 years.nbsp; I am still active with the organization though.nbsp; Posted by lwoehlk[/QUOTE]

Lwoehlk, that is AWESOME. I worked in foster care for awhile after I graduated, and people like you are sorely needed in that system.
    October 2012 December Siggy - A Favorite Wedding Photo image
  • I am a volunteer EMT for the past 6 years. Every Monday night from 6pm-6am I ride the ambulance and do what is needed in the town for people. I usually total over 650 hours a year of volunteering at the squad, plus myself and my fiance are the cadet advisors (volunteers between 15-18) at the squad and help get them all started being first aiders and hopefully EMTs.

In the past I have done volunteer child care, built some houses, went to Belize and built a museum in the jungle, worked in a soup kitchen, and a bunch of other things.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Definitely a bunch back in highschool. One of my favorites was I had a class to get my captain's license...yes, a h/s class! And afterwards, I would help clean the boats, work on repairing them, and help the library. The library would have wine tasting events I would help with at night. That was definitely, hands down, my favorite volunteer work!
    weddingpic
  • Yup!

In high school I had log volunteer hours for National Honor Society.  I did lots of things like the March of Dimes and various other thigns in the community.

In college I was a part of a lot of student groups that did volunteer work.  All freshmen at the University of Rochester take part in a community service day, even though it's mostly for freshmen I did this every year.  I was also involved with Colleges Against Cancer and Relay for Life.

Grad school has made it tough to volunteer as much as I'd like.  I did a Memory Walk for the Alzheimer's Association (my grandfather has Alzheimer's) and I've given talks on careers in science to my old high school.  Also, my mom does a kids clothes drive for kids in need and I've been helping her with that.

I think it's so important to pay it forward!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • LDubHawksFanLDubHawksFan member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited May 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_october-2012-weddings_qotd-517?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:56b9bcef-1e34-456e-81f5-cfaa107456b2Discussion:922f9f48-45b0-41cd-9778-0575e9629477Post:d98adfd7-0b06-438a-add3-ab325d885814">Re:QOTD 5/17</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re:QOTD 5/17: Lwoehlk, that is AWESOME. I worked in foster care for awhile after I graduated, and people like you are sorely needed in that system.
    Posted by pockysquirrel[/QUOTE]
    Thanks!  I am such a fan of the program.  There is such a sortage of people for the kids.  It is specifically for children in the foster care system who have been abused or neglected, and there is a huge wait list!  I know the program is in several states.  I look forward to doing it again.  I just needed a little me time after she emancipated, which coincided with when we were buying a house, and now planning a wedding, before I commit to another child.  I chose to work with a teenager too, because unfortunately even with the volunteers, a lot of them want to work with the cute little kids that are "fun".  By the time some of these kids hit their preteens, they are unofficially deemed "unadoptable", which is utterly heartbreaking.  I figured someone at that age, who even without being in the foster care system, would be going through so many changes and really need guidance, needed my help the most.  Again, I love the program and would encourage anyone to get involved.

I really enjoy todays QOTD.  We have some good ladies in this group!

• I did a lot in HS and university. At the hospital and humane society. But now I never seem to find the time.
    October 2012 December Siggy: Favourite Wedding Picture
    PIC_281copy1 Anniversary
  • My current volunteer work is at a provincial crisis line, I've been there for years and do a shift every week. 
  • I volunteer for Big Brothers Big Sisters.  I am currently matched with a 13 year old girl.  See her every other weekend, next month will be 2 years!  I absolutley love doing it.  Even though life gets busy sometimes its nice to take the time out and know you are (hopefully) helping someone else.
    Follow Me on Pinterest image

Weight Loss Journey Blog- Feel free to read if you like!updated 3/25/12 http://danaslapbandjourney.blogspot.com/
  • In the past, I volunteered with a few Relays for Life, in honor of my mom, who passed away from ovarian cancer when I was in high school.

Currently, I volunteer with Honor Flight, an organization that flies veterans (specifically WWII vets and any terminally ill vet from another war) to Washington DC to visit their memorial, free of charge. It's an AWESOME organization. I got into it because my grandpa was honored with an Honor Flight in October 2010 and I accompanied him as his guardian. Once I moved to my current city, I started volunteering with our local hub. Typical duties involve assisting at "meet and greets," where the vets meet each other and get information about their particular flight, getting the guys ready at the airport the morning of their flight (ugh 4:00am), and welcoming them back home when they return from DC (this is always fantastic, with LOTS of people there celebrating them, their service, and accomplishments). 
  • Wow!  I am so proud to be among such a great group of ladies!! 
    Counting the days until I marry the man of my dreams. Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards